SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I’ve visited 44 States - How about you?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I’ve visited 44 States - How about you? Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted
My wife and I have visited every State in the US except for those 6 New England States. We’re planning a road trip to finish this bucket list item.

I’ve lived in 8 States. Cruised to Alaska and Hawaii. Drove through the others. We lived in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico for 2 winters and Destin Florida for 4 winters. We took different routes to and from each. I don’t know anyone who has visited all 50.

How about you?
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything west of the Mississippi , except AK.
Lived in 6

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54646 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Missing North Dakota and Hawaii. I got a whole bunch of them the summer of 1979 when I did a two month cross country hitch hiking trip. I think I've lived in 7.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3300 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven't been to Maine, Wisconsin, Minnesota, North Dakota, Alaska, and Hawaii.
Have lived in MS, TN, AL, and VA.

Posts: 122 | Location: Hernando, MS | Registered: September 16, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
I’ve lived in 8 states, been to every one except Washington, Oregon, Maine, Arkansas and Mississippi. All spread out so I can’t get them all in one trip.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
I have been through, may not have stopped for the night though every state aside from Oregon, Washington, Alaska, North Dakota and Minnesota. A lot of the states we passed through on our way to our destination.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have lived in OH,CA,TN,AZ,MI and very briefly in NC,NY, and MO. I've been to all but AK,HI,OR,ID,MT,ND and MN-(unless Minneapolis/St. Paul Airport counts).

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I’m at 46 and should be at 48 this year.

Right now, for the contiguous U.S., I need Mississippi and N. Dakota. I have plans to get to both of them this year.

But, I won’t get jabbed and refuse to wear a mask. So, I don’t know if I’ll ever get to Alaska and Hawaii.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
My "rule" is that airports don't count. I actually have to step on the ground of the state/ country to count it.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3300 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
38, I believe, but several of those (WI, IN, ID, MT) are places I've really only driven through on my way somewhere else or maybe stopped for gas/food.

There are a few states in there that I've only visited because of attending conferences, so my time there was limited to hotels (GA, TX, CA, WA)

Haven't been to, in any form: AL, MI, AR, MO, IA, OK, KS, NE, ND, OR, AK or HI.

Lived in 4 states.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've been everywhere, man.
I've been everywhere.

Made it to all 50 (Montana was #50) by the time I turned 49 in 1999. OK, I had some help: Spent 1.5 years in Alaska (Army) right after high school, much later I got a job with lots of travel.

Posts: 15908 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
49: each except Louisiana. Lived in 11.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
California
Hawaii
Nevada
Washington
Arizona
New Mexico
Texas
Oklahoma
Kansas
Missouri
Arkansas
Tennessee
Mississippi
Alabama
Georgia
Florida
South Carolina
North Carolina
Virginia
Maryland
Pennsylvania
New York
Connecticut
New Hampshire
Massachusetts
Maine
Wisconsin
Utah
Colorado

Been to a lot more than i realized until making this list and, one state less than the number of countries I’ve been to.

This summer should also knock Idaho and Wyoming off the list.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
My "rule" is that airports don't count. I actually have to step on the ground of the state/ country to count it.

I was basing my list on, spent at least one night in." Driving through wasn’t counted for me.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I have two friends that have visited all 50 states and most if not all the provinces of Canada. (and many many countries now). They sort of had a competition. Their rules at the time (trying to get all 50, almost thirty years ago now) was that you had to eat a sit down meal in the state for it to count, not just drive through. I know this because I was camping in Maine with one and he decided me needed to drive to New Brunswick to eat dinner, otherwise it wouldn't count. lol

I've 27? No idea on meals or just driving through, I suppose I could figure it out, but why? lol

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
40 for me; lived in four.

Hope to do a lot of road tripping in retirement and get the remaining 10.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38681 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:

I don’t if there’s rules, but I feel the same. You got to have boots on the ground or it doesn’t count.

I spent half a day at Narita airport in Tokyo, but never left the terminal. So, I don’t say I’ve been to Japan.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I used to have a printed out map in which I crossed out a state I had visited, which I counted a visit as actually going somewhere and doing something in the state. Having previously worked in the private sector, I made it to a whole lot of states. I no longer have a clue where my map is as I packed it when I thought I was moving and haven’t unpacked everything. Obviously I could look at a map of the US and do an actual count right now, but just not feeling that motivated. Easier to count on a physical map with x’ s through them.

Honestly most of the states I haven’t been to are ones I really don’t care to, however; I have also been to several I would never live in but did enjoy the visit. If I had to take an off the head guess, I would say I have visited 40+ states.

Now that I am in the public sector, my travel is limited to Texas only. I need to make a map of all the counties I have been to in Texas as there are 254 counties and I have been to a majority of them.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All but Maine, Alaska and Hawaii. Some due to work, some due to a motorcycle habit. Retired now and plan to eventually get them all. Frankly having a hard time getting excited about Hawaii. Too many stories of how the locals hate on outsiders.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
All but Hawaii..

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6319 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post