SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATF proposing to ban/restrict pistol “braces.” Very short comment period: Please get involved.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 39
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATF proposing to ban/restrict pistol “braces.” Very short comment period: Please get involved. Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
ATF Plans to Finalize Pistol Brace Rule in January
WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 4, 2023

In a recent court filing, the Department of Justice claimed that the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) “expects to publish a final rule in January 2023.” That rule is the Factoring Criteria for Firearms with Attached “Stabilizing Braces” which was first proposed by the agency in June 2021. And, is the most recent in a long line of ATF guidance, rulings, and rules regarding firearms with attached stabilizing braces.

If finalized, the rule would likely subject most firearms with attached braces to the provisions of the National Firearms Act (NFA), which include additional taxation, long wait times, and registration.

Since 2012, when Biden was serving as then-President Barack Obama’s vice president, ATF has recognized that stabilizing braces serve a legitimate function, and the inclusion of a stabilizing brace on a pistol or other firearm does not automatically subject that firearm to the provisions of the NFA. That’s because stabilizing braces were first designed and intended to help disabled veterans fire large format pistols.

NRA has repeatedly pushed back on administration attempts to classify firearms with attached braces under the NFA. When the most recent rule was proposed NRA submitted comments, which you can find here.

More recently, on December 20, 2022, NRA-ILA staff met with the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs (OIRA), which was conducting its review of ATF’s final rule. OIRA review is generally the last step that an agency must cross in order to publish a final rule. At the meeting with OIRA, NRA staff voiced the many concerns that gun owners had with the proposed rule.

Now, it looks like ATF intends to move forward with the final rule despite the numerous problems that have been identified with the rule. While no definitive date has been set for the release in January, ATF has in the past released various rulings immediately before the National Shooting Sports Foundation’s Shooting, Hunting, and Outdoor Trade Show (SHOT). SHOT Show 2023 is scheduled to begin on Tuesday January 17th.

Please check nraila.org regularly for updates on this terrible rule and other regulations, legislation, and litigation that impact your Second Amendment rights.

https://www.nraila.org/article...race-rule-in-january

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now, it looks like ATF intends to move forward with the final rule despite the numerous problems that have been identified with the rule.

Shocking.

They all do it. The IRS, the FAA, and the fucks at the ATF are no different. Remote ID is a perfect example of the exact same kind of bullshit with the FAA.

Either cuck to the latest rulings, forever, or decide your line has been crossed and move on with life ignoring their bullshit until they catch you.

I fail to see where a legal middle ground exists anymore.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13939 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
FATF

Q

Posts: 26204 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:

Well, I imagine the ATF should 'brace' for a lawsuit then...

And to be consistent, it should be filed in the Fifth Circuit, which recently ruled (like LAST FRIDAY!) that the process the ATF used usurped the powers of Congress!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The bump stock ruling? That could be seen coming a mile away, since the NFA has very clear definitions of a machine gun, and an AR with a bump stock does not fit them.

With pistol braces, there's no language in the NFA that a plaintiff could work with to show that the ATF doesn't have the authority to declare them NFA items. A long gun with a pistol brace looks and functions VERY much like the NFA definition of an SBR.

If there's one issue the plaintiffs could harp on its that the NFA fully reversed itself on these devices. It had fully cleared them, now it wants to reel them back in, after millions have been sold. A court may look sideways at that, but I'm not that optimistic.

quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:

Well, I imagine the ATF should 'brace' for a lawsuit then...

And to be consistent, it should be filed in the Fifth Circuit, which recently ruled (like LAST FRIDAY!) that the process the ATF used usurped the powers of Congress!

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Fifth Circuit just blocked the bump stock ban. Maybe use the same logic to stay the pistol brace ban?
https://www.reuters.com/world/...p-stocks-2023-01-07/

I'm alright it's the rest of the world that's all screwed up!

Posts: 1363 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You can't use the same logic because there is no definition in the NFA to cite as the underlying law. While there will be suits its not the same legal issue. I would personally wonder if the best angle is the ADA, but detrimental reliance may be an approach. In any case if they publish what they trial ballooned braces are toast.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10970 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Many people have wondered, “Why didn’t they just call it a ‘stock’ in the first place and let it die?” On the other hand it was supposedly originally approved to help people with disabilities, and if that’s the only people who used it in the way it was designed, nothing would have ever come of it. But the ATF’s flip-flopping rulings might make a difference. At least one of the attorneys that follow gun rights issues did mention that briefly in one recent video as evidently having been considered by a court in a pro-rights ruling.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
From the Fifth Circuit Case:

The Fifth Circuit ruled the process the ATF used usurped the powers of Congress.

