SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Why I hate civilian drones
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why I hate civilian drones Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Well done, sir.
You are obviously one of the people we don't have to worry about. Smile
Enjoy them.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of domcintosh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
Assign a narrow band RF for the drones, and provide a "remote shutdown" command in the BIOS of the drone, and then add a transponder to aircraft that broadcasts on that frequency out to a mile or two.

Anything in the aircraft's "bubble" will shut down and go full Newton.

Anyone caught modifying to work around the intended operation of such solution, would incur stiff fines and or jail time and be prohibited for operating again.

Sure, more laws, but no one has a "right" to keep and bear drones.

So, it's a relatively new thing (beyond RC aircraft) but then, people involved in such things used to be "professional", self disciplined and the RC crowd self policed and shunned idiots.
Most commercial off the shelf drones operate on the 2.4 or 5.8 GHz frequencies, much like wireless router, with specific hop patterns. Would love to see the impact on airports of airplanes jamming 2.4 and 5.8 GHz. Additionally, this doesn't account for drones that are flying in an emissions control status, relying only on GPS. Further, would airlines be willing to accept the responsibility of dropping drones? By what force would you make companies build shut down commands into their firmware? What do you do for hobbyists and others that built their own avionics programming?

People do have rights to their personal property, and there are specific laws about interference with the EM spectrum, as regulated by the FCC and NTIA.

The opinions expressed in no way reflect the stance or opinion of my employer.

Posts: 5446 | Location: Stationed in Kitsap Washington w/ the USN | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
I hate these things, and as Para and others have said....there WILL be a disaster that will change the industry. Its too damn bad it will take many deaths to wake people up to the fact that drones can be lethal weapons of mass-destruction, and they do NOT belong under the Christmas tree. These are not COX airplanes or Estes rocket toys.

What could a clever terrorist do with a drone?

Hmmmmn.

Posts: 3260 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
If and when we get reports of drones in our airspace, or close to, cops get called if we don't know who they are.

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
If and when we get reports of drones in our airspace, or close to, cops get called if we don't know who they are.

But what if one flies into your face/engines/rotors before the cops arrive?

I see more media coverage over lazers being pointed at planes, than I do about drones. Drones are much more dangerous, in my opinion.

Also, drones can carry a payload. Just ask Amazon.

I am not a pilot, but I have friends that are.

They are worried.

Picture of domcintosh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
quote:

I see more media coverage over lazers being pointed at planes, than I do about drones. Drones are much more dangerous, in my opinion.

They are worried.
You should be worried.

The following article details statements made by Gen. John E. Hyten, Commander, Strategic Command, before the House Armed Services Committee, including the statement:

"Of recent concern have been the unauthorized flights of unmanned aerial systems (UAS) over Navy and Air Force installations," Gen. Hyten said. "These intrusions represent a growing threat to the safety and security of nuclear weapons and personnel."

http://www.washingtontimes.com...ed-nuclear-faciliti/

Posts: 5446 | Location: Stationed in Kitsap Washington w/ the USN | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by domcintosh:
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
quote:

They are worried.
You should be worried.

The following article details statements made by Gen. John E. Hyten, Commander, Strategic Command, before the House Armed Services Committee, including the statement:

"Of recent concern have been the unauthorized flights of unmanned aerial systems (UAS) over Navy and Air Force installations," Gen. Hyten said. "These intrusions represent a growing threat to the safety and security of nuclear weapons and personnel."

http://www.washingtontimes.com...ed-nuclear-faciliti/

Excuse my language, but F-Yes I am worried.
This is a BIG deal and the public does not get it yet. They will after a bunch of innocents get killed.

I see you are local. Thank you for your service.

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...af-anti-drone-amtac/

"Drones pose a real security problem for law enforcement. They are relatively small and easy to hide, can quickly be deployed, allow for surveillance, and can carry a payload. And once in the air, how do you quickly take them down?
An order placed in late January by the U.S. Air Force gives us a good idea of how law enforcement drone defense is probably going to work. The Drive reports that a Notice of Contract Action was submitted by the Air Force to evaluate 600 12-gauge SkyNet Mi-5 shotgun shells supplied by AMTEC Less Lethal Systems (ALS).
The Mi-5 shells are anti-drone rounds and contain a five-foot wide capture net. When fired, five tethered segments spin and extend to create the net which travels towards the targeted drone, wraps around it, and raises it to the ground. The only damage caused will be from the impact with the ground, which should offer a chance to inspect and collect evidence from the drone."

