SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harvard President Claudine Gay Resigns
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harvard President Claudine Gay Resigns Login/Join 
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Her career in academia is next on the block.

She's keeping her president's salary and will remain on the faculty as a professor.

That’s the rub.. a full tenured professor is making North of $250/yr. Then the Presidents position will be on top of that. All for teaching maybe one class a semester…bullshit!

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6346 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fly-Sig:
quote:
Originally posted by Milliron:

This is an issue close to me as my daughter is applying to college this year, has a 4.4 GPA, is an accomplished flautist, and was basically told not to bother with Ivies. My favorite thing is they "recruit to deny" applicants. Which is to say they solicit applications from students they would never accept (generally from the middle class, for the record), in order to keep their selectivity rate low.

About 10 years ago my son was a HS senior. Class valedictorian, standardized tests scores off the charts, black belt in Tai Kwondo, fluent in German and Japanese languages, several music awards (violin), and had been in something like 24 stage shows to include lead roles in professional productions. His application could not have been stronger.

He was rejected by every single Ivy. He was also not offered very good financial aid from any school.

Meanwhile there was a front page story in the Wall St Journal about a minority student of color who got accepted into every single Ivy. He had a very good resume for sure, but honestly not as good as my son's nor as good as thousands of other applicants.

My advice is to aim your daughter towards schools where she fits in and not to worry about getting into anything "elite" just for the sake of bragging rights.

I believe it. I think that I read that article in the WSJ too. It actually seems like there is one story like that every year.

That had to have been awfully frustrating. But I'll bet your kid is solidly middle class (correct me if I am mistaken). He doesn't stand out, whatever his accomplishments, because there are 500 kids just like him. The kid of color does though. There aren't 500 like him. So he gets the nod. Could both kids make it an Ivy? Absolutely. I dislike getting into who "deserves" to go. They both probably do. Unfortunately, the evidence is that kids like your son have to make way for a donor-class kid, nobody cares what their "story" is. What they want to see is a diploma from Choate. Not because the kid from Choate is smarter, but because he's living proof his parents can pony up $68,000/year for high school.

My daughter will be fine. She wants to go to Ohio State and was accepted there. My brother went there and subsequently obtained his Ph.D from Yale. So there is a path.

My bigger bitch is how financial aid at OSU is doled out. If you aren't a PoC or Pell eligible, good luck with that. You get to compete with 4600 other kids for 25 full ride scholarships. Unless of course, you can run a 4 second 40 and catch a football.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8811 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Working on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Financial Aid) right now. We know the answer, but apparently by filling one out, you get a score that schools can look at to decide whether or not the kid can afford the school.

Posts: 11048 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I believe it was Dennis Prager who stated that these Ivy League schools have enough bankroll in their endowment funds that they could afford to charge students NOTHING for the next 100 years…or whatever the length of time was.

He absolutely DESPISES what these institutions of “higher education” (pfffff) have become……

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post

Posts: 33923 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Working on the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Financial Aid) right now. We know the answer, but apparently by filling one out, you get a score that schools can look at to decide whether or not the kid can afford the school.

We found that FAFSA provides a number the family can "afford", but how each school offers to help you make up the difference is what matters. They may offer scholarships, grants, loans, or work study. We ticked no boxes, so they offered loans and work study to my daughters, and small grant of about $10k to my son.

This is another area where the financially responsible parents get screwed. They will look at your personal savings, home equity, college savings plans, and income. They don't include retirement savings. So you're better off maxing out retirement savings and not doing college plans. They, at least back when our kids were in college, did not include grandparents' 529 college savings plans directly, but I recall there was some secondary way it was pulled in as an asset after the first year.

Posts: 9488 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is another area where the financially responsible parents get screwed

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yep. Happened to me. One positive is that I did not have to fill out any silly,confusing forms. I just paid the bill. It does bolster your self esteem. My kids also learned the time value of money and the value of mutual funds. BTW both attended expensive private colleges.

Posts: 17296 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is also the Legacy path for admission. The chances for admission are greater if the parent attended.

Posts: 17296 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

She's keeping her president's salary and will remain on the faculty as a professor.

She was making almost 900k before she became Harvard President. Her Harvard President salary was over 1 million plus (probably with lots of extra money for donations, DEI achievements and similar crap)....of which she only got 6 months of. Now she is back to her previous salary of 900k.

Posts: 3959 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is another area where the financially responsible parents get screwed

It isn’t restricted to colleges. My granddaughters assistance request was turned down at a parochial high school. The reason given was her parents didn’t have enough debt.

The money was reserved to “serve the more needy”

Posts: 779 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: September 30, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
There is also the Legacy path for admission. The chances for admission are greater if the parent attended.
Maybe not...

Virginia senator’s bill would ban legacy college admissions
Mitchell Miller | mmiller1@wtop.com

January 2, 2024, 3:49 PM

U.S. Sen. Tim Kaine of Virginia is hoping to advance bipartisan legislation in Congress this year that would make major changes in the college admissions process.

The Democratic lawmaker and U.S. Sen. Todd Young, R-Ind., are co-sponsors of a bill that would prohibit accredited colleges and universities from giving preferential treatment in admissions to children of alumni or those with ties to donors.

