SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why I hate civilian drones
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why I hate civilian drones Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by domcintosh:
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Assign a narrow band RF for the drones, and provide a "remote shutdown" command in the BIOS of the drone, and then add a transponder to aircraft that broadcasts on that frequency out to a mile or two.

Anything in the aircraft's "bubble" will shut down and go full Newton.

Anyone caught modifying to work around the intended operation of such solution, would incur stiff fines and or jail time and be prohibited for operating again.

Sure, more laws, but no one has a "right" to keep and bear drones.

So, it's a relatively new thing (beyond RC aircraft) but then, people involved in such things used to be "professional", self disciplined and the RC crowd self policed and shunned idiots.
Most commercial off the shelf drones operate on the 2.4 or 5.8 GHz frequencies, much like wireless router, with specific hop patterns. Would love to see the impact on airports of airplanes jamming 2.4 and 5.8 GHz. Additionally, this doesn't account for drones that are flying in an emissions control status, relying only on GPS. Further, would airlines be willing to accept the responsibility of dropping drones? By what force would you make companies build shut down commands into their firmware? What do you do for hobbyists and others that built their own avionics programming?

People do have rights to their personal property, and there are specific laws about interference with the EM spectrum, as regulated by the FCC and NTIA.

I'm sure everyone living within 2 miles of an airport would LOVE that their WIFI no longer works because it too operates on 2.4 or 5.8 ghz.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Rhino-

Hell yes, get their tail numbers! Report them to the FAA. They have effectively no sense of humor about such jackassery. Your drone didn't get a picture of the offending helicopter?

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
In typical fashion I didn't hit the record button in time - now I turn it on before I lift off. But the large majority of the -57s around here are where they should be (1000').

That moron in the C150 tho...

And I'm in full agreement that something bad will likely happen before changes are made - all the altitude restriction software can be changed and the drones can easily fly much, much higher and well beyond LOS ranges. It's a great capability but easily misused.

They are aircraft, not toys, and should be operated as such.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Who owns the sky and why?

Really, no side of the argument is right.

At what point can we consider a drone over our home a "threat"? We certainly could act if someone approached us in our yard.

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post