SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What Is It With Cheap Ketchup?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is It With Cheap Ketchup? Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
I don't eat out much, but I have noticed that many places now have non-name brand ketchup on the tables. I remember reading that the small packets were in short supply some time ago.

Where is the Heinz?

Posts: 5620 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Anticipation.

Posts: 238 | Registered: March 11, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyAgShooter:
Anticipation.

That’s bad

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11285 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
I hear ya - I much prefer Heinz-brand ketchup to any others. That’s all I’ll buy for the homestead.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
If you buy ketchup by the pallet load, it saves money. Restaurants often have pretty thin margins.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Back in the 70's I noticed waitresses at some eateries refilling Heinz bottles with some red goo out of pitchers. I asked one do you buy that stuff in 55 gallon drums? Yup, noticed it back then.

Posts: 5303 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Ketchup is ketchup, unless you are in Germany

Posts: 5323 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
You mean that red stuff I only eat on meatloaf? Doubt I'd notice the difference.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
Ketchup is ketchup, unless you are in Germany

Value judgement aside, there is a huge difference in flavor between Heinz and Hunt (which seems to be the next most common after Heinz).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
What Is It With Cheap Ketchup?
Where is the Heinz?
Heinz is cheap ketchup with an expensive price tag. It's chock full of cheap ingredients such as high fructose corn syrup.
quote:
TOMATO CONCENTRATE FROM RED RIPE TOMATOES, DISTILLED VINEGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, CORN SYRUP, SALT, SPICE, ONION POWDER, NATURAL FLAVORING.

French's (famous for their mustard) Ketchup tastes better, costs less, and has better ingredients:
quote:
Tomato Concentrate (Made from Red Ripe Tomatoes), Sugar, Distilled Vinegar, Salt, Onion Powder, Spices and Natural Flavor.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Heinz makes a version without HFCS. That's what I buy.

Posts: 20106 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Try banana ketchup. Razz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Salt, Onion Powder, Spices and Natural Flavor
What is this supposed to be?

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any ketchup is better than Hunts. It tastes awful

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
^^^^ Heinz makes a version without HFCS. That's what I buy.
True, but Heinz was already overpriced and around here they charge even more for Simply Heinz.

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Salt, Onion Powder, Spices and Natural Flavor
What is this supposed to be?
Who knows, but it's in Heinz too. Also, French's has the decency to not put their ingredients in all caps Big Grin

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I’ve known some that refill Heinz bottles with bulk ketchup that may or may not be Heinz

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Any ketchup is better than Hunts. It tastes awful
Oh, I think Sysco could give them a run for the money. My wife is from western PA, if I were to bring home anything but Heinz, I shiver to think what would result.

Posts: 6476 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't use a lot of ketchup but, when I do, I like Sir Kensington's

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Whataburger ketchup only in our house.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post