SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Face Mask Purchasers Step Inside
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Face Mask Purchasers Step Inside Login/Join 
posted
The wealth of knowledge here is amazing.

It seems that the new normal will be wearing a face mask when you want to go shopping and even to walk to your table in restaurant.

I want to purchase some washable ones, but I am suffering from Paralysis by Analysis seeing all the ones available. If you purchased ones that you liked which ones were they.

Let's not get into the discussion of yeas and nays. Thanks.

Posts: 158 | Registered: September 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I ordered this one. I'm still waiting for delivery.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
No N95 mask in your garage?

The hand made ones are better than nothing, but not even close to an N95.

True story- wearing an N95 mask, trip to the grocery store, driving my old musty truck. I get out of the store, step into my truck, get situated, and take off my mask. I am immediately struck by the odor of an old musty farm truck. Wow. I put my mask back on, and the air smells perfectly clean when filtered, no odors at all, but take off the mask and you can clearly smell the musty smell of an old truck. That was an eye opener. I would have never thought that an N95 mask would change the smell of the surroundings, but in my case, it perfectly filtered out the "smelly" air and left behind clean air.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
I went to the pharmacy last week to buy drugs. The pharmacist asked me where I got my face mask (a 3M N95 valved mask). I told him at Lowe's. I didn't tell him it was a box of 10 that I bought over 10 years ago. I don't know what their stock is now.

Posts: 4820 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
My old stock I've been using and reusing for trips to grocery store, doctor's office, autoparts store, hardware store:
  • I'm still using and reusing an old N95 mask. I let it hang 72 hours before using again.
  • 4 horribly cheap paper masks from an old earthquake kit from my Alaska days.

Since I'm going to be back at the office soon and there will be a mask requirement. My main requirements are washable, filter pocket insert, and cannot be made in China. I've ordered 2 different mask styles:
  • South Korean washable with filter pocket insert. Ordered April 23, departed Seoul on May, and arrived in Houston on Saturday.
  • Kryptek's Courtesy Mask. Ordered April 25th, but it has not shipped yet.

As far as filters:
  • I've ordered extra from Kryptek
  • I've been reading and HEPA bags do NOT contain fiberglass. Therefore, I bought some HEPA bags that fit my vacuum cleaner. I intend to cut up and put in filter inserts. Worse comes to worse, I vacuum with a HEPA bag instead of a less expensive allergan bag.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23297 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    That's just the
    Flomax talking
    Picture of GaryBF
    posted Hide Post
    I placed a pre-order for these masks from Saddleback Leather. I am awaiting shipment, so no review.

https://saddlebackleather.com/reusable-face-mask-1

Posts: 11875 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri | Registered: February 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by GaryBF:
    I placed a pre-order for these masks from Saddleback Leather. I am awaiting shipment, so no review.

https://saddlebackleather.com/reusable-face-mask-1

I like the looks of these facemasks, functional and 100% cotton so they are washable. Price is also very good. Actually the prices is nearly a giveaway, so if word gets out they will sell out quickly.

BTW, N95 masks are good BUT they really should be limited to those considered Essential right now. For the rest of us the cotton masks are not intended to be protective, they are intended to "catch" the virus in expelled breaths from carriers of the beer virus. Some of whom (as high as 50% per CDC) may be asymptomatic carriers.

For those who cannot get N95 masks then using a cotton mask is a public courtesy and can be mildly protective but always remember one primary means of passing this virus is through contact surfaces such as door handles, card machines at checkout, and grocery cart handles. If you want to protect yourself then keep at least 10 feet away from any other person who is not immediate family and be aware that any public surface could be red hot with beer virus.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5659 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Raised Hands Surround Us
    Three Nails To Protect Us
    Picture of Black92LX
    posted Hide Post
    I bought a 12 pack of bandanas and my wife has a bazillion hair ties.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/dnBqwowZi5w

She ordered some from the Disney Store for the kids but aren’t set to be here until June.

————————————————
    The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
    If we got each other, and that's all we have.
    I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
    You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25431 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I now constantly see ads for face masks whenever I am on the web but all the ads seem very scammy. Are there any legitimate companies making decent fabric masks? (N95 masks from companies like 3M are impossible to buy and will be for the foreseeable future.)

