SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 88
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film Login/Join 
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
The prop gun could have been a shotgun. That would explain injuring two people.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
I had the same thought about a shotgun. Would not be surprised to learn that Alec was screwing around or deliberately fired the weapon at the people struck. Where was the gun wrangler?

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4788 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:

Have you EVER patterned a Shotgun. If you had you would not be making this statement.

As for Alec Baldwin, a totally useless sack of shit. What is sad is that both of those shot would be alive, well, and sipping a morning cup of coffee if anyone on that set had an understanding of the rules of gun safety and the gumption to call this asshole out for mishandling a firearm. To be blunt there was prop master who also failed here. That prop master should have had the balls to step up and call out Baldwin for mishandling a firearm.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5646 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

While I have sympathy for this innocent person who was killed, this is a whole boatload of karma for Baldwin, who has been vocally anti-gun, anti-American and who has harassed and assaulted people on the street over nothing.

The best thing that can come from this incident is the total destruction of Baldwin's reputation and career.

Posts: 2484 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I remember an article in TV Guide, written after the death of Hexum, by a television show director. In the article he mentioned that on his set that sort of incident would not have happened, the moment the scene being filmed was finished the firearm would be immediately removed from the actor. His (the director) method for using a gun in a scene was to have the special effects man show the actor however many blanks or dummy rounds would be used, load them in the firearm and then hand the weapon to the actor, when the scene was finished the effects man stepped in, took the firearm away from the actor, unloading the weapon and counting the rounds again and immediately placing the firearm in the secure locker. In the case of Hexum he was walking around on the set long after the scene had been filmed and playing with the revolver. The author of the article said on his sets his rules were inviolate, no exceptions, as he phrased it “I flew with the Blue Angels, when the performance called for flying at 100 feet we flew at 100 feet, not 99 feet, not 101 feet, 100 feet and I apply that same type of thinking to my work in the television industry.”

Posts: 12179 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
quote:

Have you EVER patterned a Shotgun. If you had you would not be making this statement.

Uh, yes I have, thank you very much.

I also know it’s possible on a movie set for people to be standing in close proximity, behind one another, and a little offset, enough for a tight pattern to get multiple targets. You could get the arm of the front person and get the rear person square in the chest. When dealing with blanks, a shotgun wad and filler, like cream of wheat, has more mass than anything in a pistol cartridge, and is more likely to be deadly at close range than a pistol.

I don’t know what movie props use for shotgun blanks, but however they're made, they’ve got more destructive potential than a pistol cartridge. Hence my original statement.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigcrazy7,

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I wonder if this is a repeat of the 1993 Crow tragedy with Brandon Lee, if this movie is a Western then it would mean they are also using revolvers:

quote:

On March 31, 1993, Lee was filming a scene in The Crow where his character is shot and killed by thugs.[97] In the scene, Lee's character walks into his apartment and discovers his fiancée being beaten and raped, and a thug played by actor Michael Massee is to fire a Smith & Wesson Model 629 .44 Magnum revolver at Lee's character as he walks into the room.[98]

In the film shoot preceding the fatal scene, the prop gun, which is a real revolver, was loaded with improperly-made dummy rounds, cartridges from which the special-effects crew had removed the powder charges so in close-ups the revolver would show normal-looking ammunitions. However, the crew neglected to remove the primers from the cartridges. At some point before the fatal event, one of the rounds had been fired; although there was no powder charges, the energy from the ignited primer was enough to separate the bullet from the casing and push it part-way into the gun barrel, where it got stuck (a condition known as a squib load). For the fatal scene, which called for the revolver to be fired at Lee from a distance of 3.6–4.5 meters (12–15 ft), the dummy cartridges were replaced with blank rounds, which contained a powder charge and the primer, but no solid bullet, allowing the gun to be fired with sound and flash effects without the risk of an actual projectile. However, the gun was not properly checked and cleared before the blank round was fired, and the dummy bullet previously lodged in the barrel was then propelled forward by the blank and shot out the muzzle with almost the same force as if the round were live, striking Lee in the abdomen.[99][100]

After Massee pulled the trigger, Lee was supposed to fall forward instead of backward. When the director said "cut", Lee did not stand up and the crew thought he was either still acting or kidding around. Jeff Imada, who immediately checked Lee, noticed something wrong when he came close and noted Lee was unconscious and breathing heavily. Medic Clyde Baisey went over and shook Lee to see if he was dazed by hitting his head during the fall, but did not think Lee had been shot since there was no bleeding. Baisey took Lee's pulse, which was regular, but within two to three minutes it slowed down dramatically, and stopped...

