SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Is It With Cheap Ketchup?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is It With Cheap Ketchup? Login/Join 
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayniac:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Ketchup is ketchup, unless you are in Germany

We always stock this at home:

Oh Wow!! Where do you get it? Making me miss Curry Wurst you could find everywhere

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wayniac:
quote:
Ketchup is ketchup, unless you are in Germany

We always stock this at home:

Oh Wow!! Where do you get it? Making me miss Curry Wurst you could find everywhere

Amazon!

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Oh boy, they have Senf too. On order

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
I'm also a fan of German ketchup (and mustard), but we normally have some American ketchup in the house. My wife and son like it. I don't normally use it, and I doubt I could tell the difference between Heinz, Hunts, Del Monte, or any of the other common brands.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bobandmikako:
I'm also a fan of German ketchup (and mustard), but we normally have some American ketchup in the house. My wife and son like it. I don't normally use it, and I doubt I could tell the difference between Heinz, Hunts, Del Monte, or any of the other common brands.

I eat very little ketchup, maybe a cup of it a year and I can definitely taste a difference between brands and it's a pretty large difference.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My tastes have changed on ketchup, and I take Heinz and add Tobasco sauce and Horseradish to it. Sort of a hot and spicy cocktail sauce/ketchup. It works for me.

Posts: 6622 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Brooks is a bit spicier than Heinz.

Posts: 5621 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Whataburger ketchup only in our house.

Regular or spicy?

I really like their spicy ketchup.

Posts: 13117 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
Whataburger ketchup only in our house.

Regular or spicy?

I really like their spicy ketchup.

Whataburger regular ketchup here, and I also have Whataburger Mustard in the fridge. Good stuff.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
We don't use very much ketchup but I do like to make some from beets we grow.

This fall I'm going to smoke a bunch of beets and see how that works with the ketchup recipe. I'm thinking it will give it a good twang...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A local amusement park Kennywood was bought out by a Mexican company a while back. They tried to change the Heinz ketchup and french fry cheese. The uproar made it to the news channels and they changed it back. Pittsburgh and Heinz ketchup fo hand in hand.

I also noticed many restaurants are switching to generic sugar packed. I normally don’t care about generic brands but its noticeable with sweet n low.

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
We don't use very much ketchup but I do like to make some from beets we grow.

This fall I'm going to smoke a bunch of beets and see how that works with the ketchup recipe. I'm thinking it will give it a good twang...

Do you have a recipe that you can share?

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
My tastes have changed on ketchup, and I take Heinz and add Tobasco sauce and Horseradish to it. Sort of a hot and spicy cocktail sauce/ketchup. It works for me.

I mix Heinz ketchup with Heinz chili sauce and add horseradish and finely chopped celery for an excellent cocktail sauce for shrimp and crab cocktails. Yum

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ironically, ketchup was invented for one purpose: to cover the flavor of rotting food. And now we're ketchup snobs. It was originally made from mushrooms, not tomatoes.

The middle east, especially Saudi Arabia and UAE and the region, is obsessed with ketchup. Everything ketchup. Ketchup ramen noodles. Ketchup potato chips. Ketchup everything. None of it tastes like ketchup. It sells, but it's disgusting, if one is looking for actual (american) ketchup.

Heinz is available, but even that doesn't taste the same. But then why would it? One isn't stateside. Still, if one goes looking for familiar ketchup, one would be (and is) disappointed.

Given a choice, I'll take fry sauce or just mayo, instead. Or course, there are a lot of forms of mayo, too...

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Ironically, ketchup was invented for one purpose: to cover the flavor of rotting food.

When you get right down to it, all sauces were.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Ironically, ketchup was invented for one purpose: to cover the flavor of rotting food.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Red Gold ketchup suits me.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I had no idea one could get German curry ketchup.

OMG what memories that brings back. It was the Zehlendorfer Rathauskeller, 1966. Kurrywurst mit Kartoffelsalat und ein Pils. Now maybe I need to find some Berliner Weisse and raspberry syrup.

I ordered the Hela two-pack to get spicy and sweet. Thanks Wayniac!!!

BTW my wife will never buy Heinz Ketchup, for reasons mentioned above.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I heard only commies like Hunts.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sns3guppy:
It was originally made from mushrooms, not tomatoes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29u_FejNuks

Here is another great video by Jas Townsend on how to make it.

Posts: 1755 | Location: El Paso, Texas | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post