SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why I hate civilian drones
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why I hate civilian drones Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Because I (and 3 other people) almost got killed by one, yesterday.

We were on final approach to a rooftop helipad when we passed a drone flying right in our flight path. About 700 feet above the ground. We missed it by less than 75 feet.

Scared me bad. Everyone else, too.

I'm very grateful to be posting this here as opposed to you all reading about "the tragedy" on the news.

Don't fly drones near hospitals. Don't fly drones near helicopters.

Please. Just don't.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's only going to get worse, of course. Much worse. Before too long, I imagine there will be a fatal collision between one of these things and an aircraft, probably while the aircraft is taking off or landing.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 109051 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I thought about getting involved with drones, but it seems to me that it’s just a matter of time before something bad happens that forces some very tight rules and enforcement that I probably wouldn’t want to deal with. I certainly hope that’s true, anyway. Some dickheads just can’t not be dickheads.

Glad nothing worse happened.

On the subject, though, how big would the drones have to be if they were maneuvered into commercial airliner engines on takeoff to bring the aircraft down?
Drone experts: would that sort of precise control be possible?

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47679 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
What could have happened.

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
It's going to get worse before it gets better.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/ne...-20170225-story.html

Late last month, a pair of Islamic State fighters in desert camouflage climbed to the top of a river bluff in northern Iraq to demonstrate an important new weapon: a small drone, about six feet wide with swept wings and a small bomb tucked in its fuselage.

The two men launched the slender machine and took videos from a second, smaller drone that shadowed its movements. The aircraft glided over the besieged city of Mosul, swooped close to an Iraqi army outpost and dropped its bomb, scattering Iraqi troops with a small blast that left one figure sprawled on the ground, apparently dead or wounded.

The incident was among dozens in recent weeks in a rapidly accelerating campaign of armed drone strikes by the Islamic State in northern Iraq. The terrorist group last month formally announced the establishment of a new "Unmanned Aircraft of the Mujahideen" unit, a fleet of modified drones equipped with bombs, and claimed that its drones had killed or wounded 39 Iraqi soldiers in a single week.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/new...1ahOEy8AO/story.html

The Pentagon, concerned about the danger that small, armed drones pose to US troops, is moving forward with a project that looks beyond remote-control aircraft used by the Islamic State to an even more complex problem: an aerial raid of autonomous suicide bombers.

The unmanned bombers have not yet appeared in combat, but defense officials already are researching how to stop them. Laden with explosives or other dangerous materials, they would operate by crashing into US troops in a combat zone and would not be as easy to detect as existing drones used by the Islamic State, because they would not rely on radio frequencies for remote controlling. Instead, they would be programmed to carry out a specific mission, making them especially hard to see coming.

http://www.defensenews.com/art...de-vehicles-in-mosul

CANBERRA, Australia — Islamic State fighters were increasingly using Mad Max-style suicide vehicles and commercial drones armed with grenades in their defense of the Iraqi town of Mosul, Australia's defense chief said Wednesday.

Air Chief Marshal Mark Binskin likened the vehicles used by the Islamic State group against Iraqi government troops to those featured in the George Miller-directed post-apocalyptic movie franchise.

Multiple attacks by explosive vehicles were the group's first line of defense, Binskin told a Senate committee.

"These could come as just vehicles that are loaded (with explosives), but more likely now in what you would hear termed 'Mad Max vehicles' — lots of steel around them, small slits for the drivers to see, and they're predominantly suicide attacks," Binskin said.

Posts: 1726 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
You do not want to lose a tail rotor. Trust me.

Posts: 20565 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No different than guns, alcohol/drugs, cars or a myriad of other things. It's not really ever about the inatimate object but the person operating it.

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hanlon's Razor /prov./ A corollary of Finagle's Law, similar to Occam's Razor, that reads "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately

OP's close call has nothing to do with "malice." It is more serious than that. Instead of one or two maliscious people across the world, there are THOUSANDS of drones, many which are controlled by idiots. And these idiots are the reason govts are tightening the restrictions on drone use.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Like firearms laws, the problem won't be solved by putting pen to paper. We need to start enacting and inventing active drone defenses for places like hospitals and airports.

Automated 12g birdshot turrets, perhaps?

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17597 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Maybe a Prince is important enough?

I wonder what the fallout in England will be after their favorite son's helicopter (he was off that day) almost hits a drone.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I thought they were limited to like 400 feet?

Time to start destroying drones near sensitive locations...

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8154 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:
Hanlon's Razor /prov./ A corollary of Finagle's Law, similar to Occam's Razor, that reads "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately

OP's close call has nothing to do with "malice." It is more serious than that. Instead of one or two maliscious people across the world, there are THOUSANDS of drones, many which are controlled by idiots. And these idiots are the reason govts are tightening the restrictions on drone use.

He IS the OP. That is part of his signature line.

If you added a separator line it would avoid the confusion though. You can add the separation line by typing [H R] and taking out the space between H and R.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21108 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:

Yup, that's just my normal signature line Smile

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I'd feel the same way. I have a few cheap drones, mostly smaller than my hand. The rule is anything over half a pound in weight has to be licensed by the FAA. I keep mine in my yard and I'd be surprised if I've ever reached 100 ft high. It becomes hard to see at that height. I treat mine more like a remote controlled car. I also keep my neighbors in mind when I fly mine. Like the airwaves, the sky is going to become more crowded by people who don't know what they're doing.

Posts: 6039 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:

Yup, that's just my normal signature line Smile

Bruce

Refer to this post for how to put a line above the signature line to avoid confusion with content of a post. Cool

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What is the range of the drones?

Posts: 7094 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
For most of the hand sized drones (approx) the range is around 300 feet/100 yards. However that is usually not obtainable in reality and is severely limited by eyesight. You can't control your drone if you can't see it. As you get into bigger classes and more expensive you can see it farther and if you shell out more $ you get perks like GPS return to point and hover (handy in filming). Battery length on most hand sized it between 5-15 minutes. I don't have any expensive enough to hover or return to point.

This video is from a Hubsan X4 107c and shows about the height limit. It does not have 1st person pov. It's twitchy or maybe I'm twitchy. At this size and weight they are seriously affected by any wind.

https://youtu.be/Og7_WOYB5sc

Posts: 6039 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one that will go 4.3 miles out and make it back. Keep in mind that you are always supposed to fly line of sight so I have really only gone a couple hundred yards. Sooner or later the manufacturers will have to add software that doesn't allow them over 400ft in height. Most of the high end ones are set from the factory to not go over that height but it's really only a suggestion and common sense that keeps them lower than that.

The higher end ones also will give plent of warnings when you are getting close to restricted air space. My guess is that this type of software that is currently on the high end drones will be mandated on all civilian drones and also be undefeatable.

Posts: 4000 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.theregister.co.uk/...ayer_rules_in_court/

So far one guy who shot down a drone has been winning in court, through an appeals court win. I
nteresting reading about a 1936 decision involving property and a 83' ceiling.

Jim

Posts: 1353 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
https://www.theregister.co.uk/...ayer_rules_in_court/

So far one guy who shot down a drone has been winning in court, through an appeals court win. Interesting reading about a 1936 decision involving property and a 83' ceiling.

Jim

Posts: 1353 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post