Brandon Lee

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
He could've been acting something out in the course of conferring over a scene with them. Something went horribly wrong in a Hollywood production that shouldn't have, and it remains to be seen specifically whether Hollywood personnel, Hollywood practices or both are to blame.
I seriously doubt we will ever get the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth out of these hypocrites.

The basic fact of the matter is that the simple safety procedures developed and routinely practiced by the gun community were not respected or followed, and an avoidable tragedy resulted. Perhaps if Hollywood (or the actor's precious union) adopted a policy of requiring all actors and crew that touch a firearm (real or "prop") to have completed basic firearms training and be able to demonstrate competent handling and use before they are allowed on set, we might see fewer of these "accidents."

Posts: 6468 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
It certainly sounds like he fired a projectile or projectiles of some sorts from a prop gun.

Alec Baldwin asked why was he given ‘hot gun’ after fatal film set shooting

A distraught Alec Baldwin repeatedly asked why he was given a “hot gun” after his prop weapon discharged on his New Mexico film set Thursday, accidentally killing a cinematographer and injuring the director, witnesses have claimed.

The tragic accident unfolded while Baldwin was filming his upcoming Western film “Rust” at Bonanza Creek Ranch in Sante Fe.

Cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, 42, died and director, Joel Souza, 48, was injured after they were both struck when the gun discharged, the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office said.

Immediately after the incident, an eyewitness told Hollywood gossip site Showbiz 411 that Baldwin started asking how he could have been given a “hot gun” — meaning a firearm loaded with real ammunition.

“In all my years, I’ve never been handed a hot gun,” the actor allegedly kept saying.

The witness said Baldwin was in shock after the ordeal and he “had no idea how badly they were hurt or Halyna was dead.”

https://nypost.com/2021/10/22/...fter-fatal-shooting/

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am remorse for the families of the 2 that were injured and killed. I have zero sympathy for Baldwin. He a vial hateful person and I’m sure with try and place the blame on anyone but himself.

Posts: 455 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
It appears that the safety standards around these productions are lacking.

He is mystified that he could be given a "hot" gun. If the actors handling these prop guns were made part of the safety mechanism with some pre-production training then I believe this could have been avoided. Why did he just take for granted that the gun he was given was in safe working order and loaded correctly? With training, he could have been the last check in a long series of checks prior to the shooting to make sure the firearm was indeed a prop gun and loaded with the proper non-lethal ammo and that there was no barrel obstruction.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oaklane:
I am remorse for the families of the 2 that were injured and killed. I have zero sympathy for Baldwin. He a vial hateful person and I’m sure with try and place the blame on anyone but himself.

Feel the same way. Alec Baldwin has now killed and injured more people with a gun than I have in 35+ years of owning “assault weapons” and “high capacity” magazines.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillyBonesNY:
Why would a Director or Cinematographer be involved with the “action”?
I would think the firearm would have been pointed at another actor.

Alec Baldwin artistic difference melt down?

Confused with the multiple and two non actors being involved.

Movie scenes are often filmed from multiple perspectives - when you see a scene from the perspective of someone who is being shot at, the actor is firing the gun at the camera. From what has been disclosed it sounds like he fired the gun toward the camera and hit the woman behind the camera (cinematographer=camera operator) and the director, who would be there too. It's unclear whether he fired one shot or multiple shots.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Immediately after the incident, an eyewitness told Hollywood gossip site Showbiz 411 that Baldwin started asking how he could have been given a “hot gun” — meaning a firearm loaded with real ammunition.

“In all my years, I’ve never been handed a hot gun,” the actor allegedly kept saying.

As much as I despise this douche-nozzle, he might actually have a point.

