SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What car did you learn to drive a manual in?
Page 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What car did you learn to drive a manual in? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
1995ish Mazda Protogee in black around 2000 when I was about 17.

Still remember my dad noting it was impressive how I managed to lay a patch of rubber with that car. Always had at least one manual in the fleet since getting my first car at 21, and my daily is a 2014 Honda Fit 5-spd with only 32K on it.

Posts: 799 | Location: NH | Registered: July 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
'48 3-speed Chevvie...on a baseball field.
Nothing around to hit.

Posts: 58 | Location: north-central Florida | Registered: February 12, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Started out on an 8N Ford tractor around the place and followed up on a 1964 Chevrolet Bel Air straight six, three on a tree. Once I had mastered it, I was eventually turned loose on the surrounding dirt roads that are still unpaved today where I did my best to channel my inner low- speed Joie Chitwood.

Posts: 157 | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1964 Triumph Herald, the old mans commuter car.

Sig 556
Sig M400
P226 Tacops
P229 Legion
P320 X compact

Posts: 467 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
67 VW Beetle

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2547 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Opal Manta station wagon

Posts: 3829 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M1A1 1/4 ton. AKA, a military Jeep.

Posts: 17267 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1943 Willys Jeep in the US Army 1986. God Bless !!!

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3095 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The wicked flee when
no man pursueth
Picture of KevH
posted Hide Post
1982 Toyota Truck

Proverbs 28:1

Posts: 4254 | Location: Contra Costa County, CA | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cwelch
posted Hide Post
1959 Austin Healy 100-6.

Posts: 271 | Location: Conyers, Ga. | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
1951 Jeep. I was about 11-12.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6417 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Jeep Cherokee Chief 1976 era

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7191 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
I learned to drive a stick in my Dad's 1959 Chevy. My first car was a new 1970 Duster with a 3-on the floor Had to trade it in, in 1973< for an auto, as my current wife knew nothing about sticks.....

Last stick was a 1996 Dodge RAM p/u that I had for 6 years....

Posts: 3406 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
Honda Prelude. Not sure what year. Would have likely been early 80s.

Posts: 6084 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1946 4-door Desoto with a Tip-Toe semi automatic transmission. Yes, had a safety clutch and a column shifter. Kinda oddball to say the least. After that was a 1957 Chevy with 3 on the tree.

Posts: 1229 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
First manual transmission I drove was back in the late 1940's.

Strangest one was my 1972 Citroën DS-21. Four speed transmission, shifter on the column, same lever also served as the starter, no clutch pedal.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1970 Dodge Dart. 225 Slant Six and three on the tree.

Posts: 640 | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
My Pawpaw's 1980 Chevy Luv. First I owned was an '82 F150 with 3 on the tree.

Posts: 1772 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A mid-60's Chevrolet pickup with a 3-speed column shift was my first trial. Our family was visiting family in rural Nebraska. I think I had my learner's permit at the time. My uncle asked if I wanted to go with him over to my cousin's place. What I didn't know was that he was planning to come back with two trucks.

As we were on our way to my cousin's, I was asking about gear selection and shifting while moving. He reached up and downshifted and upshifted several times while we were going down the road. He told me that a person gets used to it after a few times.

When I found out what was going to happen, my uncle told me not to worry as the pickup truck was very durable. I made it back but did have to learn timing for the clutch.

My second car after I got my license was a 1973 Mercury Capri - six cylinder with a 4-speed on the floor.

Have had two Mustang GT's (1982 and 1988). Have driven other cars with manual. I rented a Vauxhall Insignia (looks like a Buick Riviera) during a trip to the UK in 2014. Right hand drive and left-hand shift - with a diesel engine. Don't ever try popping the clutch if you stall the engine - it is like a variation of an emergency brake if you do. Don't ask me how I know. . . .

Posts: 2814 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lechiffre
posted Hide Post
For me it went like this:

Step 1. Buy a 1986 Mustang (in 1987)

Step 2. Learn how to drive it.

I had to get a friend to drive it home from the lot.

Posts: 655 | Registered: May 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post