SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alcohol - anyone else here just lose the taste for it?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alcohol - anyone else here just lose the taste for it? Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I don't drink anymore; I carry 24/7, 7 days a week, and in addition, I just don't have any interest whatsoever anymore.

The last time I was drunk was in the summer of 2005, I haven't had a single drink for about 7 years at a buddies going away party at my house.

The really funny thing is at my last background investigation, I disclosed that I do not drink and felt like I was given an Inquisition level questioning over it. Like I was the one with the problem for not having a problem.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15626 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
The really funny thing is at my last background investigation, I disclosed that I do not drink and felt like I was given an Inquisition level questioning over it. Like I was the one with the problem for not having a problem.
Not surprised. There is a benefit to having drink once a year because you can say you drink 'socially'. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I haven't lost the taste for beer at all, but I have cut way back on consumption from previous levels. Under circumstances I don't want to talk about, I went for an 8-month period and a 6-month period a few years later with none at all and was able to get through it.

Posts: 28007 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Just don’t have time for it anymore. Weekdays I’m busy with a career, lifting at the gym, and eating right. I train every week night and have to train my k9 every night as well. Weekends hit and I always have stuff to do inside or outside the house, vehicle work, it’s always something. Spent 7 hours landscaping yesterday in 107 degree heat, 4 more to do today, then I get to take apart the clothes washer and try to fix it with some parts that just came in yesterday. After that prep for the work week. Typical weekend as a homeowner. Alcohol just doesn’t fit in with my workouts, my diet, or my free time any longer. It’s actually extremely counterproductive to everything else I do.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12660 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I get gout pretty easily, which keeps my alcohol consumption to a minimum. Not that I was a real bad drunk™️ before that point in time.

Posts: 26943 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can’t say I lost it, but never had it.

My lifetime consumption of alcohol would not even fill one wine glass.

Posts: 8962 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Never had a taste for it. I actually don't like the taste of alcohol (yes, it does have a taste, even without the added flavors of usual beverages). And I'm silly enough without drinking that I've never seen the need to imbibe. Over the years I have identified a few beverages that I can tolerate if I really want to show a group I'm willing to "fit in", but the circumstances are very rare. Most folks just accept me the way I am--a non-drinker.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My joints and metabolism already complain enough in the morning. Add in a couple of beers, that's energy better put towards safely negotiating the steps.

In August of 2016 I pulled down a ceiling to get to a broken pipe and breathed in some nasty old dust. A lung infection quickly followed. Casual beer-and-a-smoke days were numbered, as the casual smoke was hammering my lungs. It was easier to avoid the smoking trigger by ditching the beer.

I buy a 12-pack for the fridge every six months, rotating it out to a buddy, and replacing it.

There's scotch in the cupboard this past decade now. For snake bites, see.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Going on near 30 years ago last taste lost interest.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drank quite a bit in my teens, then increased in the USAF. Acquired a fondness for Southern Comfort. Once I started in police work, I began to see alcohol in a new light. I may now have a beer with a meal on an infrequent basis.
No regrets about quitting, especially given the cost of drinking if you like drinking in bars or the good stuff at home.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16124 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Nope.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nope...still have a taste for good bourbon. I don't drink during the day, with meals, or after meals. I have a couple of light cocktails in the evening before I fix supper. It is my "quiet time".

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes. High School, College, and for about 10 years after college I drank quite abundantly. But was I entered my late 30's I drank less and less. Now, at 57, I may have a drink/beer/wine once a month or less. I will sometimes go months without having any alcohol.

Just sort of moved on, don't miss it, but when I do have a drink, I enjoy it, but that is about it, one.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
No more dancing on the end table wearing the lamp shade for a hat Big Grin

You sound like some of my old Navy friends! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Difference between me and you and your Navy friends is I could never (even on my best day) put an aircraft like a FA-18 onto a carrier and not kill myself and a boat load of people on deck. You and your buddies rock my friend.

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't drink anymore; I carry 24/7, 7 days a week...

What does that have to do with it?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I never had much love for alcohol. I enjoy a nice burbon or whiskey, and with some dishes I enjoy a glass of wine, but I rarely imbibe, and on the occasion that I do, I typically have only 1 or 2 drinks. I may go for months between times that I consume alcohol.

I'm not sure I have even hit a level of impairment approaching "drunk" for several years now.

Sure, I have had some stupid, booze-fueled evenings, but most all of those are now ten years or more in the past. I don't see myself reliving any of those times.

I don't like the awful feeling of a hangover, nor do I particularly enjoy the feeling of being buzzed or worse. I don't ever want my daughter to see me drunk - never, ever.

So, I don't really drink, and never really have. If I do drink, I tend towards good stuff that can be a pleasure, and I'm never drinking for the buzz.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
I come from a long line of heavy drinkers. I grew up around it. When I was younger I often ended up drinking too much. Once I had a few they just kept flowing. As I have gotten older I have a better understanding of my limitations and I am more focused on staying in shape. I rarely drink anymore, maybe a few times a year. When I do its just a one or two.

JC

Posts: 1273 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Your palate changes as you age. Things you liked previously now don't hold much appeal, and the opposite it true as well. I was a beer guy, and now, I'll open one occasionally, and maybe drink half. Bourbon, on the other hand, I didn't like and now I enjoy, though that may be partly due to the quality o bourbon I drink now.

Same for foods, though. I like beets, avacados, now, didn't before. Really don't like chicken anymore, though.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
I don't drink anymore; I carry 24/7, 7 days a week...

What does that have to do with it?

NOT a thing.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
I drank a lot in the military, and after getting married not too long after I got out, I slowed down.

I absolutely love the taste of my favorite beers, but I just don't have any desire for the alcohol that goes with it.

I stopped completely almost a year ago now since I've been diagnosed with kidney disease. I got back to the 70% function range so I want to keep it there. However, if they came up with a great tasting NA beer/stout, I'd be all over it.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1182 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post