SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How Many True Friends Do You Have?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How Many True Friends Do You Have? Login/Join 
No Compromise
posted
The Bible talks at length regarding the disposition of a true friend. It concludes in Proverbs 18:24, “There exist companions disposed to break one another to pieces, but there exists a friend sticking closer than a brother.” Many scriptures outline the dangers of false friends, while extolling the benefits of true friendship.

When I think of a true friend, I consider someone who would give everything they have to deliver you out of trial. Someone who is your friend when you are at your best, and at your worst. Someone who is consistently there for you, even if you fail them over and over.

True friends are rare. Perhaps rarer than you at first might appreciate. Think for a minute who of your friends you would go into battle with, or that you would trust as your diving partner, or someone who could ultimately have your very life in their hands. How many of your friends would you trust your life or the lives of your loved ones, with?

How many true friends do you have?

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can only think of two.

Rich -
P226R 9MM
P239 .40 / .357
S&W 340 PD
S&W 1911DK
SA Saint Edge Ar
Buckmark Camper

Posts: 62 | Location: Denver, Colorado | Registered: March 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SF Jake
posted Hide Post
Two also

Posts: 3119 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Notary Sojac
Picture of festus haggen
posted Hide Post
One

Golden lads and girls all must,
As chimney-sweepers, come to dust.

Posts: 368 | Location: Maryland | Registered: June 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
my wife

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Two, one being my wife.

Posts: 6014 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Other than my wife, just one. We're kin, but even if we weren't we'd still be tight.

I'd call him for anything. I believe he'd feel the same toward me.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
Although I have many friends, in order to quantify “True Friends” I envision answering one question: who would I trust my most valuable “possession”; and in that vein the question would be in a life and death decision were to be made relating to my kids I have FOUR friends with whom I would trust their decision.

Four. My wife being the first of those.

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Three, first being my wife.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
At this particular time period in my life, I'm actually questioning whether or not I have any connection whatsoever with anyone I've considered a "friend" in the past. And that's exactly what I said the other day to the fine man who's been my best friend for almost 16 years now. I'd say a LOT has happened in my life in the past 18 months, and I've thought long and hard about the relationships I have and have had.

Right now, I don't know if I have even 1 "true" friend...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
The wife for sure and one other. People who at times I thought were my true friends have turned out to be nothing even close. all you have to do is enter money into the equation.

Posts: 5599 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
One

Posts: 9966 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
*my wife on most days and my 10 year old Rottie.
*my former LE partner and mentor, 86 years old now in a nursing home 135 miles away.
*a guy I've known since the 6th grade. He's 125 miles away, but we always keep in touch via phone calls.

Most of those I thought were 'friends' turned out to be what I call users. As long as I had something they could use, we were friends.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One plus my wife

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Going to have to go with 3. Not including my wife or brother.

Coincidently (or maybe not) you invoke scripture as your basis. My 3 we all grew up going to church together when we were young.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
There's a quote from the movie Just Like Heaven that comes to mind... "Because someday I'm going to need help moving a body and when that day comes I don't want to hear any shit"

There are 3 people I trust with my life, one of whom is my wife. I'd jump on a grenade for them and I know they would do the same for me w/o question.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I found out who my friends were when I had my stroke. I had a lot of acquaintances, but when the chips are down true friends show their faces.

There are about four people I’d trust my life to right now. When I was policing I relied upon a few too many knowing what I know now.

One friend got me out of the house by taking me to work with him, so that I wouldn’t sit on the couch and go downhill.

Another (even though he was a fire fighter) friend helped immensely with helping me during my recovery.

And Mrs. Mike has definitely not only been a wife, but a friend too. Unwavering is a good word to describe her. I can’t tell her enough.

I have a few other very close acquaintances, less than five that I could count on for help in a pickle.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I am very fortunate as I have four different guys I would trust anything to. Two were fellow cops I worked with. I could add my Cousin as #5. He and I are more like Brothers.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
We buried him in 2008.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12640 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Not counting my wife, I have four.

Posts: 4501 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post