SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mass shootings, media conglomerates, and SIGforum
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mass shootings, media conglomerates, and SIGforum Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Progressives’ Cynical Exploitation of Mass Shootings
https://www.frontpagemag.com/f...tings-bruce-thornton

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24026 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I agree. If the media wouldn't sensationalize these shootings maybe (but doubtful) they might slow down. Seems like all these shooters want is for everyone to know and remember their name.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I stopped watching TV around 2013. The internet is far more entertaining and not nearly as one sided or propagandist as cable TV. Sure the internet is full of misinformation and propaganda but Cable TV is far worse. Fuck the legacy media including Fox News until the sun burns out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21099 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I stopped watching TV around 2013.

I stopped in 2015 mainly because of televised news.
Fear and hate is all they spread. Race baiting, disinformation and separation.
Excellent post Para.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ubique
Picture of TSE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by molachi:
I agree. If the media wouldn't sensationalize these shootings maybe (but doubtful) they might slow down. Seems like all these shooters want is for everyone to know and remember their name.

There is science behind the theory, the press just don't care: https://www.hhs.gov/answers/me...gion-mean/index.html

quote:
Suicide contagion is the exposure to suicide or suicidal behaviors within one's family, one's peer group, or through media reports of suicide and can result in an increase in suicide and suicidal behaviors. Direct and indirect exposure to suicidal behavior has been shown to precede an increase in suicidal behavior in persons at risk for suicide, especially in adolescents and young adults.

The risk for suicide contagion as a result of media reporting can be minimized by factual and concise media reports of suicide. Reports of suicide should not be repetitive, as prolonged exposure can increase the likelihood of suicide contagion. Suicide is the result of many complex factors; therefore media coverage should not report oversimplified explanations such as recent negative life events or acute stressors. Reports should not divulge detailed descriptions of the method used to avoid possible duplication. Reports should not glorify the victim and should not imply that suicide was effective in achieving a personal goal such as gaining media attention. In addition, information such as hotlines or emergency contacts should be provided for those at risk for suicide.

Following exposure to suicide or suicidal behaviors within one's family or peer group, suicide risk can be minimized by having family members, friends, peers, and colleagues of the victim evaluated by a mental health professional. Persons deemed at risk for suicide should then be referred for additional mental health services.

Para is right, and probably helping to save lives too.

Calgary Shooting Centre

Posts: 1493 | Location: Alberta | Registered: July 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
What monumental effort would it take to get the media to call these events what they really are: mass murders?

God bless America.

Posts: 13481 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
I’m on board 100%! Thank you chief!

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
As usual, plenty of people were aware of this guy's violence and potential for much worse but mostly did nothing when it could have helped.

Posts: 9488 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm definitely with the boss on this one as far as the media is concerned.

The only thing I care to analyze are the nuts and bolts of the incident as it pertains to what can be done better or sustained in terms of an effective response, but that is the A.L.I.C.E. instructor in me talking. https://www.alicetraining.com/

What I really like about that organization is they never mention the names of the shooters either, but rather focus on the names of the heroes involved who saved lives.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
btt

Posts: 107413 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Maybe a permanent BTT would be a good idea so less frequent visitors see this.

Back to the subject. For those that want to pass more laws, the Odessa shooter failed a background check for mental health info that popped up on his record. Filing a false statement on that form is already a felony. Does anyone actually enforce that already existing law?

https://www.washingtonpost.com...y-gun-fear-not-feds/

Posts: 9488 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Well-stated, Para.

I, too, have gotten to the point where I don't even want to hear about it any more. As with you: Not out of callousness--much less a desire to be uninformed or to avoid news I find uncomfortable or discouraging, but because I, too, have come to the conclusion somebody's trying to play me, and I won't have it.

Could not have stated my position any better than that stated by ensigmatic!

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25641 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I concur with Para and most responses up to this point.

The only exception I have is that I will read about it once as an event occurs and again three to five days later as more facts are known.
This isn't about any morbid curiosity, but I try to learn about the details only to sharpen how I might respond if found to be in those situations. In addition, I only try to learn details only to respond to peers who are worked up about it.

Can this thread be made a "sticky"? It is a very good reminder to all how Para's forum operates in regards to commenting on mass murders.

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1512 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRIO:
Can this thread be made a "sticky"?
Any thread can become a featured topic but I won't feature this thread right now. Featured threads take up real estate at the top of the first page of a given forum section. For this reason I try to limit the number of featured threads. However, yes, this thread will be featured eventually, as these insane shootings are here to stay, and we would do well to be fully aware of how these events are being used by the news media, and what we can do to deny these soulless conglomerates access to our minds.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
And yet the Sun Times ran this article on the labor day festivities, so clearly it's not about people being killed by guns,

Link

43 shot — 8 fatally — in Chicago Labor Day weekend shootings

A 15-year-old boy shot Sunday in Austin is among the eight people killed.

By Sun-Times Wire Updated Sep 3, 2019, 5:16am CDT

Posts: 23359 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Time to bring this back to the top

Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love my country. With all my heart, I love my country and I am so very proud to be an American. My desire to avoid the hyper-spun "news" of these tragic events does not arise from callousness, although some will see it as such, no doubt. It comes down to my utter disgust with being played with like a toy by the unethical shills of gigantic media conglomerates.

That is like a mini prayer or at least a chant. Well said.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5907 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
In a culture that doesn't differentiate between becoming famous (through accomplishments that better oneself and the community) and infamous (through destructive actions that harm individuals or communities), publicizing the actions of infamous/evil actors creates a self-fulfilling prophesy of more of the same.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10192 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
"Wait until all the facts are in before jumping to any conclusions."

My father taught me this at a young age. When I had a son of my own, I reiterated what my father had taught me, but I added a bit more:

"Remember the media has an agenda in everything they do, and they'll use and abuse any story to advance their agenda."

The timing of the Zimmerman/Martin case was perfect. My son was at just the right age for the Zimmerman case to cement in his mind the truth of what my father and I had told him.

To this day, many people still believe what the media told them about that incident. In fact, after Zimmerman's acquittal, folks who had been duped by the media's lies attempted to murder him - and the media even turned the facts about those incidents around to make Zimmerman look like the stupid, murderous fool they had claimed him to be from the beginning.

It is a classic example of the utter deceit that is the media.

link

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10699 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post