SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How Many True Friends Do You Have?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Many True Friends Do You Have? Login/Join 
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Not counting my wife I have 3.

Posts: 2960 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
At Jacob's Well
Picture of jaaron11
posted Hide Post
Besides my wife, I have two guys that meet your definition of a true friend. These are guys that are really more like family. I would give my life to protect them and their families, and I'm confident they would do the same for me.

J

Rak Chazak Amats

Posts: 5283 | Location: SW Missouri | Registered: May 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Does my dog count?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
3: Wife, son, daughter. To a lesser extent my siblings

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bionic218:
If we're talking about posting bail or helping you move, I've got two or three I could count on.

But if we're talking about showing up at their door in the middle of the night with a knife in hand, covered in blood, and hearing them say: "Wait here, I'll get my shovel" then there's only one.

I sent your quote above to my one true friend earlier and he agreed unequivocally.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
Three, and two of them are relatives.

Posts: 1813 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
I have three counting my wife and best friends.

My wife does not understand how I can have so few friends and be happy with that. I prefer quality over quantity and point out that with fewer friends there is less drama to put up with.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Four, but one moved ten hours away a few years ago.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My dog died, so none.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 2424 | Location: Northeast Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I would say 2.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I've had two.

Both died last April, within three weeks of each other.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
None...I need to get a dog.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
...do justly, love
mercy, walk humbly...
posted Hide Post
My wife of 33 years is a given, of course. So, not counting her, I say 3, all of whom were my roommates during my time in undergraduate ('83 - '87). The 4 of us have remained extremely close, still live within a couple hours drive of one another, get together quite often, and would do anything for each other when needed, no doubt in my mind.

My wife and I have this conversation every now and then...I do consider myself extremely fortunate to have such good friends.

Posts: 741 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: September 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Three.

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Effectively none. I do have one but he's mid-80's, in horrible condition physically and visibly slipping mentally. Breaks my heart and I do everything I can for him just as I know he'd do for me if he could.

Not even all that many "acquaintances". Maybe 3 or 4 and I wouldn't ask anything difficult of them.

Fortunately, I'm comfortable with my own company.

Edit after re-reading the thread - I have three children, two girls and a boy. I think my youngest daughter qualifies. I would (and via my Living Will, have...) trust her with life and death decisions. Not sure she'd help me bury evidence, but then I'd never ask her to.

Other daughter means well but has a history of poor decisions.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15234 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
After reading the comments... I feel blessed to say I have six that I could count on in any situation...after my wife’s passing and my medical issues over the last 18 months each and every one of them have been there when I needed them. I consider each one a true friend who would lay down their life for me as I would for them if the situation came to it Smile...

John 15:13...
“Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.“

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10588 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
I remember as a kid my dad telling me that you should be able to count your best and closest friends on one hand and have plenty of room left over. Some of the best advice he gave because I see acquaintances that have a large group of friends it is nothing but drama.

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Many acquaintances I used to call friends but time and distance have altered that and now most are just people I know, wish Happy Birthday to and sometimes have a brief conversation with. A fair amount of those that where closer have passed which is sad.

So my wife, and grown kids along with my SIL are about all I can really depend on at this point, and I'm good with that.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
Used to count them on less than one hand. Added a few during this "pandemic" shutdown. Maybe up to a full five fingers.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Much like bionic218’s quote...

One, that if I showed up with a shovel, a bag of lime, and a suspiciously lumpy contractor’s bag in my truck ,
Would ask “who’s driving?”

Posts: 6307 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post