SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Harvard President Claudine Gay Resigns
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Harvard President Claudine Gay Resigns Login/Join 
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Academia of the 14th Century, when they taught astrology and alchemy, has more science and knowledge about it than today’s versions. Same holds true for medicine (Fauci et al) when blood-letting and leeches were used to control the “humors” of the body.

We’ve regressed to neo-Medievalism.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2722 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Milliron:

Quite candidly, there are two types of people who get into Harvard: wealthy legacies and poor kids with a good story. The middle class need not apply.

Truth.
Several friends who have kids starting to look at colleges, have pretty much told them, you're the wrong race (white & Asian), our tax statement only show us as responsible citizens and we don't have a hardship story, so start looking at small schools or, go to a JC, knock-out all the required lower-division courses, then transfer to the best univ you can get into.

Posts: 14795 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The first 8 words of her letter were originally said by LBJ.
"It is with a heavy heart but a"

Some are arguing that it is a common phrase and fair game. If I were her, I would run everything I write through the plagiarism checker.

Here is the LBJ:
https://www.presidency.ucsb.ed...-children-capt-riley

Posts: 707 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Some are arguing that it is a common phrase and fair game. If I were her, I would run everything I write through the plagiarism checker.

Agree on both counts.

Q

Posts: 26780 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Leave it to the disgusting and obscenely biased Associated Press Roll Eyes

I mean, really. They don't even acknowledge their own policy.

https://twitter.com/jonkay/status/1742538883772924109

Posts: 108105 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Jesse Waters had Michael Shellenberger on last night talking about how the AP has been 'captured' by leftist organizations paying/bribing them to report stories this way.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24278 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

Quite candidly, there are two types of people who get into Harvard: wealthy legacies and poor kids with a good story. The middle class need not apply.

Truth.
Several friends who have kids starting to look at colleges, have pretty much told them, you're the wrong race (white & Asian), our tax statement only show us as responsible citizens and we don't have a hardship story, so start looking at small schools or, go to a JC, knock-out all the required lower-division courses, then transfer to the best univ you can get into.

Not sure I get the Asian thing. 20% of the Harvard student body is Asian, which only makes up 7% of the U.S. But in my experience a lot of those families tend to devote their entire academic career to getting into those schools, which may explain their increased representation (and also explains to a degree why some get told no).

Research confirms that the middle class largely get left out of Ivies (with the exception of MIT, an "ivy-plus" school, which is much more egalitarian). Research paper if you're feeling bored

This is an issue close to me as my daughter is applying to college this year, has a 4.4 GPA, is an accomplished flautist, and was basically told not to bother with Ivies. My favorite thing is they "recruit to deny" applicants. Which is to say they solicit applications from students they would never accept (generally from the middle class, for the record), in order to keep their selectivity rate low.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8816 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
a very long set of comments by Bill Ackman

well written

https://twitter.com/BillAckman...ate-than-never-5.php

small snip:

I came to learn that the root cause of antisemitism at Harvard was an ideology that had been promulgated on campus, an oppressor/oppressed framework, that provided the intellectual bulwark behind the protests, helping to generate anti-Israel and anti-Jewish hate speech and harassment.

Then I did more research. The more I learned, the more concerned I became, and the more ignorant I realized I had been about DEI, a powerful movement that has not only pervaded Harvard, but the educational system at large. I came to understand that Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion was not what I had naively thought these words meant.

I have always believed that diversity is an important feature of a successful organization, but by diversity I mean diversity in its broadest form: diversity of viewpoints, politics, ethnicity, race, age, religion, experience, socioeconomic background, sexual identity, gender, one’s upbringing, and more.

What I learned, however, was that DEI was not about diversity in its purest form, but rather DEI was a political advocacy movement on behalf of certain groups that are deemed oppressed under DEI’s own methodology.

Under DEI, one’s degree of oppression is determined based upon where one resides on a so-called intersectional pyramid of oppression where whites, Jews, and Asians are deemed oppressors, and a subset of people of color, LGBTQ people, and/or women are deemed to be oppressed. Under this ideology which is the philosophical underpinning of DEI as advanced by Ibram X. Kendi and others, one is either an anti-racist or a racist. There is no such thing as being “not racist.”

Under DEI’s ideology, any policy, program, educational system, economic system, grading system, admission policy, (and even climate change due its disparate impact on geographies and the people that live there), etc. that leads to unequal outcomes among people of different skin colors is deemed racist.

