SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    American born woman competes for china in Olympics.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

American born woman competes for china in Olympics. Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slowlane:
I think she is a traitor to her country and should be looked at the same way that Jane Fonda is in other words she is a traitorous bitch.

It’s a major stretch to equate an unknown who plays a game for another country that most Americans support economically to one degree or another with a prominent American citizen who lent aid and comfort to an enemy with which we were at war by posing with its military forces.

Being annoyed with Gu is understandable. Saying that Fonda’s traitorous acts were equivalent to Gu’s is not. It either makes criticism of Gu ridiculous hyperbole or trivializes what Fonda did.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:
I think she is a traitor to her country and should be looked at the same way that Jane Fonda is in other words she is a traitorous bitch.

It’s a major stretch to equate an unknown who plays a game for another country that most Americans support economically to one degree or another with a prominent American citizen who lent aid and comfort to an enemy with which we were at war by posing with its military forces.

Being annoyed with Gu is understandable it. Saying that Fonda’s traitorous acts were equivalent to Gu’s is not. It either makes criticism of Gu ridiculous hyperbole or trivializes what Fonda did.

Amen.

At least Gu gave up her USA citizenship.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://www.breitbart.com/spor...ls-on-ice-yet-again/

The American-born Olympic ice skater who gave up her U.S. citizenship to compete for China has fallen on the ice for a second time, infuriating her adopted homeland.

Beverly Yi, 19, was born in the U.S.A. but a few years ago decided to renounce her American citizenship and moved to China to make her debut as a Chinese figure skater. She changed her name to a Zhu Yi and began appearing in competitions in the communist nation.

Yi’s debut was bad enough, but China’s ardent Olympics fans were sparked to anger all over again on Monday when Zhu Yi fell on the ice for a second time during Monday’s final event in the team competition.

Posts: 19578 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

The American-born Olympic ice skater who gave up her U.S. citizenship to compete for China has fallen on the ice for a second time, infuriating her adopted homeland.

Beverly Yi, 19, was born in the U.S.A. but a few years ago decided to renounce her American citizenship and moved to China to make her debut as a Chinese figure skater. She changed her name to a Zhu Yi and began appearing in competitions in the communist nation.

Yi’s debut was bad enough, but China’s ardent Olympics fans were sparked to anger all over again on Monday when Zhu Yi fell on the ice for a second time during Monday’s final event in the team competition.

She'll disappear now

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

She'll disappear now

If she survives she’ll be found in a remote province working and giving birth simultaneously in a swampy rice paddy.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29702 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gu dose not have dual citizenship with China. She said that she was a true American “bullshit”. She can keep her sorry ass in China and anyone who thinks that it is OK to betray their country with a Dictatorship country like China can kiss my old wrinkle ass.

Posts: 40 | Location: Southwestern Ohio | Registered: September 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
She's gonna be chillin with that Tennis player.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Eileen Gu was born in California is a USA citizen and is skiing for China. I think she is a traitor to her country and should be looked at the same way that Jane Fonda is in other words she is a traitorous bitch. Sorry if this offended anyone but she pissis me off.

Gu's got dual citizenship. It's a pity in its own way, but we're obligated to let her back into the country.

And please don't get me wrong - this exact thing pisses me off on a regular basis when it comes to who plays for the men's national soccer teams in international competition.

I don't believe she has dual citizenship, as China doesn't allow it and neither does the US. HOWEVER, the controlling CCP will make all sorts of exceptions and change things as they see fit so, they may have made an 'exception'.

As for Slowlane's post....over-reaction.
Fonda's actions had real-world implications with an adversary that was intent on actively killing American's, Gu's decision has no effect for any US citizen other than optics, and the pathetic nature of how her parents raised her on display.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
quote:
Eileen Gu was born in California is a USA citizen and is skiing for China. I think she is a traitor to her country and should be looked at the same way that Jane Fonda is in other words she is a traitorous bitch. Sorry if this offended anyone but she pissis me off.

Gu's got dual citizenship. It's a pity in its own way, but we're obligated to let her back into the country.

And please don't get me wrong - this exact thing pisses me off on a regular basis when it comes to who plays for the men's national soccer teams in international competition.

I don't believe she has dual citizenship, as China doesn't allow it and neither does the US. HOWEVER, the controlling CCP will make all sorts of exceptions and change things as they see fit so, they may have made an 'exception'.

Fonda's actions had real-world implications with an adversary that was intent on actively killing American's, Gu's decision has no effect for any US citizen other than optics, and the pathetic nature of how her parents raised her on display.

China does not recognize dual citizenship. It does not exist with China.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fonda is in a class of her own traitorous making.

Posts: 1453 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:
quote:

You got it half right. China doesn't allow dual citizenship. The US does. I know a lot of Americans who have dual citizenship and a few that have citizenship in three countries that include the US. It's perfectly legal with regard to the US.

Like China, Japan doesn't allow dual citizenship for adults. In spite of that, Naomi Osaka, Eileen Gu and this skater seemed to have evaded the rules. There is no indication that any of them renounced their US citizenship, as required by their adopted countries.

-Loungechair

Posts: 675 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
speaking of the Olympics, no USA gold. WTF is going on?

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
Fonda is in a class of her own traitorous making.

Yep. Sometime in the early 80's Jim Webb, Marine, Sec. of Def. author of Fields of Fire
was in SoCal pitching his book on the radio.His interlocutor told him that Hanoi Jane was going to make a presentation in town and would Webb go listen to her.
Webb paused a moment and told the guy he wouldn't cross the street to watch her cut her own throat.
I didn't write a book but I would cross that street.

Posts: 6396 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did not realize the US allows dual citizenship:

https://travel.state.gov/conte...ual-Nationality.html

Posts: 194 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
How has China had the opportunity to host the Olympics twice within such a short span of time? That should not happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LoungeChair:
You got it half right. China doesn't allow dual citizenship. The US does. I know a lot of Americans who have dual citizenship and a few that have citizenship in three countries that include the US. It's perfectly legal with regard to the US.

Thanks for the the correction, friend and I were discussing it and he said the same, as he's more involved with int'l business travel.
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
How has China had the opportunity to host the Olympics twice within such a short span of time? That should not happen.

The IOC is at a point where overall costs have become punitive to host countries, thus there's only two types of locations when the bidders coming forward: those who have supported international events in the past and have existing infrastructure, and those who are pushing a nationalistic agenda. The finalists were Oslo, Norway, Almaty Kazakstan and Beijing China. I'm sure you can figure our where each of the three finalists fall into, and whom provided the heaviest envelopes to voting members.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Summer in 2008, winter in 2022. 14 years apart. They want it to prove something the rest of the world doesn't really care about anymore.

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here is another one that jumped ship to China, only this time got them gold:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports...tizenship-gold-china

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:

As mentioned it has been 14 years since the only other time China has served as Olympic host. Are you thinking of Japan last year hosting the summer Olympics?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16355 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't think this has been said .... but

Tanya Harding level epic fail !

Posts: 345 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: September 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post