SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    London killing rate overtakes New York's for the First Time
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

London killing rate overtakes New York's for the First Time Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Well.....you see terror attacks are just part and parcel of living in a big city.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21116 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Yup, the knife thing IS real. But so is the fact that over 90% of the stabbing deaths are black on black over 'turf' or 'respec''.

Doesn't answer the problem, of course, but I'd hate for you to get the idea that the people of London are all running around stabbing each other 24/7.

tac

Posts: 11332 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I don’t see it mentioned in the article, but one serious proposal from a few years ago that was reportedly made by a British physicians’ group was to ban knives with points: Yes, they pointed out (NPI) that pointed knives make it possible to inflict more serious, life-threatening injuries as compared with just cutting, especially with knives of the kitchen cutlery variety.

I believe that’s an excellent idea—for them, anyway, because it’s just one more logical step in the process of their self-emasculation and reducing the danger they pose to the rest of us. We wouldn’t have to worry about redcoats armed with stilettos burning the White House this time.
I'd like to see someone filet a fish with knife with no point. For that matter I'd also like to see a surgeon operate with a pointless scalpel.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Yup, the knife thing IS real. But so is the fact that over 90% of the stabbing deaths are black on black over 'turf' or 'respec''.

Doesn't answer the problem, of course, but I'd hate for you to get the idea that the people of London are all running around stabbing each other 24/7.

tac

Aaahhh, so pretty much like Chicago, just with a polite accent.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8351 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Big Grin

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38690 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ah, yes: The ever-present elephant in the room that was obvious as soon as I opened the link.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
good for them

they are getting absolutely everything they deserve, and then some

they must be so happy, so proud

its what they wanted, its what they got

not everyone is that lucky

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53200 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder what the popularity of unarmed martial arts is in the U.K. Krav maga and the like.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2364 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
At one time, the English were big proponents of the walking stick or cane for self defense. And the Irish favored a Shillelagh. You can find some old time tutorials on line for their use.
Maybe its time to revisit days gone by. But that would probably get you tossed in the jug, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16100 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
Knife free zone signs should help.

Posts: 5305 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

Huh. Imagine that.

The problem is the availability of knives, is it? Just guessing.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HERITAGE:
Wow, according to the gun grabbers here in the US, the UK should be a peaceful utopia flowing with milk and honey.

I am increasingly convinced that gun banners are at their core cowards, who can't conceive that evil exists in this world. Rather than deal with that somber reality and obtain the skills and tools necessary to prevail against evil, they hope for everyone to become as pathetically defenseless as themselves.

Eloi.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15898 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sigfreund:

... For that matter I'd also like to see a surgeon operate with a pointless scalpel.

For most surgery, I use either a #10, #11 or #15 blade, that slides onto a scalpel handle. Only the #11 blade has a point. It's usually used to pierce a small area, such as an incision to insert an arthroscope into a joint, or pierce an abscess. #10 and #15 blades are rounded on the end, and have no point. The edge is used to make an incision (to incise). The majority of surgery that I perform uses a #10 blade for longer incisions, or a shorter #15 blade for more controlled shorter dissection. Besides incising with a scalpel blade, one can also sweep tissue, much like using a straight razor. VUMEDI is a web site that shows surgery, and you can also find quite a bit on you-tube. Most of what you will see is surgeons operating with a pointless scalpel.

One point is missing. you don't need a point on a blade to do things. If I can go through a joint by cutting ligaments instead of bone, I can use the same knife without a point to amputate and arm or leg in a fairly short time.

A nation which can prefer disgrace to danger is prepared for a master-and deserves one. Ronald Reagan, 1964, quoted from Alexander Hamilton

Posts: 1684 | Location: Southern Tennessee | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
Once all sharp edges are banned, will frozen legs of lamb or the jawbone of an ass follow?

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
It's tough to be a ninja in the UK....

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37983 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
quote:
...or religious purposes,...

Yes, I carry a pocket knife, religiously.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
I looked into the reports about the "London murder crisis", and frankly it seems to be mostly media sensationalism. They are referring to there being four more homicide cases than in New York in February, and one more in March - after ten less in January, so NYC still leads 50:46 this far into the year.

