SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I want a Jeep. >>Jeep bought!<<
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I want a Jeep. >>Jeep bought!<< Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
Been looking today.

Looking at used, drove a 2016 that had 24,000 miles. 4 door, Sport manual with A/C and pretty much stock but with nice tires/wheels. Aftermarket or upgraded. It’s what I want. Looks brand new, much better than the other used ones we looked at. Certified preowned with an extended warranty on the power train, 7yrs from original purchase/100,000 miles. Same blue as Jeff’s, above. Soft top. Drove it about 20 miles mixed roadways. Did 80 on the interstate surprisingly smoothly.

I had them down to $27,000 on the raw Jeep price when I left them today. That’s with my trade value not quite topped out, in my opinion. Plus tags, title, doc fees that they wouldn’t budge on yet. $1,500 for that. Nuts.

Went to a Mazda dealership to see what they’d give on my car. Slightly higher. Looking at their groups inventory to get a quote to use against #1. Also checking carmax and Carvana.

Going to check with my wife’s credit union. Their used rate is half my credit unions!!!

Any suggestions on the price war?

What is your tax rate there? If you trade in do you only pay taxes on the difference?? That is the way it works here. I saved a little over $1200 on taxes by trading in. If I would have sold on my own I likely could have sold it for $2500 more than what they gave me on trade but with having 3 kiddos and working weekends I just don’t have the time to deal with tire kicking yahoos. So I probably lost $1300 or so but much easier than trying to sell on my own.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25427 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
quote:
Any suggestions on the price war?

I've been told CostCo has a buying service that produces some good deals. Next time around for me I'll be checking it myself.

I submitted a request to CostCo, but it doesn't let you see prices.

I can see the pricing for the same Jeep through the USAA car-buying service. Exactly the same price as what they started at today.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
How does that compare to new, price wise?

What about a private party purchase?

On a rig like that i am betting there is easily $5k added. Probably even more.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
How does that compare to new, price wise?

What about a private party purchase?

On a rig like that i am betting there is easily $5k added. Probably even more.

The used/new conundrum is where I am now.

Tomorrow I am going to get my vehicle appraised by Carmax. Then I am going to see where a similar Jeep but 2018 new would be. At the moment it is within $2,000 in my web searches, and there are probably incentives available for new.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Post up the details on your Mazda here. I am betting you can get the guys to tell you pretty much what it is worth. Sure you probably have a good idea already.

Keep the cost of the jeep separate from the value of your car. That way you know exactly what the jeep will cost.

If you want a specific model, trim, color, etc. Shop on line with quality outfits. If you are some flexible and you have a good local dealer see what they are willing to do is my advice.

Since you serve your community I would hope the local dealer would recognize it and deal accordingly.

posted Hide Post
I read the original post; I'm not going to read 8 pages worth of replies. I'm a 53 year old guy. I bought my current Wrangler new in Aug. '05. Coming up on 235k miles and it's still my daily driver.

It's a Wrangler X (half doors, soft top) with a few accessories but nothing too crazy (31 X 10.50 tires).

No matter how appealing the new ones may be (or any other vehicle for that matter), I'll never get rid of it.

Good luck with your decision. If you get one, do the wave when you see a fellow Jeepster).

Posts: 131 | Registered: January 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
When I was semi seriously looking, someone recommended theses guys. https://www.normandinchryslerj...ow_all_filters=false

I’m a lot closer so it made sense for me. Their prices seemed pretty good though but I haven’t purchased from them. The practical side kept me from buying a Jeep for now.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Post up the details on your Mazda here. I am betting you can get the guys to tell you pretty much what it is worth. Sure you probably have a good idea already.

Keep the cost of the jeep separate from the value of your car. That way you know exactly what the jeep will cost.

If you want a specific model, trim, color, etc. Shop on line with quality outfits. If you are some flexible and you have a good local dealer see what they are willing to do is my advice.

Since you serve your community I would hope the local dealer would recognize it and deal accordingly.

NADA has my car with it's options, mileage, and condition as a $17,050 trade-in value. $16,075 for the mid value, $14,875 for low value. My car is immaculate with no issues, only 14 months old and looks brand-new. The dealership has offered me 15,400 so far.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with Carmax to see what they will offer. My experience and others that have I spoke with in the area have shown Carmax to offer on the high side.

I'll go back armed with the NADA print-out and/or the Carmax quote. $1,650 is too much difference.
It's more than the difference between a new and certified-pre-owned Jeep right now.

That said, if the new Jeep they have that I am considering had the tires and wheels the used one has, I'd take it with a little haggling. The used one has Rubicon tires/wheels, which would cost me around $1,500 to install aftermarket (buying new tires and getting rims off Craigslist or other Jeep classifieds). I cannot stand the puny wheels/tires on the Sport model Jeeps.

The flip side with the used one, it looks fantastic, no dings or repairs, serviced at the dealership and turned in as a trade after only 21,800 miles. It comes with what amounts to the same warranty as a new one.

So...if it comes down to it, New with puny wheels and tires, or Certified-Pre-Owned with nice wheels and tires? I don't think I could look at it with puny tires and wheels and no cringe every day.

What are the odds the dealer would swap the wheels/tires out?

Used Jeep

New Jeep

-JALLEN

My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Snip.

Chongo, one more thing to consider with bigger rims....don't forget to factor in the expense of larger tires to fit the rims. If you buy rims, you'll need to buy tires.

