SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's your favorite cake?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite cake? Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
What I've asked for since I was about 10 for my birthday is a rich, moist Devil's Food cake iced with whipped cream served with vanilla ice cream; got that from my dad's side of the family. A VERY close second is an Apricot Nectar cake mother used to make. Bringing up the rear is a well-made Carrot Cake. Been a while since I've had the birthday cake (don't really celebrate my birthday) and even longer since I've had mother's apricot cake...probably a couple of decades.

And I'm with Pipe Smoker...I've really lost my sweet tooth, so to have anything like this would be extremely rare.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
German chocolate with carrot a close second.

That cake you posted bald1 is virtually identical to one my wife makes for occasions/events where she has the time and someone wants a really decadent chocolate. The richness and especially the icing can be almost too much. But not quite!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12429 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I'm not a big cake fan, but if forced to choose, it'd be something like a berry chantilly.

I'm more of a fruit pie/cobbler guy. Apple, cherry, blackberry, peach, key lime, etc.

Posts: 32524 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’m not big on cake, but on birthdays it’s pretty much mandatory. Simple angel food cake most often. If not that, then cherry cake or yellow cake with chocolate frosting.

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
German Chocolate.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I’m not big on cake, but on birthdays it’s pretty much mandatory. Simple angel food cake most often. If not that, then cherry cake or yellow cake with chocolate frosting.

I get birthday pie.
Salted caramel, green apple, pecan.
Labor of love, so I only get it once a year Big Grin

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15344 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"soggy chocolate" cake(a WWll recipe) with a white lemon frosting. It was our B'day cake growing up, and still my favorite even though I have not had one in years.

Posts: 6625 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
Not sure I can pick just one... but, one that does always appear near the top is Italian Cream or Coconut Cream.

Posts: 4592 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Spice with homemade caramel frosting.

Posts: 12469 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I'm really enjoying the responses here and find it interesting that some old time members who rarely post have also weighed in. Guess cake is indeed universal Wink Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16231 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Banana Cake with white butter frosting. My Mom made it, and my wife makes it from an old Betty Crocker cookbook from the 60"s.

Lock N Load

Michael
USMC Ret

Posts: 1450 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
Ooooh,banana cake. Forgot about that one. I do like a good carrot cake though.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Carrot Cake from Bakers Square. Haven’t had it in awhile. Weighs about 10 lbs. Most cakes, if they’re moist, I like. Good carrot cake, I love.
That Apple Dapple looks tasty. Real tasty. My Mom made a hickory nut cake, a mayonnaise cake, and an apple spice cake that would make you hold you fork in stabbing mode if someone was going to take too big a piece.
Oh,,, I forgot about her German Chocolate and Pineapple Upside Down Cake. Boy she could cook and bake. I miss her, and the food she made.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Happy birthday cake fantacies bald1.

Growing up my standard was the typical angel
food homemade spec model.

Recent decades a diabetic version of carrot cake
using raisin, walnuts,shredded zuchinni in
a buttermilk sponge has served well. Frozen in 1#
loads, Handy for a little slice it replaces the exposure to
random pastry hell.

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
My favorite, hands down, with no exception is from a small bakery back home that is just shy of world famous.

https://www.boonzaaijerbakery.com/

Their cakes are absolutely amazing!!
https://www.boonzaaijerbakery....cialities/Cakes.aspx

No one has a party in SW Michigan without a Boonzaijer cake... no on.. ut ut... NO ONE!

This….Absolutely, hands down!!! I currently live about a mile and a half from this place and I’m constantly fighting the urge to stop in. Just walking through the door and smelling those cakes is amazing. There is nothing else like it.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 888 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pink champagne

Posts: 4282 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I'm really enjoying the responses here and find it interesting that some old time members who rarely post have also weighed in. Guess cake is indeed universal Wink Big Grin
If you want to get people to talk, ask them their opinion or preferences, or about themselves.

Posts: 107636 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Really like the chocolate cake recipe on the back of a Hershey's cocoa can.

First cake I can remember having for a birthday and still the best.

Posts: 1198 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carvel ice cream cake. I love the black crunchies in it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Spice cake, took page 4 before someone else posted this. Mom's of course, with cream cheese frosting.

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2009 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post