Sure, we all know the 4 gun safety rules, but those rules are routinely broken while making movies:

1. Treat all guns as if they are always loaded.
Well, they use blanks or otherwise point at others (using SFX to add the visuals later). I imagine this leads to all sorts of complacency and bad gun handling habits.

2. Never aim/point at anything you don't want to kill or destroy.
Again, they routinely point at others while filming; I imagine this develops a sense of complacency in the actors (for myself, I have a hard time even pointing a squirt gun at somebody).

3. Keep your booger-hook off the bang switch until you are ready to fire.
When the guns they handle aren't 'real,' does it really matter? I use 'finger discipline' when handling a price scanner gun at Sams Club; but I grew up shooting. These california libs have not.

4. Be sure of your target and what is behind it.
Routinely ignored on set while using blanks or dry-firing, or even using fake guns.

If somebody handed baldwin a firearm loaded with real ammo, when everybody was expecting blanks, I would not blame baldwin for the injuries/death. It would be a major safety violation which I would blame on the gun handlers. I mean, are the actors going to check EVERY gun EVERY time they are handed one? Sure, we 'gun people' might. I would not expect the average actor, who has never handled a real gun at the range, to do so. And besides, would they even know the difference? My grandfather loaded blank shotgun shells for us to use in a small cast-iron cannon - I could never tell the difference between a 'real' and a blank. I suppose there was a weight difference, but as a teenager, I never noticed the difference. . .

With a shotgun, this would require unloading every time and feeling the weight of each shell each time for each take. Imagine trying to get an actor to unload every cartridge from every magazine they use - at some point, they would just have to trust the gun handlers.

Of course, this is somewhat karmic for such an anti-gun lib douche. But, I could not necessarily assign blame on baldwin at this point.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Prop gun fired by Alec Baldwin in fatal shooting contained live round: union

The prop gun Alec Baldwin used in the accidental shooting that killed a cinematographer on his upcoming movie “Rust” and wounded the director reportedly contained a “live round.”

A union that covers prop masters sent an email to its members Friday morning in which it said “a single live round was accidentally fired on set by the principal actor,” according to Indie Wire.

Anthony Pawluc, secretary-treasurer of the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees Local 44, wrote that the bullet struck “both the Director of Photography, Local 600 member Halnya Hutchins, and Director Joel Souza,” the site reported.

https://nypost.com/2021/10/22/...campaign=android_nyp

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30407 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I get it Hound Dog, but there is talk about charges being brought against Alec Baldwin for manslaughter because of this. Going forward, an actor can still just take the armorers word for it and accept that risk or they can be proactive and attempt to limit their liability if something goes awry.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

As much as I despise this douche-nozzle, he might actually have a point.

{snip}

If somebody handed baldwin a firearm loaded with real ammo, when everybody was expecting blanks, I would not blame baldwin for the injuries/death.

Bullshit.

Everyone who is handed a gun has the final responsibility for that gun. If you don't know what you are doing, don't handle it.

Not having knowledge of guns is no excuse, In particular IF YOUR FREAKING JOB INVOLVES THE USE OF GUNS. Even if it's just an acting job.

Don't know about guns, then don't take on an acting job using them.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10921 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
I get it Hound Dog, but there is talk about charges being brought against Alec Baldwin for manslaughter because of this. Going forward, an actor can still just take the armorers word for it and accept that risk or they can be proactive and attempt to limit their liability if something goes awry.

I would say the manslaughter charge should go to whoever mixed up the live and blank shells. THEY are the person responsible for the woman's death, IMO.

I mean, there have actually been tv shows written with this sort of plotline (stuff like Murder, She Wrote, Columbo, Etc) - somebody on set slipping a live round into a 'prop' gun in order to trick an actor into actually murdering another actor.

IF it is true that a live shell was accidentally put into the shotgun, then I cannot blame baldwin for this.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21844 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scooter123:
quote:

Wait, what. We have no idea how far the shooter was from the victims, do we?

I don't understand why the "never patterned a shotgun" comment was made here unless the distance is known.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10921 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I was surprised they were using blanks. My understanding had been that most of this had gone to CGI. Expect that it all will be after this tragedy.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post