SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Would you help the police in an active shooter incident?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you help the police in an active shooter incident? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted
This is a somewhat updated version of a poll I posted in 2009 and I’m curious what views are today.

You get word that there are three active killer incidents involving multiple shooters ongoing at schools in your town and you suddenly hear gunfire at another middle school that is virtually next door to where you are at the time. (You do not know anyone at the school.) For whatever reason, you have the most effective defensive weapon that you own with you along with a good supply of ammo loaded in mags. In addition to gun and ammunition, the only thing you have that you don’t normally have in your vehicle is a range bag.

As students and staff are fleeing the building and screaming, “They’re killing everyone!,” and, “There are two of them,” you see a single patrol car pull up. You say to the lone officer who’s pulling an AR out of the vehicle, “I’m armed; is there anything I can do?” She (or he—does it matter?) looks you up and down and asks, “Maybe. It’s crazy and I’m the only one responding here. What do you have and can you use it?”

You give her whatever answer you think is most pertinent or effective (“I’m an active duty SEAL,” “I’m a cop,” “I was in Afghanistan,” “I was in the military,” “I shoot three gun every month,” …) and she says, “Grab all the ammo you can and stay with me.”

Question:
Do you follow her in?

(In addition to yes or no, I’ve given all those who hate the idea of considering such a decision an out: “You’re living in Fantasy Land. It’s a ridiculous question that has no possible real world relevance outside your fevered imagination.”)

Choices:
Yes
No
Another ridiculous question

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
No, would hate for them to think I was the shooter and shoot me.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It sounds like a great way to get shot and killed as more LEO’s show up.

Posts: 3918 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Of course I want to say yes, but, as the previous posters stated, sounds like a great way to get myself whacked by the police.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't count it out. I'm not married and have no children. I want to do the right thing and help how I can. But every situation is different. So I would check "Maybe" if I could.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If I can ask and be confirmed, and it goes out ov3 the radio, yeah, I'll give all I got.

I've been living a bonus round far longer than I can should have.

My hope would be that I were effective help.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'd be more likely to respond if an active shooter was in the school and there was NO police response yet.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17277 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I am a leaf
on the wind...
posted Hide Post
If I stayed immediately(within a couple feet) with the officer yes, if there was any chance of getting separated, no. Good way to get shot by responding officers.

Posts: 2120 | Location: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: August 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My company had a shooting a few years ago. Not a mass shooting but a targeted shooting by an employee of his supervisor in a conference room. He killed himself afterwards.

But as a result we had to have "active shooter training" which for the most part is a rather silly.

Run away - unless you have to run into the path of the bullets
Hide - if you can't run away, hide under a desk or in an office and barricade the door
Defend - if the shooter enters your barricaded place throw something at them, or hit them with something heavy.

Yes, this is what they told us. But the useful part was a police officer telling us what to do. Basically the officer said this:

"First responders will enter with whatever weapons we have, most likely rifles, and for everyone we see we have to quickly determine "threat or not a threat". We will not wait outside or set up a perimeter - we will enter and engage as soon as we arrive."

"Do not try to talk to us, do not tell us what happened, or who the shooter is, there will be too much noise and confusion for us to understand you. Do not try to show us photos or video on your phone. Keep your hands up, visible, and empty. You don't want a cell phone to be mistaken for a gun."

"Walk by us, giving room, making it clear you are not a threat, and leave the premises, and if you can drive away, go somewhere else. Do not congregate outside the building."

Makes a lot of sense. So NO, do not try to help, get the hell out of dodge and protect yourself and family/friends.

The local school now has a rule that officers on site during an active shooter event will engage the shooter with whatever weapons they have on their person. They are not to go out to the car and get a rifle or shotgun because by the time they return it will likely be over.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'll disregard the provided scenario and just say yes, I would do whetever could to assist. I'm no longer a young man and the best is behind me and quite frankly, I'm fed up with things as they stand, and reckless enough to throw caution to the wind.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
That's a good plan (Lefty Sig).
But I think in the Florida Parkland shooting, the concern for children is higher than the concern for how the cavalry is going to eventually show up.
Then, there are more remote areas.
As in the past, there are instances where civilians have helped and it's a good thing they did.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
In a second, as long as I got the cops safety vest(orange or neon green) and I stuck with her/him in searching for the shooter. I’d also make them advise my description over the radio before entering….and I’d never let go of her/his gun belt.

If I were separated or after the guy is put down I’d holster my handgun.

I’ve completed the training. I’ve done it with simunitions, I know the terminology, and I know even just engaging the bad guy will keep him from shooting children.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11278 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Schools around here go into lockdown for active shooters, so nobody should be running out of the buildings. Even a fire alarm doesn’t automatically result in people exiting the building until teachers receive confirmation that there is an actual fire.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougE
posted Hide Post
Throw me in that situation, and I'll answer after it's over with. I'd love to say I absolutely would jump right in, but I think I'd have to be put in that situation to give a realistic answer.

The water in Washington won't clear up until we get the pigs out of the creek~Senator John Kennedy

Posts: 987 | Location: Richmond, KY | Registered: February 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
No, would hate for them to think I was the shooter and shoot me.

My second thought tight after, "without a hesitation."

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Sure, I'm in. In addition to, what I hope is her communicating with her team, I'd call 911 if possible, as I always have my airpods. I'd give them as much info as I can while we make entry. With any luck, I dont get shot by the good guys in the process.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
In the limited scope of what was posted, yes.

But, unless you are living in a very remote area, there will be 50 cops (most of which from places you never new existed) will show up quickly.

I’ve been to two of these in my career. Four years ago this Sunday, I was on the first tactical team on the ground at Marshall County. We had 8 operators on the ground in 18 minutes. We cleared the school for 4.5 hours before relieved by the state police. Based on my experience, unless in a very remote area, the answer is a hard no.

That doesn’t mean I won’t offer to help, I just won’t be a hunter unless there are no hunters available or a refusal to go in. From having done a couple of these, there are a lot of well meaning people that rapidly become part of the problem. During an active shooter, there isn’t a time or a place for dick measuring for hard headed people to insist to “do something” because their ego has kicked in.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...High_School_shooting

Change the scenario around to me being off duty in my jurisdiction, it changes to absolutely. I’ll take my chances getting shot by the one or two feds that might show up that I don’t know. Everybody knows me here, I know the local response SOPs and won’t be part of the problem.

In the unlikely case that I’m standing right there when it breaks out, without a doubt I’ll take the shot and take my chances. Direct action is the answer. Merely having a gun and charging in doesn’t mean your actions won’t wind up costing innocent lives.

“Gotta do something” isn’t always the right answer.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I do active shooter training every year at my company in partnership with our local police force and would never do such a thing.

You WILL end up getting shot and killed by the police trying to play hero.

No way no how I’m going in armed into an active shooter situation like that. Eek

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I'd like to think I'd jump in and do whatever I could to help. Although, like so many other scenarios I've thought about, I'll never know until I'm there and I hope I'm never there.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm in a different situation?

I have my rifle plate carrier in the trunk and it's marked Police on front and back.
I'd call the local PD and advise them I'm going in and my description.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post