SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Would you help the police in an active shooter incident?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would you help the police in an active shooter incident? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You assume a lot.

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will offer to help, after I ID as retired LE, provided:
I immediately get the cops vest that is used to direct traffic. Most are marked "Police" and kept handy in the patrol car.
Second, the cop immediately radios dispatch I am going in with her.
And quite possibly, after I ID and offer to help, the cop wont allow it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
After seeing how the good guy, who stopped the shooter of an officer in Arvada Colorado was killed by other responders, I'd stay away.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
No, because I'm absolutely untrained and have no business attempting to (help) clear a building of active shooters--particularly in an innocents-rich environment.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Untrained in what? I swear to God, some of you either think very little of your ability to think on your feet, or you think "training" makes the police God-like.

I have 35 years life experience on a 25 year old officer, but without "training" I'm just going to get people killed. Fucking ridiculous. Snap out of it.

Again, tell me how the training of the coward who stood by and listened to people being killed at Parkland helped anyone, in any way. If someone kicks your door, are you going to roll over and show your belly, because you're not "trained"? Life has no instruction manual. There's no class to attend for it.

Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
As a country, we're nearing the point where good people will have to decide if they are willing to work past their fears and respond as the times dictate we must. Everyone gets scared. The measure of character is the ability to work through fears and respond when called on.

It has always been this way. Good Men, Brave Men put aside their fears and do what needs to be done because it is the just and right thing to do, Period. Always Have, Always Will...

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Para, jljones has been my instructor in multiple classes, and I doubt he would put as much work into teaching civilians competency in firearms if he did not expect we would use that competency to help strangers if the SHTF. Whether carbine or handgun, if I were going in I'd be far more effective due to what Jerry has taught me.

Posts: 18068 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
If I'm in a position to have to make the decision whether or not to assist the police, then there is- for whatever reason- a manpower shortage, and I will not stand by while people get murdered. I couldn't stand that.

Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Given the conditions of the scenario then yes I’d volunteer to help and I would be kind glue to the officer

Other than that probably not.

Posts: 53180 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have no problem providing whatever support is requested, or needed.

Those who call it "playing hero" are the same assholes who diminish and dismiss everything they don't like. Bless them all.

I've spent most of my life responding to emergencies. I've never "played hero." I've been at plenty of scenes, at which bystanders gave shelter, food, comfort, immediate first aid, provided tools, heavy equipment, manpower, you name it. I've seldom been to an emergency scene at which people didn't stop to help. It's what people do.

Shooter in a school, police officer asks for help? Unconditionally, yes. Of course. It may be help with a firearm. It may be help evacuating kids. It may be help reporting, observing, watching, searching, or giving aid to wounded. It doesn't matter what's required. As would most people, I'd assist where needed. I have seen bystanders stabilize a victim inside a burning car. They weren't playing hero. They were doing what their conscience and their character drove them to do, and God bless them for it.

Those who would diminish that, dismiss it, or put it down and disparage it, go buy yourselves a hamburger.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You can make your point without telling members in this thread to get fucked.

posted Hide Post
Of course. They can go buy themselves a hamburger.

Don't choke on it.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
But, unless you are living in a very remote area, there will be 50 cops (most of which from places you never new existed) will show up quickly.
And having been at the range with a number of local LEO's and personally witnessed their competence with firearms as well as their personal demeanor, I'm not sure I'd opt to hitch my wagon to one patrol officer (given the provided scenario). Now if I were to roll up on a patrol officer in the wild being shot at by a couple POS, would I pull the AR from behind the seat of my truck, establish cover, and lend aid? Absolutely.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
I answered "yes" because I think the intent of the question is whether or not I'd be willing to help. In real life, the big question would be danger to self from other cops. Since it's your scenario, and you indicated I'd be staying with the only cop, I voted "yes".

Same here. Directly assisting an officer? Yes. I would help. Charge in alone without a plan or away to communicate with arriving law enforcement? No.

*Edit - I voted without reading the thread, only the OP, in the good faith that I understood the question being asked. I answered to the best of my capability "yes." I read the thread only until honestlou's post and agreed with it well enough to quote it and only expound a little further in a reply. It seemed to me that this was a thread best responded to without reading the whole thing first, which I tend to not do. Reading the rest of it, there's been some interesting discussion.

I think maybe you can try to do the right thing, or even do it all right and still make it worse and people will die. I think maybe ego can be a factor for some, yes. I know I couldn't live with myself if I was in the fevered imagination scenario, and chose not to act and kids got killed - the wondering if I could have stopped any degree of it would eat me alive. So, I try to do like some people I respect and look up to suggest: suit up and show up, whatever it is, however you can. If you feel differently or think that's wrong, I guess that's ok, too. It's a hypothetical, after all.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: P220 Smudge,

Posts: 17126 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I’m recently retired LEO, so I’d absolutely offer my assistance. Either alone or with a responding officer, I’d have them put my VERY detailed description over the air as one of the good guys and then go hunting.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15579 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
If I thought I could help I would do whatever I could.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d help the law anyway I could if the cops said ok.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:

Shooter in a school, police officer asks for help?

That’s not what the OP posted in his scenario, go read it again

I still stand by my assertion that a civilian in civilian clothes going into an active shooter situation isn’t a good idea.

I’ve been through about 10 of these trainings with local police and was even selected as the shooter several times and given a blue M-16 or blue P225. These police are hyper focused on one thing and one thing only: stopping the shooter. If you’re in there shooting at a bad guy and they go in fast and hard, there’s a very good chance they’ll see YOU as the threat to be stopped.

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Yes, without a doubt.

Posts: 1558 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I voted NO. I'd WANT to help, but it would be SO EASY to get shot and killed by responding police units. I'd only get involved if something like that "went down" and I and others were in immediate danger...

Posts: 3537 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post