SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alcohol - anyone else here just lose the taste for it?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alcohol - anyone else here just lose the taste for it? Login/Join 
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted
Just curious.

I've been a social drinker since my early 20s - came with the job (Naval Aviation), so if you are familiar with that you understand the context.

Throughout my 20s and 30s I enjoyed beer, scotch, and wine. Amount ebbed and flowed, sometimes it was party time and sometimes I didn't have a drop for many weeks. Never impacted work, just the waistline and wallet as I usually drank good beer, not the light American horse piss.

Then a few years ago the didn't have a drop for weeks turned into months and when it came to drinking beer, months turned into years. For no particular reason I can pinpoint.

About the only alcohol I'll have now is a single glass of wine with an appropriate special meal or maybe 1-2 at Thanksgiving / Christmas. If an old Navy friend shows up I'll have a Scotch to toast old friends and old times, but that's about it.

Anyone else?

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Used to be a beer guy in the 20/30s. The shift would always go out after work for a beer. As the years go by, stopped drinking it for health reasons and started doing wine after shift with the dispatchers (yeah yeah, whatever). But in my 40s now, I've stopped everything except for whiskey or scotch once a week at the end of a work week.

My current poison is Lagavulin 16.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8033 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’ve never been a heavy drinker. But I’m drinking less frequently over time. When I do drink, I’m fairly selective. If I drink, it’s going to be good stuff. Sake is still enjoyable. I rarely drink hard stuff - it’s too hard and the good stuff is too expensive.

The only stuff I drink on a regular basis is port. Even then a bottle goes a long way.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Haven't totally lost the taste, but I've cut back. I used to have 1-2 beers, 3-4 days a week, with dinner or after work.

For the last month or two, I just haven't been feeling it. Now I have about 1 beer a week. My usually well-stocked beer fridge is down to just a handful of beers, since I haven't been replenishing it like I typically do.

No real explanation. Just don't want it.

Posts: 32557 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alcohol - anyone else here just lose the taste for it?

Nope, not yet. I don't imagine I'll ever quit the boozing.

But like Konata, i tend to only drink the good stuff nowadays. I don't bother anymore with rotgut like bud light, corona, or cheap whiskey and wine.

And I try to be reasonable. No drinking before noon...uhhh, 11am.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30433 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I can't really say that I have "just lost the taste for it," but my interest in alcohol has certainly decreased. No reason that I can think of, it just seems that I have other priorities.

I have not abandoned alcohol completely, I just drink a lot less than I did in my younger days. It was just three days ago that I had what seems to be my monthly beer, when I met another forum member for lunch. One beer. I can't remember the one before that, it has to be at least a month, maybe two or three.

My wife and I each had a glass of wine with dinner three or four weeks ago.

I can't remember the last time I had a Scotch or a martini. Months? Years?

I guess part of my decline in alcohol consumption is due to cost. A martini or a whisky at a restaurant will add somewhere in the neighborhood of ten bucks to the cost of dinner, by the time tax and tip enter the picture. I don't think I get ten dollars worth of enjoyment from it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30733 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Never acquired the desire to drink.

Can't do that and afford half inch bullets with my budget, so...

Posts: 9171 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I like a beer with dinner and I'll have the occasional shot or two of whiskey/whisky. There's occasional social drinking.

The liquor is relatively infrequent and irregular. I'll easily take a pass on the beer if it's breakfast for dinner (beer doesn't match with typical breakfast foods, IMO) or if we're eating out some place that doesn't serve it.

Six months ago I participated in a fat loss challenge. I gave up all unnecessary carbs for 21 days--including all alcoholic beverages. Wasn't a problem for me.

So I'm certain I could give it up permanently if I wanted, but I see no reason to while I'm still enjoying it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sounds like someone is feeling guilty about something?

Like anything in excess there can be detrimental effects.
As we age the amount (at least for me) is to consume less.
As for the taste > I find it becomes more defined.
Other than that IMO it's not a good/bad thing unless you want it to be.

Posts: 22943 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't say that I've lost the taste for it. But I can go for weeks-months without a beer or a pour of the brown stuff and not feel like I am missing out. I enjoy and am thankful to not have any dependence on it.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Drank plenty in my late teens, in the USAF, and the rest of my life until I was about 50 years old. Around then if I drank even one beer, my body told me it no longer appreciated it. I felt like crap. I gave up all alcohol, and don't miss it one bit. I'm now the designated driver and have had clients thank me for not drinking. They appreciate the fact that at least one of the pilots has not been imbibing. Besides, with the costs these days, I don't think I could afford it.........

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10912 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I have to force myself to drink booze these days. I’m very social and go out a ton but I never drink anymore. It’s just not worth it. If someone told me that I could never drink again it wouldn’t affect me at all.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Drank socially in my 20's then as I got older NONE of it tasted good anymore. Always drank Gin & tonic, or other mixed drinks. NEVER cared for any beer, they all tasted the same to me....bitter. Wine the same thing, just couldn't enjoy any of it.

Reached the point 20 yrs back where even one mixed drink and I felt lousy the next day...so simply stopped drinking.

Don't miss it at all.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not tired of it, I'm just getting older. The liver doesn't process alcohol like it used to. I still enjoy a drink but a lot fewer of them these days. I'm good for about three drinks and then have to call it quits. No more dancing on the end table wearing the lamp shade for a hatBig Grin

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
I have to force myself to drink booze these days.

Cannot imagine why one would do that. If you don't like it, don't want it, don't drink it.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I haven’t lost the taste for alcohol but I lost my tolerance for hangovers 15 years ago. Haven’t had a drop since. Instead of buying booze, I buy gun stuff and video games and I don’t have to call in sick after using them.

Posts: 506 | Location: Salt Flats | Registered: April 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:

Sounds like someone is feeling guilty about something?
No guilt, unless you are projecting some for some reason. Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Baron Flynt:
I lost my tolerance for hangovers
Maybe that's it, subconsciously.

quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
No more dancing on the end table wearing the lamp shade for a hat Big Grin
You sound like some of my old Navy friends! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Yes. I no longer desire alcohol of any kind, except for maybe 2 or 3 occasions a year, and that's only for 1 drink, never more then one.

I just gradually lost the desire to have a drink.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one.

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
One is too many, a thousand not enough.
9 years on the wagon.
As I got older the idea of jail or not able to make important decisions (have my wits about me) just isn't worth a buzz.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
I have tapered off greatly since my late 20’s. Now in my 40’s With young kids in the home I cannot imgine getting tanked around them (bad role model) nor having to watch them hungover (slice of hell I’m sure Eek).

I buy 2 six packs of microbrew evry 3-4 months and when it comes time to buy my next batch I still have a few surviving bottles. My drinking of hard liquor pretty much matches my beer consumption. I guess you could say that I have to a moderate extent lost the taste for alcohol.

Posts: 3162 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post