The legislation has been introduced in the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision last year that struck down affirmative action policies in college admissions, stating that race can’t be a factor in whether to admit students.

“If the goal is put people on an even footing and have these decisions based on merit, then let’s close off the legacy and donor preferences that for decades have advantaged the ‘advantaged’ and let’s make merit the criteria,” Kaine said.

The MERIT Act would amend the Higher Education Act to add a new standard for accreditation, aimed at preventing “preferential treatment” in the admissions process.

The legislation would also require a detailed study to improve data collection regarding the influence of legacy and donor relationships in admissions decisions.

While dozens of universities have ended legacy practices, hundreds of others have continued to use them in the admissions process.

Kaine said the bill seeks to make the selections process fairer and ensure that first-generation or lower-income college applicants are not left at a disadvantage.

Research has shown that Ivy League colleges are twice as likely to admit students from high-income families than those from middle-class families with similar test scores.

Posts: 9059 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:

This line gets me as it's not the first time it's been explained. It's the racism w/in the anit-racists and their low expectations.
quote:
Imagine having such low expectations for minorities that you believe they're not capable of learning on their own,' it continued.

It reminds me of the Ami Horowitz: How white liberals really view black voters.
https://youtu.be/yW2LpFkVfYk?si=Lp7kr8svTK-mJw14

In their mind, no black woman can ascend to the top position at Harvard unless she's propped up by others. In this case w/ Claudine Gay, the liberals proved themselves right. But I wonder how much of Claudine Gays grooming vaulted her above other minorities.

Posts: 7390 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Democratic lawmaker and U.S. Sen. Todd Young, R-Ind., are co-sponsors of a bill that would prohibit accredited colleges and universities from giving preferential treatment in admissions to children of alumni or those with ties to donors.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is bullshit. BTW I attended a top ten University with no Legacy myself. Legacy admissions know what the University is about and generally adjust well. The guy is a Republican and he needs to keep his nose out of private colleges. Stick to public Universities if you want. Considering the problems with the border and inflation this bill is unnecessary and stupid. Now DEI stuff is coming from Republicans???

posted Hide Post
From the WSJ:

Remember the political uproar after a ticket-buying surge from Taylor Swift fans caused Ticketmaster’s website to crash? By contrast, consider the muted reaction to the Education Department’s rocky rollout this weekend of the revised Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

Even by government standards, the new FAFSA launch has been a fiasco. According to the Education Department, the application had been available for all of three hours between Dec. 30 and Jan. 1. If you happened to log on at the right time, congratulations. Otherwise, try again later.

“During the soft launch, the FAFSA form will be available for short periods of time while we monitor site performance and form functionality,” the department explains. “We will initiate pauses for site maintenance and to make technical updates as needed to provide you with a better experience.” No word on when the “soft launch” will end.

As we explained last month, Congress’s 2020 omnibus spending bill directed the Education Department to “simplify” the FAFSA form with the goal of expanding access to Pell grants. The FAFSA is used by the feds, states and colleges to determine eligibility for financial aid. But when does the government make anything free or simple?

Congress gave the department a deadline of Dec. 31, 2023, to redo the form and online platform. Three years should have been plenty of time. Yet Richard Cordray, the Federal Student Aid chief operating officer, has prioritized implementing various loan forgiveness schemes. The FAFSA has been a side project, and it shows.

“Even by soft-launch standards, this weekend’s rollout was challenging, and students, families, and financial aid administrators who have been waiting for this release for months are understandably frustrated,” said a top official at the National Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators.

Even the liberal press has felt compelled to report on the mess. “I Spent New Year’s Eve Trying to Do the FAFSA. It Didn’t Go Well,” read a business column headline in the New York Times. How long do you think it would have taken Amazon or any other private tech company to pull this off?

Democrats in Congress called for breaking up Ticketmaster after its crashing infuriated Taylor Swift fans. Yet they seem less perturbed by the FAFSA snafus that have exasperated parents. Here’s an idea: How about breaking up the Education Department’s federal student loan monopoly?

LINK: https://www.wsj.com/articles/f..._opin_pos_3#cxrecs_s

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:
quote:

That’s the rub.. a full tenured professor is making North of $250/yr. Then the Presidents position will be on top of that. All for teaching maybe one class a semester…bullshit!

I misunderstood that part of the whole situation. I thought she was keeping her salary for leaving, like severance/hush money. While that's slightly objectionable I figured it avoided lawsuits and testimony and made sense for a business decision.

I am completely appalled that she's still an employee of the university. She needs to be out of there immediately. How is ANY Jewish student supposed to feel comfortable being in her class? I would rather drop out of school then be educated by someone who thinks calls for genocide of any people is OK up until the point they start doing the genociding or other forms of violence.

