SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sorry, Benchmade, I can't forgive you
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sorry, Benchmade, I can't forgive you Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
What are yall's thoughts about Tim Leatherman ?

Posts: 4056 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't know anything about his politics, but I'll wager his company hasn't cut up any firearms.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
What are yall's thoughts about Tim Leatherman ?

What about him?
He's an engineer by trade and an inveterate tinkerer which is how his multi-tool came about. He largely stays out of marketing, branding and politics as he was always found hunched over a workbench or, in front of some piece of machinery.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I have 11 Benchmade folders and they are nice knives, I won't be getting rid of them. But I won't buy another.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9366 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Benchmade has been my choice of folders for years up until they showed their true colors last year. I have not and will not give them another penny of my money.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Tim Leatherman supported Kerry/Edwards in 2004 and took alot of heat for it. Haven't heard anything about him since then.

Posts: 3382 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I'll never buy another

Posts: 6393 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good..Bad.. I'm the
guy with the gun.
Picture of SIGMYSTER
posted Hide Post
I agree also. I was a benchmade collector. I stopped when I heard about them. Too many other nice knifes out there.

Don't count me out till you see the box go in the hole!

Posts: 2123 | Location: N.E. OHIO | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Haven't bought one since this shit show. I wish more people in the military community knew about it because they have so much product they sell on base.

My next knife is going to be a Winkler. Pricey but they look awesome.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I've since retired my Benchmade's, they sit in the bug-out bag as back-up, to the back-ups. Kershaw, and a few others now have taken Benchmade's place.

+1

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Disappointingly, three local gun stores still had big Benchmade displays recently.

Maybe, it's the same inventory , unsold.

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I haven't bought any new Benchmades in quite a while. It is largely because of the gun thing, but they have also stopped making knives I am as interested in. There are a few I might consider - the Bugout, for example - but for now I am not buying Benchmade. Many of theirs are sort of extreme in style, and their prices have gotten quite high.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Emerson, who at least nominally is a member of this forum, is 110% solid. He won't bow in the face of what's been going on. He won't cowtow.

Winkler, whom I also know, is also 110% solid.

No one will go wrong supporting either company, either individual, or their wives. All rock solid.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Way to stand firm, jhe.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Had not heard of this. Will delete them from consideration.
Thanks Para.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6317 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
There are a few I might consider - the Bugout, for example

Check out the Hogue Deka.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
The mini Bugout is really the one that calls to me. That said I am a completely satisfied with my LC200n Salt 2’s for a super light weight knife not to mention the corrosion resistance. Prefer to try and spend my money with those who I want to support and who seem to support me. Not always possible in this modern world and I waiver from time to time but I try my best.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
Perhaps this thread could be stickied in the forum, so more folks see it.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2840 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both my son and daughter asked for a knife before heading to college. They picked from my collection. It will be a cold day in hell before I replace those knives with Benchmade.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used to be a dedicated Benchmade user starting back in the early 2000s. After seeing a gradual reduction in quality over the years, and experiencing several bad heat treats on blades I have moved on. I still have one BM fixed blade that I use for beater tasks, but my primary carry knives are Spydercos now.

Posts: 731 | Location: Midwest | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post