SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The clear fact of the matter is that I'm not ready.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The clear fact of the matter is that I'm not ready. Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shoevb:
Glad you are back in to shooting! I would be happy to send you a couple of new magazines for your AR, just send me an email with your address and I'll get them out to you.
I received your generous gift in the mail today. Thank you, sincerely.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I got Peltor Sport Tac 500 ear protection for both of us. I picked up our key cards for the gun club. I think we’re ready to go shooting.

I’m supposed to show my wife how to break down and clean her gun this weekend. She ordered some cheap holsters to try out to see where she would like to carry. Her Glock 43 is pretty sweet. Tiny. I think i want one, too. My 33 feels chunky in comparison.

Posts: 45381 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Back in 2007, I took a chance and quit a long time stable job to take a job where I could work from home much of the time. It worked out well enough and I made more money ... until I didn't. Turns out the boss disappeared with about half a years wages and left me with a stack of bills. Before I quit, I had saved up about half a years expenses so I handled it until that dried up and it did dry up.

I had been a member of SIGforum for 8 years or so then so I had some firearms but I was forced to sell many of them to make the mortgage payments.

I just tell you all that because after selling guns and reloading stuff, it caused me to lose interest. If you could look back from 2010 until recently, all my posts were in the Lounge. I stayed here because of the quality of the membership and ownership, this place is very unique and I appreciate it here.

I can't say that it had anything to do with depression, I don't think that's it. However, I became very apathetic towards firearms. I stopped buying and I even stopped carrying.

Recently, talking to P220 Smudge, I mentioned that I wish I could have an AR-15 again as it's really the only rifle I've ever been interested in. He got me to build a decent but inexpensive Palmetto State Armory gun out of all BLEMs. I think it totaled around $370 which was easy to justify.

Building an AR-15 helped me to understand the inner workings better than I ever had before. They're very simple machines but I never had the chance to open one up before. This restarted my interest in firearms and it is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ed!

Today I read parabellum's thread "How are you fixed for ammunition?" and I've realized that I'm way behind. Not only in buying and stockpiling ammunition, but also in firearm knowledge and ability. These are perishable skills. Being safe and knowing what to do are easy to lose. I'm not ready in any way. I really appreciate the admonishment because it's something I really needed at this moment.

On top of that my wife bought her first gun this week and she wants me to teach her to shoot. Heck, I have to relearn myself first.

I need supplies, I need ammo, I need ideas and I need training. I'm going to most likely be asking some very basic questions and asking for leads on pricing on ammo so please bear with me. I feel like I'm new to this all over again.

It's heartening to know that even I have more ammunition than at least ONE American!

Seriously though, welcome back to shooting.

Posts: 11333 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got Peltor Sport Tac 500 ear protection for both of us.

Thanks for the reminder Mark, I've been meaning to do the same for some time now. His and hers on the way. Smile

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
I got Peltor Sport Tac 500 ear protection for both of us. ...
Just today I noticed that Amazon sent me one Sport Tac 500 and one Sport Tac 300. I called Amazon to process a return but felt weird about it because I’d already used them and decided to ask for a partial refund in the amount of the difference in price between the 500 and 300. They agreed to do that instead of the return.

Regardless of that, I want to say that I appreciate the encouragement and the gifts. I have been to the range 7 times in the last month. Some of the range visits were simple function tests but I’m identifying weaknesses and learning to shoot better. Thanks so much.