“As an initial matter, it purports to allow ATF—rather than Congress—to set forth the scope of criminal prohibitions,” Elrod wrote. “Indeed, the Government would outlaw bump stocks by administrative fiat even though the very same agency routinely interpreted the ban on machineguns as not applying to the type of bump stocks at issue here. Nor can we say that the statutory definition unambiguously supports the Government’s interpretation.”

It not that the ruling was specific to Bump Stocks, but rather that it's related to the way the ATF has 'routinely interpreted' the permissibility of the pistol brace previously!

Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8787 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, that's the thing. If the only government entity that says bump stocks are prohibited is the ATF, then by changing a ruling from an "OK" to a prohibition the ATF is actually creating a law. That they cannot do - Congress has to do it and the Congress has to make the law clearly mean what the ATF wants to rule or fuhgedaboudit.

Fingers crossed that we hear the 5th Circuit's language in other cases to come.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
With the bump stock rule, the ATF ruling contradicted the definition of a machine gun in the NFA. With the proposed pistol brace rule, that isn't the case. An AR withe a pistol brace does fit the definition of an SBR.

quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Well, that's the thing. If the only government entity that says bump stocks are prohibited is the ATF, then by changing a ruling from an "OK" to a prohibition the ATF is actually creating a law. That they cannot do - Congress has to do it and the Congress has to make the law clearly mean what the ATF wants to rule or fuhgedaboudit.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion, maybe we should have someone to represent the handicapped to fight the ban on the pistol brace as the original intent is an item for them to exercise their 2nd Amendment which can also be used by anyone. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3054 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Well, I finally got off my ass and got the ball rolling on an NFA trust today. I'm not going to wait for this to get fought out in the courts, or wait until the system gets positively choked with "amnesty" registrants. Gonna drop about a grand on E-File form 1's here as soon as I get my stuff notarized, printed, and passport photos and all that. It's not all braced pistols, but I have things I want to put a stock or a short barrel on and I don't want to fool around until wait times go from a month or so to the better part of a year or worse.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
and what happens in a few years when they decide 'you' creating the trust to get a tax stamp is a way to get around certain people having NFA firearms?

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
quote:

With the bump stock rule, the ATF ruling contradicted the definition of a machine gun in the NFA. With the proposed pistol brace rule, that isn't the case. An AR withe a pistol brace does fit the definition of an SBR.

It only fits the definition of an SBR if you CHANGE the definition of a Stock, and ignore the design intent of the Brace, as well as it's previously accepted compliance with the law!

Live Free or Die!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
and what happens in a few years when they decide 'you' creating the trust to get a tax stamp is a way to get around certain people having NFA firearms?

All responsible persons on a trust have to be fingerprinted and have a 5320.23 submitted at the time of Form 1 or Form 4 application, so I think that's a non-issue.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhracecraft:
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
quote:

It only fits the definition of an SBR if you CHANGE the definition of a Stock, and ignore the design intent of the Brace, as well as it's previously accepted compliance with the law!

Seeing how most people ignored the intent of the brace, one has to wonder why the ATF wants a change in the rules. How many braces sold times 200$ is a good chunk of change, even for the feds. I think the smart people have been pruning their social media accounts, but since the Sig Brace was introduced in 2015, how many pics and videos have you seen where the user is using the brace attached to their forearm? And how many with it being used as a stock? In the 7+ years since the brace was introduced, I've only seen the brace being used as a brace twice. Rest of the time, as a stock.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I couldn't care less how people use their brace. A stock, a stabilizer.... Couldn't. Give. A shit. Less.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
I couldn't care less how people use their brace. A stock, a stabilizer.... Couldn't. Give. A shit. Less.

Exactly. Doesn’t matter. That’s why the whole “designed or redesigned to design a redesign” nonsense went away. How you use a gun does not change the definition of what it is. Really, all this is, is the endgame of something as stupid as leaving SBR’s and SBS’ in the NFA after not banning pistols. The reason for them being written into the law in the first place was to make it illegal for people to end-run the ban on handguns that was originally in the NFA, then removed. It just highlights how stupid the law was in the first place, and now we’re all tied up in knots with an even higher doing everything they can to justify and “clarify” this bad piece of legislation that’s beyond outdated and was pointless right from jump.

Blume, this is me pointedly ignoring your obtuse and standard “but what about?” devil’s advocate routine.

Posts: 17060 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:

Even the ATF themselves previously said as much in their On Again, Off Again, Blessing, Non-Blessing of the Pistol Brace! I wonder if we'll need to apply for a Handicapped Placard to use one in the future? Maybe they'll propose we can only but Pistol Braces from Home Medical Equipment suppliers in the future? Roll Eyes

Probably Not...It's just about Banning Firearms, and targeting MILLIONS of Law Abiding Gun Owners! Mad

Live Free or Die!