I looked at the Saddleback ad and it says they are on back order and are receiving a shipment once a week with "thousands" of masks. That's not very many considering the huge demand. It could be months before an order arrives.

Posts: 838 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Master of one hand
    pistol shooting
    Picture of Hamden106
    posted Hide Post
    https://tread365.com/face-masks/

SIGnature
    NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    I will get by
    Picture of Rustyblade
    posted Hide Post
    6 weeks or so ago I did some research and found that a #10 furnace/ac filter filters 95 % of virus's. china-19 is 1.5 x 10 to the -7 wide. most virus's are 2.5 or larger. So I doubled up the filter's which are wrapped in a handkerchief for a soft against the skin feel. Before I go out I spray/mist it with fresh lemon juice to upset its ph by making the mask more acidic.
    Wife & I are doing fine.
    I'm highest risk, not wanting to stop living for this....event (however it turns out to have started, or why). My oncologist asked about it when I wore it to a office visit, I gave her the test model ( masking tape instead of sewing) and she, our next appt was video, said it tested very well. Being recorded, she said no more other than 2-thumbs up. YMMV and I would no more trust something on the web than I would trust a server in a restaurant to vouch for the kitchen if my daughter had a food allergy

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by bubbatime:
    No N95 mask in your garage?

The hand made ones are better than nothing, but not even close to an N95.

True story- wearing an N95 mask, trip to the grocery store, driving my old musty truck. I get out of the store, step into my truck, get situated, and take off my mask. I am immediately struck by the odor of an old musty farm truck. Wow. I put my mask back on, and the air smells perfectly clean when filtered, no odors at all, but take off the mask and you can clearly smell the musty smell of an old truck. That was an eye opener. I would have never thought that an N95 mask would change the smell of the surroundings, but in my case, it perfectly filtered out the "smelly" air and left behind clean air.

I use N95s when dealing with decomposing corpses, though sometimes if they are really bad I add some oil of peppermint to the mask, or Vicks.

Posts: 632 | Registered: June 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Legalize the Constitution
    Picture of TMats
    posted Hide Post
    I had a supply of N-95s in the garage before this all started. Funny thing is, they’re referred to as medical/first responder professional-level protection. I always referred to them as “dust masks.” I use them with an electric sander, and on the riding mower when cutting native grass for both dust, and some level of allergy protection.

Posts: 13284 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    It's not you,
    it's me.
    Picture of RAMIUS
    posted Hide Post
    I’ve been wearing this mask. No one has said anything yet lol....just smiles. Btw, I have a shit ton of N95 masks. I just choose not to wear them.

Here I am at Home Depot.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oriental Redneck
    Picture of 12131
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by fpuhan:
    I ordered this one. I'm still waiting for delivery.

Somebody must have coughed on the maker. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26427 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Damn RAMIUS - Only a crazy person would say something to you....Look at those guns you are toting around...Guess you have a home gym and weight room....I would not dare say a word either....Nice mask by the way....Mark

Posts: 3245 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oriental Redneck
    Picture of 12131
    posted Hide Post
    ^^^ Wow, I didn't know Mil Mascaras is a member here.

Q

Posts: 26427 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Short. Fat. Bald.
    Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
    posted Hide Post
    The octogenarians at the clubhouse where I live have been making these daily. It has a hepa filter and fits nice!

Posts: 1989 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
    Picture of Balzé Halzé
    posted Hide Post
    Hahaha, that's great, RAMIUS.

Reminds me of an incident I heard about (I think on Steven Crowder) of a guy, "a mountain of a man," standing in Krogers as he's self checking out with a giant stogie lit and hanging out of his mouth. It was an obvious giant FU to this whole mess. He just didn't give a shit. And 90% of the people in the store were wearing masks. Bravo to that man.

And no one dared say a word to him.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
    NRA Life Member (Patron)
    God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30413 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of holdem
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by RAMIUS:

You win best post of the day. I truly appreciate the laughter. Funniest darn thing I have seen all day.

Posts: 2311 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post