As a result, according to DEI, capitalism is racist, Advanced Placement exams are racist, IQ tests are racist, corporations are racist, or in other words, any merit-based program, system, or organization which has or generates outcomes for different races that are at variance with the proportion these different races represent in the population at large is by definition racist under DEI’s ideology.

Posts: 19661 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I mean, really. They don't even acknowledge their own policy.

https://twitter.com/jonkay/status/1742538883772924109

Oh so now going after plagiarism is a "conservative weapon"?

So they forgot all about how each time that Donald or Melania Trump made a speech, they were all slobbering over themselves to run every goddam word through plagiarism checker tools? Didn't they accuse Melania of doing that in a speech?

The Left is the biggest bunch of hypocrites ever. It's really sickening. Roll Eyes

Posts: 34077 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
a very long set of comments by Bill Ackman

well written

https://twitter.com/BillAckman...ate-than-never-5.php

Excellent piece by Ackman that everyone should read.

Posts: 14795 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

Jesse Waters had Michael Shellenberger on last night talking about how the AP has been 'captured' by leftist organizations paying/bribing them to report stories this way.

Add to that Reuters/Thomson Reuters Corp! Even those reporting on Financial News are corrupted. There is NO corporate news media organization that can be trusted to report ANYTHING honestly at this point!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9066 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

Truth.

Not sure I get the Asian thing. 20% of the Harvard student body is Asian, which only makes up 7% of the U.S. But in my experience a lot of those families tend to devote their entire academic career to getting into those schools, which may explain their increased representation (and also explains to a degree why some get told no).

Research confirms that the middle class largely get left out of Ivies (with the exception of MIT, an "ivy-plus" school, which is much more egalitarian). Research paper if you're feeling bored

This is an issue close to me as my daughter is applying to college this year, has a 4.4 GPA, is an accomplished flautist, and was basically told not to bother with Ivies. My favorite thing is they "recruit to deny" applicants. Which is to say they solicit applications from students they would never accept (generally from the middle class, for the record), in order to keep their selectivity rate low.

I can only imagine the frustration seeing your kid set-out and accomplish all the things that should shine on a college transcript, only to see the door-shut/bridge pulled-away because there's a DEI-influenced guidelines they follow. For Asian-kids, its an ultra-competitive environment where there's still a belief that meritocracy rules. Most of those kids are majoring in STEM programs, which the DEI-admissions gate-keepers have a hard time getting their preferred candidates into those areas given the academic rigor necessary to even keep-up. They're forced to admit those whom they think they'd prefer to discriminate against as pressure from department heads to maintain head-counts.

One of my friend's two sons (both white kids going to private Catholic HS), their strategy as told by their college councilor was to apply as early as possible, betting that college admissions office is looking to fill a number of slots before they tighten their scrutiny of who they admit. They didnt' even consider any of the Ivies but, did apply to Stanford, Cal, UCLA and Pepperdine...the oldest decided on Santa Clara, the other took the easy route and went to San Diego St.

Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Harvard isn't the Harvard of the early 20th century, since the 60's and the riots there, about Vietnam, Nixon and the right it has evolved to what it is today. I'm in Cambridge quite frequently, and I can feel the palpable disdain and revulsion that emits from the Inclusive Left, the stares, the muttering. I dress conservatively if not in a business suit. But it's the white, male, European, Christian, with short hair and no piercings and no outrageous hair colorings, sends them into their overdrive stares. The only two times a year when you don't feel the palpable disdain is end of May students going home and end of August students arriving, too many parents around.

Firing Gay as President is meaningless, she's keeping a 900K a year Professorship, loss of a title, as soon as the dust settles how much you want to bet that her title will shift to President-Emeritus?

Posts: 2794 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
^^^Hey, we gotta take the victories wherever we find them, and more importantly savor them to fuel the ongoing fight in defending America and the US Constitution!

That plagiarism thing ain't going away though. It's gonna haunt her for the rest of her days, following her wherever she goes! We should make damn sure it sticks to her...Forever! Perhaps we should start calling her 'Dr. Gay'... Roll Eyes Just make sure to roll your eves when you say it! Razz

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 9066 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
Harvard isn't the Harvard of the early 20th century, since the 60's and the riots there, about Vietnam, Nixon and the right it has evolved to what it is today. I'm in Cambridge quite frequently, and I can feel the palpable disdain and revulsion that emits from the Inclusive Left, the stares, the muttering. I dress conservatively if not in a business suit. But it's the white, male, European, Christian, with short hair and no piercings and no outrageous hair colorings, sends them into their overdrive stares. The only two times a year when you don't feel the palpable disdain is end of May students going home and end of August students arriving, too many parents around.