Video:

https://youtu.be/FAILUw3FbKk

Posts: 16169 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/...af-anti-drone-amtac/

"Drones pose a real security problem for law enforcement. They are relatively small and easy to hide, can quickly be deployed, allow for surveillance, and can carry a payload. And once in the air, how do you quickly take them down?
An order placed in late January by the U.S. Air Force gives us a good idea of how law enforcement drone defense is probably going to work. The Drive reports that a Notice of Contract Action was submitted by the Air Force to evaluate 600 12-gauge SkyNet Mi-5 shotgun shells supplied by AMTEC Less Lethal Systems (ALS).
The Mi-5 shells are anti-drone rounds and contain a five-foot wide capture net. When fired, five tethered segments spin and extend to create the net which travels towards the targeted drone, wraps around it, and raises it to the ground. The only damage caused will be from the impact with the ground, which should offer a chance to inspect and collect evidence from the drone."

Video:

https://youtu.be/FAILUw3FbKk

"Raise it to the ground?"

Those are cool - I want some of those for my 870. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21921 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of domcintosh
posted Hide Post
Low effective range, uncertain ballistics, and a mobile target limit the combat effectiveness of that option. All of the branches of the military that have something to protect are looking into every good idea fairy.

Just wish people would stop talking about birds of prey.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I had one above me on the tollway. I was riding one of my motorcycles, the pilot got a little too close. Red and blue flashing lights. I went wfo and dropped it. Idiots.

Second time, walking into a theater, just to get tickets, same deal, it follows me in. I'm not into the shit but this one was large, to me looked like military grade. Was loud as hell. I asked the officer in uniform at the front and he shrugged it off.

I wish it was legal to shoot them out of the sky. They are a nuisance. Designated areas only I say. If I see a neighbor kid flying one over my property or backyard I'm taking it down with the pellet gun and will take the ticket. I pay a mortgage for privacy. Don't invade it or I'll put your $500 machine to death.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12932 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:...
"Raise it to the ground?"

Raze.

Thank publik skul.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44460 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Who owns the sky and why?

Really, no side of the argument is right.

Posts: 21345 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing new under the sun.

Same problem with guns, fast cars / motorcycles, alcohol, dangerous breed dogs, tannerite, etc.

Issue is not drones themselves but the idiots using them unsafely.

------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:

Sounds like a P-51 Red Face

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8546 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
HoundDog, in Florida "bolo" type shotgun shells are already outlawed for mere citizens.

Posts: 16169 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
quote:

When the FAA goes to the trouble to designate controlled airspace and use radar and air traffic controllers to manage it, I say the FAA owns the sky (class Bravo airspace).
That's a necessary condition of flying giant aircraft full of highly flammable liquids over densely populated areas.
Flying your toy in those designated lanes in the same as running your RC car on a 6 lane 80 mph freeway with the side benefit that almost every vehicle on that freeway is a fuel tanker speeding mere feet away from an apartment complex.

I won't be shooting drones down. But I could see myself beating someone senseless for using one in a way that endangered other people.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4248 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Like all things, you can do them well or you can be an idiot.

Drones are fun when operated over your own property IAW proper safety rules.

And just like the Drone at 700' with the helo that the OP posted about, I had a helo at 300' with my drone looking down on him from 375'. And he was over my home (and others in the area), my swath of property, so I'm pretty sure he was in the wrong (no airports or HLZs within miles).

Don't get me started about the idiot in his C150 that cruises over the area at maybe 150' every couple of months. One of these days I'll get his side number.

I'm pretty sure there are more idiots with drones, simply because they are cheaper and easier to acquire than an airplane.

And for reference, here are the small UAS rules per Part 107. https://www.faa.gov/uas/media/Part_107_Summary.pdf

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
quote:

When the FAA goes to the trouble to designate controlled airspace and use radar and air traffic controllers to manage it, I say the FAA owns the sky (class Bravo airspace).
That's a necessary condition of flying giant aircraft full of highly flammable liquids over densely populated areas.
Flying your toy in those designated lanes in the same as running your RC car on a 6 lane 80 mph freeway with the side benefit that almost every vehicle on that freeway is a fuel tanker speeding mere feet away from an apartment complex.

I won't be shooting drones down. But I could see myself beating someone senseless for using one in a way that endangered other people.

Bruce

Sort of like the FED GOV owning over 50% of all the land West of Mississippi ...

Or banning any private land ownership in ANWR Alaska.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26758 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post