SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 84
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

One crew member dies, another hospitalized after Alec Baldwin shoots two people on set of his film Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted
One person is dead and another hospitalized Thursday after a prop gun with blanks misfired on the set of the Alec Baldwin-backed film "Rust," authorities said....

MEREDITH DELISO
Thu, October 21, 2021, 8:15 PM·

One person is dead and another hospitalized Thursday after a prop gun with blanks misfired on the set of the Alec Baldwin-backed film "Rust," authorities said.

The Western, starring Baldwin and Jensen Ackles of "Supernatural," began filming this month at Bonanza Creek Movie Ranch, a film location in Sante Fe, New Mexico.

Deputies with the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office responded to the film set around 2 p.m. local time after a 911 call "indicating an individual had been shot on set," the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office said in a statement.

Two people were shot after a prop firearm was discharged during filming, according to authorities. Detectives are still determining "how and what type of projectile was discharged," the sheriff's office said.

The two victims were crew members, according to a producer.

One, a 42-year-old woman, was transported via helicopter to University of New Mexico Hospital, the state's only Level 1 trauma center, "in critical condition," according to sheriff's deputies and the hospital. She later succumbed to her injuries, the sheriff's office said.

The second victim, a 42-year-old man, was brought in an ambulance to Christus St. Vincent Regional Medical Center and is receiving emergency care, authorities said.

The film halted production following the accident, the producer said.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/2-cr...-prop-232251393.html

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Balzé Halzé,

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30284 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a live weapon made its way into the “secure” area somehow.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
Sounds like a live weapon made its way into the “secure” area somehow.

Maybe, but I've heard of prop weapons killing people. This comes to mind:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Lee

Posts: 15895 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Yeah, there is something else going on here. Blanks don't generally kill and maim people.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5023 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For two people to be injured with one discharge from a blank, one badly enough to die, would take one helluva blank round. I'd guess it was more like something exploded sending shrapnel, or a live round as mentioned.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Poor lady. Damn.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
What does misfired mean? Sounds like something sure as hell fired.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9356 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:
For two people to be injured with one discharge from a blank, one badly enough to die, would take one helluva blank round. I'd guess it was more like something exploded sending shrapnel, or a live round as mentioned.

My immediate thought as well. People have been killed with blanks, but usually contact shots and therefore only one victim.

Then again, we’re making assumptions. The way some people are these days (e.g., the guy(?) at Oberlin), the man might have been hospitalized with a ferocious case of the vapours after seeing the woman get shot.

6.4/93.6

“Most men … can seldom accept the simplest and most obvious truth if it … would oblige them to admit the falsity of conclusions … which they have woven, thread by thread, into the fabrics of their lives.”
— Leo Tolstoy

Posts: 47356 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I thought movie prop guns were supposed to be designed to prevent chamber of a live round.

I wounder if a prop revolver would chamber a wad cutter round? I would still question how a live rounds would make it on a set.

I wouldn't think that a prop gun could Kaboom but maybe.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37912 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Alec Baldwin was the one who pulled the trigger.

Alec Baldwin shoots two people, one fatally, during prop gun mishap on set of film ‘Rust,’ cops say

https://nypost.com/2021/10/21/...campaign=android_nyp

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30284 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Begs the question of liability, “accidents” like this shouldn’t happen!

------------------------------------
Good men must sometimes do bad things to bad people; to keep them from doing bad things to the innocent !!

Posts: 736 | Location: Tucson,Az | Registered: August 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
Originally posted by bigwagon:

My immediate thought as well. People have been killed with blanks, but usually contact shots and therefore only one victim.

Then again, we’re making assumptions. The way some people are these days (e.g., the guy(?) at Oberlin), the man might have been hospitalized with a ferocious case of the vapours after seeing the woman get shot.

That's not out of the possibility. However, article(s) say two people got shot, not one got shot and the other fainted.

Q

Posts: 26186 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ajm10:
Begs the question of liability, “accidents” like this shouldn’t happen!

Paging sigfreund! Razz

Q

Posts: 26186 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
To be clear then, Alec Baldwin shot two unarmed people.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15684 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought gas-guns (propane) were used as props, since they don't require any weapons regulation, they cycle like a real gun and most of the sounds, brass extraction & muzzle flashes are inserted in post-production

Posts: 14551 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
It’s a cowboy movie, likely using single action revolvers, -which will chamber a live round. Even though they are supposed to use 5 way blanks…

Lots of prop companies use real weapons and anything can happen unless you follow the four safety rules (even with prop guns)

And a lot of prop guns are modified or manufactured to not be able to chamber live ammo.

We don’t know what happened yet, just wait until more info comes out

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11236 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the man injured was the Director. The poor woman who died was a cinematographer.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

posted Hide Post
I can’t stand Baldwin but that is seriously sad and of course wouldn’t wish that burden on anyone.

The storyline of the movie is sadly ironic.

“Baldwin plays outlaw Harland Rust who helps his estranged 13-year-old grandson run from the law after the teen was sentenced to hanging for the accidental killing of a rancher”

Posts: 3871 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
As already mentioned, blanks have killed people. Jon-Erik Hexum shot himself with a .44 Magnum revolver, not realizing the destructive power of a magnum cartridge at close range even without a bullet.

Brandon Lee also died of a .44 Magnum gunshot that was also a blank...sort of. The prop crew foolishly decided to manufacture their own dummy cartridges from live ammo, thinking it would be safe to remove all the propellant and replace the bullet. They failed to remove or inactivate the primers, however, so when an actor fired it on set, the primer charge pushed the bullet into the barrel- a squib round.

In the subsequent scene with Lee, they loaded the gun with full-power blanks, not realizing there was already a bullet lodged in the barrel. This created what was pretty much a full power Magnum round, which was fired into Lee's abdomen, causing a fatal wound.

Obviously there are a lot of unknown details in this particular tragedy, for instance is it possible for a blank to seriously injure two people.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16251 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Alec Baldwin shot and killed the director of photography, and wounded the film's director.

Posts: 107223 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post