SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Alcohol - anyone else here just lose the taste for it?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alcohol - anyone else here just lose the taste for it? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I don't drink anymore; I carry 24/7, 7 days a week...

What does that have to do with it?

NOT a thing.

I agree. I've got a CBR 1000 that always seems like a good idea to at least fire up (but not drive) after a couple of cocktails. WTF could go wrong with me pulling out my CBR or P226 Roll Eyes

Posts: 7687 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
"Family curse" it was called by a cousin on my dad's side. Both sides of my family had the problem, my mother decided early in her life that she was not going to fall into that trap, my dad,well another story.

I did the moderation thing early on mindful of the family propensity. As I aged more the desire waned. Now with the high Triglyceride issue together with the dosage of Lipitor daily this has made me reduce my alcohol intake greatly, this has been going on since 1991.

Occasionally I will meet a ex co-worker friend for one or two, in town close to home. My limit is two, come hell or high water.

Several years back one of the daughters and her husband moved to one of the Pointes, about 60 miles one way from here. She invited us over for dinner on NYE one year.

S-I-L's father kept insisting I have a drink with him. I politely declined. This kept on, after about the third "no" from me he said "What's the matter, I'm not good enough to drink with?"

Well, first of all, I'm carrying, 60 miles of expressway driving one way, more than enough drunks out already there and trying to goad me into drinking is starting to irritate me. Indicated that I was carrying and that was the end of it.

No more was I asked that evening. In fact he never brings up that subject if I have any interaction with him now. Think he got the hint?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
S-I-L's father kept insisting I have a drink with him. I politely declined. This kept on, after about the third "no" from me he said "What's the matter, I'm not good enough to drink with?"
You could have told him, "I have a medical condition. You make me sick." Razz

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31453 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

NOT a thing.

You get in a shoot, I'll bet it does have something to do with it regardless of how much you've had.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15834 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I still enjoy it, especially a really good bourbon or scotch, but I can go months without even thinking of having one.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've gotten to the point that I can have a few drinks OR a good night's sleep. Most nights I choose the sleep.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

NOT a thing.

You get in a shoot, I'll bet it does have something to do with it regardless of how much you've had.

Still confused. Confused

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm a retired professional drinker (I paid rent for my bar stool by the glass). Soon as I walk in, the bartender would be mixing my regular drink.

But I quit drinking for the buzz.

I have picked up again once I got drinking really good drinks like single malt whiskey straight. My wife's not a drinker and I don't hang out with friends just to drink so I drink by myself. And I still don't drink regularly.

I like how the taste changes over the period of time since I've opened a bottle. I keep the bottles in a dark place. I like the idea someone went through the though process of how much to put in casks 10, 12, or 18 years ago to produce this bottle I am now drinking.

So maybe treat yourself to an expensive bottle to taste and see if it takes you to a different experience.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20081 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
“Still confused.”

My point is if you’ve been drinking and shoot someone, it will come back around and cause problems. Especially if you happen to have a badge.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15834 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
You could have told him, "I have a medical condition. You make me sick." Razz

Yeah, knowing him he would give me health tips and or make it a personal mission to be my friend. I'll pass thank you......... Wink

I've made points with the many of the daughter's in-laws. Her aunt-in-law, well I thought I was going to induce a stroke in her.

Daughter asked me to change the locks on said house on moving day. So dutifully I loaded my tools and trekked to the other side of the world a.k.a. I-94, Vernier and Mack. So as I bent over to set my toolbox down, my t-shirt moves up revealing my now unconcealed pistol. Aunt-in-law now exclaims in rapid fire (!) "You've got a gun!" three times.

At this point I turned to her and said "I have a permit, would you like to see it?" Quickly she leaves the room saying something about why would I need to carry one. I ignored her and went on with what I set out to do, replace door locks and add a deadbolt.

Scratch another potential friend off the list.......

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Alcohol - anyone else here just lose the taste for it?

Yes, instantly, when I was about 10. Big Grin

Dad used to have friends over playing cards and drinking some booze. When they took breaks, brothers and I sneaked in and sipped some. Man, what disgusting taste. And, as adult, I have tried again. No go. I seriously never understood since, why folks drink.

Q

Posts: 27629 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I enjoy wine each evening before and with dinner; usually 3-4 drinks. I don’t get drunk as those days ended very long ago. I carry all of the time so when I go out somewhere I do not drink alcohol. I only drink alcohol at home with no plans on leaving.

I am now going to stop drinking but only because of the diet plan I am going on since I need to lose some weight.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8758 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never had the taste for it.

Don't really understand those that do although I never mind others drinking in moderation.

Posts: 995 | Location: Windermere, Florida | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I decided to give alcohol up altogether in June 2017. Here I am 13 months later and haven’t ever felt better. And yes, I was drinking too much before.

I didn’t like how I felt while drinking and that’s what led me to try the sober lifestyle. I find it much more enjoyable.

Posts: 5085 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
Never acquired a taste for alcohol.

Posts: 1663 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
My body doesn't process alcohol as it used to, I haven't had a beer in 2 or 3 months, still have bottles of beer either in the fridge, or on the shelf since last Christmas. Probably a good thing as I need to lose some weight.

If I do drink, I stay at home. Not worth it

Posts: 7451 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I was probably an alcoholic in my younger years. If I drank less than a 12 pack a day, there was something wrong. But sometime over the years I eased off.

I'm 51 now, and just don't care for it anymore. Hank Williams Jr. was right. The hangovers hurt more than they used to.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3637 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I love beer and brew it myself but with 2 kids, I rarely have to time to actually enjoy it. Same goes for wine and whiskey.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7161 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
When I was young, I drank a lot, (probably normal for someone that age). About 3 years ago I lost my taste for alcohol. Maybe Thanksgiving, Christmas or if my sons finds one brand of Stout I like, but for the most part I don't consider myself a drinker anymore.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4035 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my college days we use to rodeo a little and drink a lot. Then in the military there was always drinking. I slowed down some when I got home but slowed way down when my daughter was born.

The last couple of years I'd buy a bottle of Crown it would last all year. The first of this year I did not buy anything.... have not had a drink....do not miss it...do not want it. So I yes I guess my taste have changed.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 733 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post