SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    SIGforum is now "secure"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIGforum is now "secure" Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
All those members who've had their browser tell them that this site is NOT SECURE will be happy to know that we've moved from http to https. Probably, this means little to most of you. It meant very little to me as well, since we aren't handling credit card information or SS numbers for our members, but I had the certificate installed because I began to have browser trouble getting into the board's control panel.

What do you need to do? Well, nothing, really. If you have a shortcut you use to get to the forum, you might want to consider deleting it and creating a new shortcut, but, really, you don't need to do even that.

One side effect of going to https is that search engines should give us a higher ranking in search results. Non-SSL sites are given a lower ranking. That probably will take a few days.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107222 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Thanks

Never bothered me, but Mozilla seemed to think I needed to be warned everyday about it.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23084 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I notice Firefox is still giving a "not secure" message for "parts of the page, such as images". Good grief. I don't know who's manning the helm at Mozilla these days, but they need to get over themselves. Really, all they are managing to do is to worry people who have nothing to actually worry about.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I've seen hosted ad images cause issues with redirects and faulty URL's (i.e. they're scams) which is why the browsers started looking for trust in the connection. Not a problem here unless someone uses a dubious photo host.

Posts: 3061 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Roger, this is 108.189.xx.yy confirming
switched to https://
all transmissions now properly secured
dinner will be at 1930 hours
Chaplin will have services in the mess at 2000 hours
there will be a charity football game this weekend
between the 4077 and the 325th..
hotlips is not a true blonde....
that is all...

Posts: 23207 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
I read that in my head with the "loudspeaker voice"...... Big Grin Big Grin

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11042 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
Still ad free 100% of the time! Smile

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4823 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sgalczyn,

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4556 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
I've seen hosted ad images cause issues with redirects and faulty URL's (i.e. they're scams) which is why the browsers started looking for trust in the connection. Not a problem here unless someone uses a dubious photo host.
Remember when browsers were just browsers, and not worrisome nannies? A firewall and antivirus software which is updated frequently is the ticket.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Roger, this is 108.189.xx.yy confirming
switched to https://
all transmissions now properly secured
dinner will be at 1930 hours
Chaplin will have services in the mess at 2000 hours
there will be a charity football game this weekend
between the 4077 and the 325th..
hotlips is not a true blonde....
that is all...

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30519 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Para. I really appreciate your site, and everything you do to keep it going for us. A sincere "thank you"!

Posts: 1699 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks for the update

as members we probably take this kind of thing for granted more than we should

appreciate all the work you do keeping the site running reliably !

----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I had a brief time earlier today when I could not connect to SF. I presume that may have been when you wore working on it. The outage did not last long.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I notice Firefox is still giving a "not secure" message for "parts of the page, such as images". Good grief. I don't know who's manning the helm at Mozilla these days, but they need to get over themselves. Really, all they are managing to do is to worry people who have nothing to actually worry about.

If any images or avatars are hosted on a non-secure server, you may see a "mixed content" security issue. Sometimes this is ignored, sometimes images will not show up, sometimes you'll see a warning, sometimes you will not see a warning.

All depends on the browser and settings.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, I checked Chrome, and this very same page will not display tatortodd's avatar. The page is giving no warnings, though. Firefox is displaying the image but with a warning in the address bar, and that is certainly preferable to Chrome's behavior.

Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks Para. The only thing I had a problem with was loading my avatar. I ended up loading it on another forum member's website.

Edited: Looks like I wait a bit.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5023 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yes, I checked Chrome, and this very same page will not display tatortodd's avatar.

Chrome will block HTTP content from loading on secure sites - It will no longer allow secure pages to load http:// subresources. Dated 2019-10-04.

There appears to be no way around this.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 25987 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Yes, I checked Chrome, and this very same page will not display tatortodd's avatar.

Chrome will block HTTP content from loading on secure sites - It will no longer allow secure pages to load http:// subresources. Dated 2019-10-04.

There appears to be no way around this.

I see that problem with my Avatar. Not 100 percent sure, but I think I had Sigmonkey host it. Any suggestions on an alternate location to host without a lot of BS to deal with?

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3757 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you for All the work you do.

Posts: 710 | Location: SW. Florida, USA | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Para, thanks. Even though I also believe it was mainly unnecessary for 99.99% of what goes on here.
Working for the .gov in IT some, I have found that the consensus is usually something IT related is not secure unless it is very nearly useless for its intended purpose. Almost a “fix it til it’s broken” attitude.

Posts: 6288 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post