They need to fire her now for her testimony in front of Congress; he interpretation of bullying and harassment; and for her unwillingness to address a policy that could be construed as allowing calls for genocide against any group.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20875 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
I wonder who wrote the resignation letter for her or did she find it on the internet? Big Grin

Big Grin

Posts: 5610 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
quote:
Originally posted by fiasconva:
I wonder who wrote the resignation letter for her or did she find it on the internet? Big Grin

Big Grin

The Babylon Bee stated it was a tear jerker- entitled “Gettysburg Address”

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37121 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Oh look! The racism prostitute is at it again, this time with an op-ed on the New York Slime. Roll Eyes

https://www.foxnews.com/media/...king-racial-campaign

Disgraced former Harvard president pens New York Times op-ed attacking racial 'campaign' against her

Published January 3, 2024 6:55pm EST

After resigning as Harvard president on Tuesday, Claudine Gay took to the New York Times to call out the "campaign" and "coordinated efforts" to attack her.

The guest essay, titled "What Just Happened at Harvard Is Bigger Than Me," explained that the attempts to oust her since her congressional testimony were not efforts against her but against the institution of education itself.

"As I depart, I must offer a few words of warning. The campaign against me was about more than one university and one leader. This was merely a single skirmish in a broader war to unravel public faith in pillars of American society. Campaigns of this kind often start with attacks on education and expertise, because these are the tools that best equip communities to see through propaganda. But such campaigns don’t end there," Gay wrote Wednesday.

She continued, "Trusted institutions of all types — from public health agencies to news organizations — will continue to fall victim to coordinated attempts to undermine their legitimacy and ruin their leaders’ credibility. For the opportunists driving cynicism about our institutions, no single victory or toppled leader exhausts their zeal."

Gay acknowledged the multiple plagiarism accusations against her but emphasized, "I have never misrepresented my research findings, nor have I ever claimed credit for the research of others."

Furthermore, she blasted "the obsessive scrutiny" of her writing, insisting that it was only feeding into "tired racial stereotypes."

"Never did I imagine needing to defend decades-old and broadly respected research, but the past several weeks have laid waste to truth. Those who had relentlessly campaigned to oust me since the fall often trafficked in lies and ad hominem insults, not reasoned argument. They recycled tired racial stereotypes about Black talent and temperament. They pushed a false narrative of indifference and incompetence," Gay wrote.

She continued to repeatedly suggest that criticism against her was racially motivated.

"It is not lost on me that I make an ideal canvas for projecting every anxiety about the generational and demographic changes unfolding on American campuses: a Black woman selected to lead a storied institution. Someone who views diversity as a source of institutional strength and dynamism. Someone who has advocated a modern curriculum that spans from the frontier of quantum science to the long-neglected history of Asian Americans. Someone who believes that a daughter of Haitian immigrants has something to offer to the nation’s oldest university," the guest essay read.

Gay closed by saying that she will "continue to champion access and opportunity" in her position as a professor and reiterated the need to push back against "extreme voices in our cultures."

"Having now seen how quickly the truth can become a casualty amid controversy, I’d urge a broader caution: At tense moments, every one of us must be more skeptical than ever of the loudest and most extreme voices in our culture, however well organized or well connected they might be. Too often they are pursuing self-serving agendas that should be met with more questions and less credulity," Gay wrote.

Gay similarly alleged race as a factor in her resignation letter on Tuesday.

"Amidst all of this, it has been distressing to have doubt cast on my commitments to confronting hate and to upholding scholarly rigor—two bedrock values that are fundamental to who I am—and frightening to be subjected to personal attacks and threats fueled by racial animus," her letter read.

In her letter, however, she did not reference the plagiarism charges against her.

Q

Posts: 26565 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Billionaire donor Bill Ackman wants the whole fucking board to resign

https://nypost.com/2024/01/03/...laims-dei-is-racist/

Bill Ackman demands Harvard’s board resign in 4,000-word screed blasting university for ‘racist’ DEI policies

FTA:
Billionaire Bill Ackman posted a 4,000-word essay arguing that his alma mater’s policies on diversity, equity and inclusion, or DEI, are “the root cause of antisemitism” at Harvard University — even as he called for an overhaul of its governing board.

Hours after celebrating Harvard president Claudine Gay’s resignation, Ackman shared to X at 2:03 a.m. Wednesday that it wasn’t just the nearly 50 allegations of plagiarism against the embattled administrator that concerned him, but concerns that “DEI is racist.”

“The E for ‘equity’ in DEI is about equality of outcome, not equality of opportunity,” wrote Ackman, the 57-year-old founder and CEO of Pershing Square Capital Management...

Posts: 4709 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Got the FAFSA done! Only did it for the SAI score. Apparently, some schools will deny admission to a student that doesn't qualify for enough financial aid to pay for the school and whose SAI isn't high enough to indicate the family can pay for the school.

This DEI stuff is rampant though. The three Florida public universities we are looking at have special dorms with special privileges that segregate certain students from the rest of the students. Choosing to live in those dorms is voluntary, but that they exist for certain groups and not others seems to be the opposite of diversity and inclusion.

The whole good story thing cracks me up. If "It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child..." is what is needed to make yourself stand out, then so be it. Amazing how many of these stories turn out to be fiction. I'm shocked.

I really am glad to see people left and right getting called out on it. Gray cheated, plain and simple. She should be fired, period.

Posts: 11048 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post