SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sorry, Benchmade, I can't forgive you
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sorry, Benchmade, I can't forgive you Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Seriously, how did Benchmade management think this wouldn't bite them in the ass? What do we know about the people running the show? Has there been a change at the top any time recently? It would seem they think they're going with some sort of flow, very disturbing.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8306 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
I feel the same way Para. When this all went down, my daily carry was a Benchmade Gritilian with the sheepfoot blade. I loved that knife.

I couldn't bring myself to carry or even own it anymore. I sold it, and several other Benchmades.

Now my daily carry is a Sypderco ParaMilitary 2 and I couldn't be happier.

Screw you Benchmade!

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Why the sudden post about this? Was there some change over there or marketing to get folks back?

Or did it just pop back into your head and you felt like enough time had passed so determine if you could forgive and forget and subsequently could not? Just curious.

I have several Benchmades I quite like and still use. I have bought many knives since that incident. They have all been Spyderco’s and I am quite pleased with product and I thank Benchmade for pushing me their way.

For me it was less about the guns. Local ordinances or whatever, I might not agree with them but if they had to be destroyed it may have been bad optics but I could move on from that.

What chapped my ass was the donations that came to light after. That sealed the deal for me.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7625 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I only have two Benchmade knives, both automatics, both bought before the gun chopping. When they need service they will NOT be returned to them, they have seen the last of my money. Fuck them!!

Also have a benchmade automatic that is now usually always in my pocket and used hard, so as to wear it out in order to throw it away and get a replacement from somewhere else. Just today used it in the yard to cut through wild grape roots.

When their stupid shit became apparent, wrote each and every knife dealer that sends me their emails, telling them how benchmade is now not at all appreciated. Not one response. That won't be forgotten, either.

Have one more, a brand new benchmade gentleman's folder EDC, also gotten before this mess. Wanted to give it to my FIL, when they visited us from Japan, last year. Wanted to take him shooting, as well but he's no longer up for either, at 87. Very sad.

That one will be given away to another family member, far away from this crap.

There are plenty of other places to buy good knives.

An elephant never forgets.

Fuckers.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I can't get over it either, wtf were they thinking?

I have a brand new Doug Ritter mini grip I was looking forward to carrying. But, after their stupid decision I will never buy another one. I plan on selling this Doug Ritter eventually and never looking back.

I have since found Spyderco and I believe they can do everything the minigrip could do.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

...but if they had to be destroyed it may have been bad optics but I could move on from that.

That's the thing, they didn't HAVE to destroy anything. They could have said "no" right?

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I haven’t gotten rid of my multiple Benchmades; I may yet sell them.
I’m a fan of Doug Ritter’s blades; if I buy another I will buy one of his now made by Hogue, a company with a huge investment in firearms manufacturing.

Posts: 18010 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Yep, screw 'em. Wouldn't take one of their knives if it came free with a $20 bill.

Makes me appreciate my nice Hogue knife even more.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Once a product or company makes my shit list, they stay there.

Congratulations Benchmade.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:

...but if they had to be destroyed it may have been bad optics but I could move on from that.

That's the thing, they didn't HAVE to destroy anything. They could have said "no" right?

Sorry I mean if the guns had to be destroyed because of legal ordinance or something. What I was saying is yes BM could have said no and didn’t but I could have moved on from that bad optics and all. It’s the political donations that soured me the most.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7625 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I have an older Presidio Jr. that was a constant carry item until this crap started.

Now rotating are three different made-in-USA Kershaw models, which collectively cost less than whatever Benchmade model I eventually WOULD'VE bought to replace the Presidio.

Benchmade could develop a painful and incurable UTI, and it still wouldn't be sufficient punishment.

Even without their political bent, their quality simply shouldn't command their prices any more. When your choices at that "level" were limited, they were OK, but there are far too many top-end knife makers out there today with reasonable price tags.

Posts: 2449 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sorry I mean if the guns had to be destroyed because of legal ordinance or something.

If I recall correctly, Benchmade and the local PD tried to say they had to be destroyed by law. Internet folks looked into this and found that to be false. Only thing that said they had to be destroyed was PD policy.

Posts: 4507 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Tom Gresham interviewed the CEO of Benchmade right after this happened. Tom destroyed him. Yes, we're talking about mild mannered Tom Gresham. Destroyed the CEO over some knife laws they were trying to get passed which would have hurt knife owners but somehow the CEO didn't understand why. The CEO's a pretty dim bulb.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
The CEO's a pretty dim bulb.

Yes, he is. He put out a video after the backlash. Let's just say he didn't come off well and hurt them even more.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I had a Spiderco Endura from 1999 when I became a cop till I lost it in 2005- before I bought another spyderco the CG issued me a Benchmade automatic knife when I was in the CG reserves. I carried it everyday- even when I was back at work as a cop.

When Benchmade made their decision I retired my EDC knife and replaced it with a Spyderco Endura. That Benchmade knife is in a safe with my first set of handcuffs, my badge and gun. I won’t carry that knife anymore.

Are you listening Benchmade?
I went out of my way to spend my money elsewhere due to you decisions.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11238 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I chose to pass on them when they came looking for my business. I went with Bear and Dons, Cold Stell and CRKT. Best decision I could have made. I saw all of this when this occurred 18 months ago.
Fuck you, Benchmade!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8317 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I won't buy another. I unfortunately have a few. I'll use them like yard tools, then chuck'em. That brand can perish as far as I'm concerned.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Vgex,

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Please tell me my beloved Buck knife company aren't a bunch of commies.

I've never owned a Benchmade as all I have ever known was the Buck type lock blades until I bought some Hubertus autos.

However I carry a Swiss Army knife. It will cut just as bad as my Buck will and looks like something Boy Scout carries.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34073 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big knife guy. I have a Buck lock back I bought on vacation in Maine when I was about 12 that I still use almost daily around the house (had it over 40 years now, wow!). But if I ever needed another knife there are so many other choices that Benchmade wouldn't even be a consideration due to these actions, which I also haven't forgotten about like Para. I put Springfield Armory in the same category. Never owned one of their guns, never will.

Posts: 2465 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Benchmade will never get another penny from me.

I sold one to someone that didn't care and bought a Spyderco. I have a Benchmade that has Sentimental value to me because my mother bought it for me and she is no longer with us. It just sets on the dresser next to her picture. That's where it will stay.

Once a company or person makes my shit list, they pretty much stay there. A small few has redeemed themselves, but that is rare. Hell my sister made the list 4 years ago and I just recently said more than hi to her. That was this Past 4th of July and again Tuesday at my cousins celebration of life at the funeral home. She passed away in March, but the pockylips didn't allow anything.

Back to Benchmade, they made nice knives but Spyderco does everything just as well as my Benchmade so I'm happy with them.

ARman

Posts: 3141 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post