SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Suggestions for eating fish for one who “doesn’t like seafood”
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Suggestions for eating fish for one who “doesn’t like seafood” Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

FWIW, I don't do "seafood"--I do "fish". If it didn't have fins I don't like it.
There ya go! If it doesn't have fins and scales, it's not kosher (catfish does not qualify -- fins, but no scales).

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
While doing the weekly shopping today I picked up a pair of frozen swordfish steaks, vac sealed, and a package of “sole dover wild caught product of usa”. The sole was not frozen but the date was several days out, it was pretty cheap… about $5 for two small filets.

When I got home I was hungry for a little lunch so I preheated my cast iron and threw sink salt on the sole. A little butter and olive oil in the pan, with some minced garlic, and cooked the fish up. Only took a few minutes.

No fishy smell at all, either pre or post cooking. No fishy taste, frankly not much taste at all. I think this could be a regular addition and I’m sure the kids would eat them. I’m a fan.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
So… swai? I ate through the package I previously mentioned and it was well received by the household… then I did some reading on it and not sure I want to buy it again given the info that is mostly farm-raised in Vietnam. That seems sketchy to me. Thoughts?

Have a piece of haddock for tonight… it was frozen and individually sealed, but as soon as I cut into the plastic a very strong fishy smell was present. Is that typical of haddock or did I end up with a not great example?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: thumperfbc,

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I religiously avoid "farm raised" seafood period.
Read up on what they're fed and the chemicals used as well. Yuck!

Your haddock sounds like it was spoiled somewhere along the line.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Swai is Asian catfish I believe?

I think it gets served here as “catfish”.

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caught in a loop
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Salmon on the grill.

I used to take salmon and wrap it in aluminum foil with some salsa and grill it. Depending on the salsa it might be a little bit moist, but it's tasty.

"In order to understand recursion, you must first learn the principle of recursion."

Posts: 3349 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: August 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Tonight we will try mahi mahi for the first time.

Seasoning suggestions?

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Ease in to it.

Try Cap'n D's.

Fish flavored bread.

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by thumperfbc:

Seasoning suggestions?

Pan fried in butter with a touch of salt & pepper. Serve with fresh lemon squeezed over the fish and enjoy!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16196 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:

Seasoning suggestions?

Pan fried in butter with a touch of salt & pepper. Serve with fresh lemon squeezed over the fish and enjoy!

Did something close to that… pan fried in a mix of bacon fat and butter, seasoned with salt and South African Smoke blend from Trader Joe.

It was not my thing… it had the “fishy” taste and the firmer texture wasn’t a big hit. I did overcook it, which much be the texture issue, but the fishy taste was a big detractor. It’ll be a while before we try the mahi mahi again, I think.

You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
Costco has Black Cod and Chilean Seabass that are both home runs. Extremely fatty. Super good. Blew my mind.

Their wild caught Salmon is good too.

I've had black cod from other places, so you don't have to get the Costco one. The others were the same.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6963 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slippery Pete:
Costco has Black Cod and Chilean Seabass that are both home runs. Extremely fatty. Super good. Blew my mind.

I caught a large black cod up in Sitka a few years back. I think that walleye is the best tasting fish out there, but that cod blew it out of the water. It was like eating grilled butter. Dang it was good.

Posts: 20088 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You have cow?
I lift cow!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
I caught a large black cod up in Sitka a few years back. I think that walleye is the best tasting fish out there, but that cod blew it out of the water. It was like eating grilled butter. Dang it was good.

Yeah same story for me. I was 40 years old when I discovered it. Thought I'd seen everything. Where the hell were my parents??? Big Grin

The Chilean Sea Bass at Costco was very similar. Not sure which is better. But you're right, I can't explain how fatty it is, in a good way far as I'm concerned.

Makes me think of how the Eskimos survive on fish/whale oil type scenarios. I never understood it literally until that. Game changer.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/

Posts: 6963 | Location: Bay Area | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
I’ll try the sablefish/black cod tomorrow. Just moved a filet from freezer to fridge.

Tonight we had Dover sole fillets, which I did a couple weeks ago and they were fine. However, tonight I tried panko crusted them, which I’ve never used before. Big hit with everybody. Cooked them in tallow.

Will def do that again.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: thumperfbc,

posted Hide Post
I'm not a huge fan of fish, but I love halibut. Salmon even tastes fishy to me, but halibut (and orange roughy) is the least fishiest tasting fish I've ever eaten.

Posts: 432 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Swai is Asian catfish I believe?

I think it gets served here as “catfish”.

Here in Louisiana we have a law about Catfish. If it's not domestic Catfish they can't call it Catfish. One Restaurant that used to advertise Best Catfish in the South now just has C-fish on the menu. A seafood wholesaler told me about years ago when they started buying Vietnamese fish from him.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Just cooked up a sablefish fillet. Wow! You guys weren’t joking. “Buttery” is a good way to describe it.

Used the and seasoning I’ve been doing for most of the fish I’m trying… salt, pepper, and Trader Joe’s South Africa Smoke. Then pan-fried in tallow and served with roasted taters.

It was fantastic.

Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tonight we had Dover sole fillets, which I did a couple weeks ago and they were fine. However, tonight I tried panko crusted them, which I’ve never used before. Big hit with everybody. Cooked them in tallow.

Most of the fish I eat these days is panko coated rockfish with a pepper-garlic spice mix. Tallow is supposedly the best grease for deep frying, so it’s probably pretty good for pan frying.

Posts: 9957 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I’d like to start eating a little fish but I’ve always been one of those that “doesn’t like seafood”. In reality, I haven’t tried that much. It stems from eating fresh caught trout as a kid… the bones weirded me out.

I DO like canned tuna. And I DO like “fish sticks” (Trader Joes Fish Nuggets are amazing).

Today is my shopping day and I’m down to try something new. What is a nice, mild starting place, and how should I cook it?
Fried Catfish fillets with homemade tarter sauce.Louisiana seasoned fish fry mix.Tarter sauce mayo,dill relish,minced onion,chill for at least an hour more chill is better.Really nice taste.Enjoy.

Posts: 94 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: July 26, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post