SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sorry, Benchmade, I can't forgive you
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sorry, Benchmade, I can't forgive you Login/Join 
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
The thing with Spyderco knives, I look to be sure where they are made.

At one time, Spyderco was nothing more than a marketing company. It was designed by them but farmed out to be made in Japan among other places. Sort of like Browning would do with their products.

Posts: 3200 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Emerson, Winkler and RMJ all made in USA

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5641 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckFinley:
Emerson, Winkler and RMJ all made in USA
The Emerson Thread. Eight and a half years and approaching 100 pages. Lots of broken links in the first pages because it was long ago.

Posts: 107226 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Emerson knives and Winkler hatchets are my go to. I will never buy a benchmade product ever.
I also joined Emerson’s Order of the Black Shamrock. Ernest Emerson and Daniel Winkler stand by their principles and values. They’re proud Americans who love this country and it’s freedoms.

Posts: 2762 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by C L Wilkins:
The thing with Spyderco knives, I look to be sure where they are made.

At one time, Spyderco was nothing more than a marketing company. It was designed by them but farmed out to be made in Japan among other places. Sort of like Browning would do with their products.

They do have a lot of knives made out of the country, but they're really transparent about where everything comes from so it's easy to check. I stick with the Japanese and Golden CO models personally, but even their Byrd line has a reputation for being excellent.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3506 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:

They do have a lot of knives made out of the country, but they're really transparent about where everything comes from so it's easy to check. I stick with the Japanese and Golden CO models personally, but even their Byrd line has a reputation for being excellent.

Sal Glesser and his family have always made sure Spyderco products were of excellent quality.

quote:
Originally posted by C L Wilkins:
At one time, Spyderco was nothing more than a marketing company.

As for earlier being a "marketing" company, that isn't my recollection from back in the mid-late '90s when I first met Sal and bought some of his knives.
Among many other results of a search of his name:
https://www.knivesandtools.com...r-knife-designer.htm

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Come on, Spyderco, bring back the 'Catcherman.'
My favorite longlost EDC(s).

They Opened boxes, cut rope and rubber hoses, opened envelopes and plastic wrapped packages, best foldable, carryable sandwich knife ever, frightening pajamaboys whilst in use, cut bait, trimmed fishing knots, and if I had caught a fish worth filleting before I lost two of them ...o

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Life's been good to me so far

Posts: 15832 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
I will defiantly stay away from them. I am partial to Buck Knives, still have the first 110 folder I bought from the ships store more than 40 years ago.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6931 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Obvious
posted Hide Post
Some of the best made Spydercos are the Made in Taichung Taiwan ones. I dont mean the models are the best. I mean the fit and finish are better.

Posts: 3361 | Registered: July 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
After the Benchmade debacle, I never looked at their products again. Have bought several Spydercos since, and last week bought my first Winkler- a Belt Knife Crusher with black micarta handles.

Posts: 478 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
As far as Spyderco pure quality of manufacture I have found Taiwan knives to be the best followed by Golden, followed by Seki.

I have never had a quality issue with any of those and have no problems buying from them.

Chris.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7623 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Back to the top, because these days, whenever I hear about Benchmade, it's always some stupid bullshit.

I'd say 'eat a bag of dicks' but something tells me Benchmade would find that to be a fun Friday night.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...730027584#2730027584

And I don't need any lawyers telling me yadda yadda. I despise these motherfuckers. If they closed their doors, I'd have a fucking drink, and this is from someone who knows we need American manufacturers. There comes a point where their bullshit is just not worth it.
quote:
(a) If a knife returned for warranty work is found to be an actual or suspected counterfeit or replica item, Benchmade shall have the right to impound the knife for further investigation of its authenticity. Benchmade shall not be liable to you, or anyone else, for payment of the price of any suspected counterfeit knife under investigation. If Benchmade, in its sole discretion, determines that the knife you returned for repairs is a counterfeit, Benchmade has the right to permanently impound and/or destroy the knife. Knives determined to be counterfeit will not be returned to you. Please sign the Counterfeit Goods Acknowledgement form to confirm that you have read, understood, and agree to the terms relating to counterfeit goods.

(b) Benchmade shall have the right to conduct destructive examinations to verify the authenticity of any knife Benchmade receives which it suspects to be counterfeit. Benchmade shall not be liable to you, or anyone else, for the price of any knife destroyed during such examination if it is later found to be a counterfeit.

(c) Benchmade's investigation may include the participation of third parties or governmental investigative agencies as required by law. By sending in your knife for repair, you agree to cooperate in good faith with any investigation conducted by Benchmade, third parties, and/or governmental agencies, including, but not limited to, cooperating with investigations to identify the seller or source of the counterfeit good(s) by providing the name, location, and other identifying information about the seller.

Posts: 107226 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Because of this thread, I bought a Kershaw 1776OLSW EDC knife. It's very well made and made local to me here in the USA. I lost my Gerber to the TSA earlier this year and I needed a replacement.

It's a great knife so far!

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5366 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
They have the right to steal and destroy your property because someone else broke patent or copyright laws? What the fuck?

I can't see anyone wanting to pony up the cash for a lawyer to sue over this, otherwise, I can't see how this would stand up in a court.

Never would I have spent money with them, but this is a little extra spice on the shit sandwich.

Posts: 17043 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fuck Benchmade!

‘Nuf said!

No quarter
.308/.223

Posts: 2081 | Location: Central Florida.  | Registered: March 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Have mentioned it in this thread before... get weekly emails from a number of knife shops and have emailed them about BM (all puns intended). No response from anyone.

It's understood that the shops are trying to make a living. More folks need to get a clue; look at the UK - lots of reports about any and all knives being banned. Don't think for an instant that the commies don't intend to come after knife people as well.

They won't stop until we are defenseless. BM must feel the pain of being woke.

Posts: 4916 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
Sold off my Benchmades. I now EDC Guardian Tactical OTF auto. Also own Spiderco, and Kershaw.

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I used to love Benchmade knives before they showed themselves to be complete asses. I still have a handful and gave a few to my poor college aged son. My G10 griptillian has been relegated to package opener and few others are buried in the safe. They managed to get me off my ass to acquire a few Hinderer knives for daily carry and I couldn’t be happier. I think my XM18 is my forever knife. FU Benchmade you will never be forgiven.

Posts: 2929 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
Impound your knife, sounds serious. Destroying guns wasn't enough, they want to destroy knives too.

I looked at some other knife sites, much older than bm, for their warranty repair info and found no mention of impounding, destroying, counterfeit goods acknowledgement forms, or agreeing to cooperate with any investigation.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post