Even sources like the Guardian who bothered to research annual numbers of the past went "if this keeps up, it will be over 180 murders this year!" Yeah well, welcome to good old 1990 then - the fact is that the yearly average since then has been 171. If anything, numbers in the last ten years have been decidedly below that, with a low point of 83 in 2013; which is probably why people are startled by half of that happening within the first three months of this year now. Meanwhile NYC celebrated a historic low of 290 last year, when London had 130 ... and really, I've never felt unsafe in either city (in Berlin, with 40 percent of the population, there were 40 completed homicides in 2017, so not too far from London's rate).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_London#Murder

Posts: 2419 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Uh huh. Yeah, everything's just peachy in London, just like it is in your country of Germany, huh? Sure, I believe that. No problem here, just made up stuff. Sensationalism and nothing more.
Europe is just fine and is not being overrun by filthy animals that have destroyed the continent.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107632 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
....and two more shootings overnight - a 17 y/o girl shot dead and a 16 y/o 'fighting for his life' in two separate and apparently unconnected incidents involving young black/Asian kids.

Whatever else, the overall figures are actually down on the 2003 spike.

No comfort to the parents of the kids who got shot up, though, for whatever reasons.

From BBC -

Two shootings in London in the space of an hour have left a 17-year-old girl dead and a boy, 16, critically ill.

The teenage girl, named locally as Tanesha Melbourne, was found with a bullet wound in Tottenham on Monday night and pronounced dead at the scene.

Two miles away, in Walthamstow, the boy was found with gunshot wounds, with another boy, 15, who had stab injuries.

Both attacks come amid concerns over rising violent crime in London. Police say the shootings are not linked.

Tanesha, whose name has not been officially confirmed, was pronounced dead at 22:43 BST in Chalgrove Road, near Northumberland Park, Tottenham.

Police remain at the scene.

A friend described her as a "very lovable little girl in the community, she was not involved in any sort of problems with anyone".

'Just started shooting'
A 21-year-old woman who knew Ms Melbourne, told the BBC the victim was "just chilling with her friends" when she was shot from a car for "no reason at all".

"The car just pulled up and just started shooting," she said.

"Her friend came banging on my door so I came out quickly. I even tried to save her - had to, had to."

Image copyrightPA
Image caption
The 17-year-old girl is the ninth teenager to be murdered in London this year
She said the gunshot wound, below the victim's breast, was not immediately visible and it looked like she was "having a fit".

"I put her on her side and I was just rubbing her back, saying 'Everything's going to be OK'. I just can't believe it - so young. It's ridiculous now."

tac

Posts: 11332 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Berlin
Correspondent
Picture of BansheeOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Uh huh. Yeah, everything's just peachy in London, just like it is in your country of Germany, huh? Sure, I believe that. No problem here, just made up stuff. Sensationalism and nothing more.
Europe is just fine and is not being overrun by filthy animals that have destroyed the continent.

"Everything is peachy" would be of course a similarly silly statement to "filthy animals have destroyed Europe". But freaking out because London had slightly more murders than New York in two successive months with a similar-sized population is plain nonsensical. If anything, it shows how safe New York has become if they can compete with 1990 London numbers; the same year, there were an all-time-high 2,445 homicides in NYC, more than eight times last year's number ferchrissakes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...City#Murders_by_year

When I was there four years ago, it felt a lot like Berlin - full of tourists, freaks and people who can't drive worth shit, but not particularly dangerous; and I grew up in a town of 10,000 where the last homicide was in 2010. Same for London the year before. And it's not like I never feel unsafe in any city anyway either; I've also been on a guided urban safari east of Washington Street in Baltimore, and driven on a street posted as a "safe corridor" in Camden, NJ when we missed the direct route to USS New Jersey on the same trip; which had quite the opposite effect for me.

So yeah, I know what a city on the brink of becoming a Third World urban hellhole looks like. Neither New York, London or Berlin are in that class; they're just big cities with standard big city problems, which also tend to concentrate in certain low-income, high-immigration etc. areas. If you're ever in town I'll be glad to be the guide for your own urban safari of the good, the bad and the ugly in Berlin to demonstrate that. No bug repellant required.

Posts: 2419 | Location: Berlin, Germany | Registered: April 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post