I bought my Jeep new as when I purchased mine there was very little variance used vs. new. It has stock rims and Goodyear Wrangler tires. I wore out my first set of tires, used the spare and bought 3 new tires, saving a few dollars.

Once this set wears out I'll by the largest tires I can fit on the stock rims. I love the look of bigger rims but I can't justify spending the money.

Do what makes you happy. Good luck

Since you are semi local be sure to check out these guys for take off rims and tires:

https://www.rubitrux.com/jeep-take-off-parts.html

Posts: 12922 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Search Craigslist for takeoffs as well. Here's a set for $800, but in Tampa. Rubicon wheels and tires

Be aware that most takeoffs don't include the TPMS sensor.

Posts: 10958 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Search Craigslist for takeoffs as well. Here's a set for $800, but in Tampa. Rubicon wheels and tires

Be aware that most takeoffs don't include the TPMS sensor.

I was going to suggest this, I sold my Rubicon wheels and tires for $900.00 with 3000 mile, my brother sold his for $750.00 with a few more miles. That was 5 tires and wheels.

There is Chrysler Affiliate Program available through Tread Lightly, join for $100 and the dealer will sell you a new Jeep for 1% under invoice. You might be able to negotiate a bit more, I couldn't.

https://www.treadlightly.org/o...ates-reward-program/

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3399 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
Go New, Black is better than blue... And then you get the joy of shopping for the wheel package you love. There are millions of choices for jeeps.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
So you can get a new or newish Jeep for $10k after trading in or sell your Mazda?
If you really want a Jeep. Like the ride. Can handle the increase in insurance and gas. I could see that.
I do like the way the Blue one is set up. But I would want it to be less money. Like a couple grand less than they are asking.

I would ask if they sold it new or how did they get it? And from who. Kids, middle aged guy. A family, a college aged girl, etc.

In the back of my mind I always wonder why some one turns in an almost new vehicle?

What is the msrp on the black one?

posted Hide Post
For basically the same $ (just a skosh more), I'd get that new 2018 and a craigslist Rubicon tire/rim set. Wink

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Wranglerforum.com is your friend....

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f...to-save-2026289.html

Me? I think my final price was somewhere around 10% under MSRP. I special ordered my 2017 JKURR from a dealer in Mt Juliet, TN (my name was printed on the window sticker which is pretty cool). Got a great no hassle price....couldn’t beat it within a 4 hour drive of my location. I don’t know where you are in NC but I’d recommend my dealership if that’s a consideration for you.

https://www.rockiewilliamsprem...odgechryslerjeep.com

Matthew Robinson was my sales rep.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Well,

Carmax lowballed me. Bad. I spoke with the appraiser and he (very politely and candidly) said that he goes to auctions every Tuesday, has been for years, and he valued my car at what he could get it for there.

After I left the dealership with the two Jeeps above on Saturday, I stopped by my local Mazda dealership where I have my car serviced. Sales manager there said he'd give me $100 more than the other place, without me saying anything about being there already.

He also made it very clear that the end of the month is coming, and he's got some quotas to make...said the value for the trade could go up in negotiations. Also said he can pull from all the dealerships under the company. Not pushy though.

I found a used one with half the miles of the blue one at the other dealer, and more options, for a thousand less. And no puny steel wheels (but not sweet ones either). Sent him an email earlier, going to see how his dance is.

That dealership is where I almost bought my Mazda. I kicked myself in the ass later when I realized I would have had free oil changes and state inspections for life and some other perks. Driving 25,000 miles a year, those oil changes add up!

-JALLEN

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Just for reference today I saw two 2008 jeeps. One a four door the other a 2d. Both had >90k miles. Nice shape. The two door was $16.5k
The 4d was like $18.9k iirc

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Negotiate the terms of the new vehicle, then negotiate your trade in.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just for reference today I saw two 2008 jeeps.

short $ report: in 2010 via private sale I bought pristine 36 month old JK Sahara 08 w/15k miles; at 90k miles 60 months later traded to dealer on new '15 JKWW; depreciation (purchase cost minus selling price) over 5 years to the 08 JK was $58/month. Seemed reasonable.

Had minimal maintenance/upkeep/no major expenses for that service period.

Hope my next 'new Jeep processing cycle' works at least as well.

ETA: the dealer listed my 08 on their lot for more than I paid 5 years prior.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
Made a deal this morning. 2018 JK unlimited, Rhino Grey, upgraded 17” wheels (not the Rubicons) and the Mopar floor/cargo mats. Got out the door for about $1,000 more than I had them at for the used 2016 Jeep with 24k miles on Saturday. I’m pretty happy with that. I ran all the numbers last night and they really can’t be making much off me. I did get them to increase the trade in by $500, which was $1,000 more than carmax, and $400 more than the other dealership. I was at around 6% below invoice on the price of the Jeep at the end. And the mats were free, and the $800 increase for the wheels wasn’t on the invoice...price was the same as stock base. Pretty darn good.

Headed to the beach this weekend Big Grin so it’ll be getting broken in proper.

First thing to be added next week will be steps/rocker panels. Other than that, perhaps an aftermarket backup camera, and a side view mirror for when the doors come off, I’m not in a rush for much else. Rims eventually probably.

Pretty damn stoked though. Too bad I don’t get off til eleven!

-JALLEN