I'm NOT in Cambridge quite frequently, only once to visit and then again for my son's graduation from MIT, but I know what you're talking about.

IMO, Harvard (and MIT) no longer deserve the prestige they are given. My son was no longer the same person after going there.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24278 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
My dad was a CEO and Member of YPO the Young Presidents Organization, they had convened meetings for educational purposes for young high level executives, one was at Harvard in the 70's another at Wharton, several at Ivy league campus.

He told me, again, as 85 years old parents tend to do, that he came back from Harvard and told my mother "if I ever agree to send our boys to an Ivy League school, smack me to remind me not to do it," said the schools were just full of the same people we talk about today, only it was their grandparents and parents, the old hippies and anarchists.

Posts: 23739 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Bee: Claudine Gay Claims White Supremacists Went Back In Time And Forced Her To Plagiarize At Gunpoint

Jan 3, 2024

CAMBRIDGE, MA — In a chilling revelation, a tearful Claudine Gay has disclosed that a gang of time-traveling white supremacists went back to the year 1997 and forced her to plagiarize at gunpoint.

Holding back tears, Gay recounted the tale of several racists appearing to her as she was finishing up her Ph.D dissertation in the late '90s, pointing handguns at her, and forcing her to copy excerpts from other sources.

"They pointed guns at me and said, 'Copy this paper, Gay!'" she told reporters. "They were - they were wearing MAGA hats, and they said, 'Harvard is merit-based country! Now copy the paper if you want to live!'" Gay claimed they made her paraphrase ideas from other scholars and academics and copy some sentences and phrases outright, all while she protested that it was ethically wrong and would get her in trouble someday. "Then they asked if I knew where they could buy some first-edition Pokemon cards."

"I really wish that would have clued me in to go pick up a Charizard, but alas."

Gay warns that her resignation could lead to other academics being assaulted by this dangerous gang of time-jumping racists, who will stop at nothing to bring every person of color in a position of power at a university down by going back in time and making them plagiarize.

"I've always said, 'The only thing we have to fear is fear itself,'" she said. "But now, we also have time-traveling white supremacists to fear."

As the country slowly increases in racism and right-wing bigotry, it’s important to ensure you don’t get caught up in their evil MAGA ways.

I've said it before, when you are mocked this hard by The Babylon Bee, you cannot be taken seriously.

Her career in academia is next on the block.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31556 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
Her career in academia is next on the block.

She's keeping her president's salary and will remain on the faculty as a professor.

No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:

About 10 years ago my son was a HS senior. Class valedictorian, standardized tests scores off the charts, black belt in Tai Kwondo, fluent in German and Japanese languages, several music awards (violin), and had been in something like 24 stage shows to include lead roles in professional productions. His application could not have been stronger.

He was rejected by every single Ivy. He was also not offered very good financial aid from any school.

Meanwhile there was a front page story in the Wall St Journal about a minority student of color who got accepted into every single Ivy. He had a very good resume for sure, but honestly not as good as my son's nor as good as thousands of other applicants.

My advice is to aim your daughter towards schools where she fits in and not to worry about getting into anything "elite" just for the sake of bragging rights.

Posts: 9555 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
I'm in Cambridge quite frequently, and I can feel the palpable disdain and revulsion that emits from the Inclusive Left, the stares, the muttering. I dress conservatively if not in a business suit. But it's the white, male, European, Christian, with short hair and no piercings and no outrageous hair colorings, sends them into their overdrive stares.

One of my friends is a union representative and was selected to attend the Harvard Trade Union Program several years ago. He and about 30 others (all in their 40-50's) from around the country, attending daily lectures, presentations and workshops for a month; kind a minor-minor level of courses that more or, less intros you into to socialism.

A number of us friend's came out to visit and play tourist around Boston/Cambridge-area, and every place we went into around campus, either for coffee, dinner or, drinks, you could definitely feel a sense you were out of place. Granted we were older than most students and we dressed like we avoided Urban Outfitters or, Lululemon, however the looks of derision was there. You felt it more from women then guys; in the morning, grabbing a coffee or, at a bar, the exasperated looks of 'why are you here?', 'don't you have someplace else to go' look