SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alcohol - anyone else here just lose the taste for it?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alcohol - anyone else here just lose the taste for it? Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I’m kinda going the other way. I recently discovered scotch whisky and Tito’s vodka and I’ve been enjoying them both quite a bit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21127 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I have not lost the taste for it, but I have lost the desire to drink so much that I become drunk.

A occasional beer (2-4), or a couple of bourbons or scotch on the rocks, does me just fine thank you.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I have not lost the taste for it, but I have lost the desire to drink so much that I become drunk.

A occasional beer (2-4), or a couple of bourbons or scotch on the rocks, does me just fine thank you.

This is where I’m at. I enjoy the taste of bourbon. I don’t like to be drunk. One strong beer or a dram is all I want. Of course I’m not drinking anything now because I’m in Kabul for a year Frown

Posts: 2405 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Drank way too much in college...majored in beer, minored in women. Switched it every other week. My GPA reflects that.

My consumption now is at MAYBE one glass of Merlot per week (and that's overstated), MAYBE one frozen margarita per month, and Crown Royal Black Label ONLY when I'm enjoying a cigar...might have two (2) 2-3 oz. drinks in one ice cube. And that averages MAYBE 12-15 times per YEAR (probably overstated as well, as I have yet to be outside with a stogie in all of 2018 and there isn't Black Label in my cabinet).

I wouldn't say I've "lost my taste for it", per se. I believe it's just a matter that it's not a focal point anymore when I'm with/around friends unless we get outside with the fire pits in cool weather. And in Houston, you can just about imagine how often THAT happens.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of GGF
posted Hide Post
Stopped drinking the day I started taking diabetes medicine.

I have a profound desire to keep my eyesight and blood flow going to my feet, you see! Big Grin

Posts: 698 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
“Still confused.”

My point is if you’ve been drinking and shoot someone, it will come back around and cause problems. Especially if you happen to have a badge.

I don't mean to diminish being responsible but wouldn't the circumstances dictate the outcome of potential issues?
I would also stipulate being intoxicated can cause bad decisions.
Some people cannot control themselves no matter how much they imbibe and are wise to stay away from dangerous objects up to and including firearms.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I have to force myself to drink booze these days.

Cannot imagine why one would do that. If you don't like it, don't want it, don't drink it.

Toasts and such but it’s not a a regular occurance. The funny part is that people assume you have a drinking problem if you aren’t constantly drinking in social settings.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Don't drink, never developed a taste for alcohol of any kind. All the money saved from buying alcohol over the years has allowed me to buy and sell lots of guns Wink

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I enjoy a little hooch, but I hardly ever drink more than one drink - be it beer, a glass of wine or a cocktail. And that is down to once or twice a week, sometimes not even that often.

I never did drink all that much, but I used to drink more than I do now.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orive 8:
Don't drink, never developed a taste for alcohol of any kind. All the money saved from buying alcohol over the years has allowed me to buy and sell lots of guns Wink

Same here, it's pretty awesome.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4622 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I sometimes shudder when thinking about how much we used to drink, particularly in college and in the service.

While in the Army, we'd go to work at 0700 and work until 5ish, at which point we'd head to the NCO club for dinner and a "few" beers. Those "few" beers would invariably turn into leaving the club at 0200. At 0500 we'd go to PT, go home, take a shower, head to work, and rinse and repeat. This took place most days of the week. How my liver survived is a mystery.

Here and there since then, I'm not ashamed to admit that I've crawled into a bottle. Despite the family curse, I've never had much trouble crawling back out. So I've got that going for me...which is nice.

A couple of years back I quit drinking altogether for nearly two years. I don't know why...just did...seemed like the thing to do at the time. Neither my life, my health, nor anything else changed appreciably during that time, so I thought, "meh...".

Some people smoke, some chew, some drink coffee, some smoke a little grass. Me? I like my whiskey. It just calms me down and puts me on a nice even plane...and I like the taste (I don't go for the flavored crap, whiskey should taste like whiskey).

These days, comfortably into my 50s, I don't drink to get drunk or even to catch a buzz, just to relax. Alcohol is very good at that job.

I am, however, ever mindful of the curse.

Posts: 20131 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My hypocrisy goes only so far
Picture of GrumpyBiker
posted Hide Post
Nope, I enjoy all different kinds of Beers, Wines & Bourbons.
Can't drink to excess as I can't stand a hangover.
Drinking in the Corps was great for me.
As I seemed to get all the silliness out of my system.
I also have to much I like to do to spend my Sundays with a sore head.

But I'll gladly admit to really enjoying sitting down with a glass of Bourbon after work, before bed & reading .
No more biker parties, no more silliness, just the pleasure of the moment.

U.S.M.C.
VFW-8054
III%

"Never let a Wishbone grow where a Backbone should be "

Posts: 6932 | Location: Central,Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lost the taste - no. Lost the taste for the cheap crap, yes.

I never drink socially though. At most I'll have 3 drinks a week in the comfort of my own home when the wife is enjoying a glass of wine. Beer is out, and summer calls for a gin an tonic, or neat scotch, fall and winter are the seasons of bourbon.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never been much of a drinker. Just social, really. We have a really neat local brewery and i like their sours. I’m not a craft beer snob by any means, but I don’t like piss water.

I do enjoy the occasional Moscow Mule in the warm months.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 814 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I used to drink some in my younger days, then quit altogether. Lately though I have started again, but NOT in social settings at all like it used to be.

These days I drink strictly for medicinal purposes at home, and then, only because I cannot get the relief I need through prescription medications at this time! It sucks... bigtime, but if I’m to avoid putting a bullet through my head because I cannot stand the pain any longer, it’s the only option I have available at this moment! I don’t necessarily like it, but it works!

Doctors have become so averse to prescribing narcotic pain meds these days that you pretty much have to be dying to get them, so my only “legal” option at this time is alcohol... and I really don’t like it! However, it does the intended job; kills the pain where OTC meds fail, and puts me to sleep at night where every single Rx sleep med failed in the past! Insomnia sucks... so alcohol to the rescue.

Shit-faced on Jim Beam or Evan Williams does the trick. Do I like it? Hell no, but it works!

Do I “like it”? Yes and No.

I do actually love the taste of bourbon, but I hate the feeling of being shit-faced drunk. I also like the relief from the physical pain it provides, and the relief from insomnia.

Does that answer your original question? I highly doubt it, but that’s how it is for me...

Posts: 4604 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
Toasts and such but it’s not a a regular occurance. The funny part is that people assume you have a drinking problem if you aren’t constantly drinking in social settings.

Agreed, it's easier to get a bottle of beer with dark glass and nurse it all night, then dump it when it gets warm and have "another".

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post