SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's your favorite cake?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your favorite cake? Login/Join 
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Favorite cake---- is the slice on the plate in front of me...... Beggars can not be choesy......... drill sgt.

Posts: 2013 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
Happy Birthday to the OP

meanwhile,

a local grocery chain had a copy of a local dept store cake,

basically a yellow cake with chocolate icing, but called a bar cake ,

about 8 or 9 layers, and retangular like a bar,

fudgy type icing and delicious,

my wife cannot have any, she is Gluten free, or as some say, Celiac, (legit, not fad)

I have learned to make a damn good GF cake and can make a Coconut cake that is better than most none GF cakes, so much so that I have been ordered to make one for several birthdays and events for the family

made the wife a pretty damn good Strawberry cake with Strawberry icing, that ws commadeered by the Sis in law, who is not GF a few weeks ago,

I need to look up the Bourbon cake mentioned, I have learned to make a helluva Bourbon Chocolate Pecan Pie,, but have not heard of a cake,,,,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Today is my wife’s birthday - she loves the blue ice cream cake from Cold Stone.

My fav is angelfood cake with strawberries

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
Today is my wife’s birthday

Extend my warmest birthday wishes to her. A good friend's fiancé also has her birthday today. Nice to share the day Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16231 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Favorite is Carrot cake from Gibson’s steakhouse in Chicago. Multiple layers and about 9-10 inches high. Unbelievably good.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
speaking of cake

there is a hotel in Charleston SC that Southern Living or some such mag said was the best cake every years ago,

not sure if it still is, but last time we were there we had a slice, and it was delicious, (and I don't like Coconut cake,

it was tall, had some flake style coconut on it, but was actually damn good

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Spice cake. My mother first served a spice cake at my fifth birthday. And that has been a favorite for almost 55 years. She was gifted the recipe book for the marriage. I don't remember if the book was Betty Crocker, or Better Homes & Gardens, or Good Housekeeping.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5966 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Red Velvet with a butter cream frosting

Posts: 14658 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Lifelong Favorite: My Mom's lemonade cake. The corner pieces are heavenly as more lemonade soaks into them.

Since Moving to Texas Favorite: Tres Leches. There are several restaurants in the Houston Metropolitan Area with amazing Tres Leches (e.g. Churrascos).

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23286 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pink Champagne cake. A local sweets/cake shop makes it. Damn good. Red Velvet and German Chocolate are right up there as well.

Posts: 4064 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by car541:
a good Tres Leches cake about 20 minutes after it was made.
Yes, tre leches are tricky. Can't eat it too soon. If it sits too long, you're eating cold porridge. Frown

Posts: 2662 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
Lifelong Favorite: My Mom's lemonade cake. The corner pieces are heavenly as more lemonade soaks into them.

Since Moving to Texas Favorite: Tres Leches. There are several restaurants in the Houston Metropolitan Area with amazing Tres Leches (e.g. Churrascos).

Tres leches is probably my #2.
There's a little hole in the wall bakery on Louetta, just east of Stuebner, that has the best TL cake. Place literally just says 'Bakery' on the building.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15344 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I'm with V-Tail on this:

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Posts: 7269 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
Hummingbird Cake is my favorite. Followed closely by German Chocolate and lemon pound cake.

Happy Birthday, OP.

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good old-fashioned home-made with love and care fruit cake. The fruit cake slices we used to get in the early days of Meals Ready to Eat (MRE) wasn't too bad, all things considered.

Posts: 3225 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
My favorite is a carrot cake my mother makes...involves freshly grated carrots and is just sublime. So many delicious cakes listed that I actually want a slice of cake! The lemonade cake sounds amazing!

Posts: 1972 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
My grandmother used to bake a simple layer cake, three layers of a yellow cake, the cake layers separated by thick layers of a sort of fudgy chocolate, which was also applied generously to the top and sides.

Yellow cake with chocolate frosting has been my #1 since I was a little child. My wife has an excellent recipe from scratch, might get a taste perhaps once a year.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
My favorite, hands down, with no exception is from a small bakery back home that is just shy of world famous.

https://www.boonzaaijerbakery.com/

Their cakes are absolutely amazing!!
https://www.boonzaaijerbakery....cialities/Cakes.aspx

No one has a party in SW Michigan without a Boonzaijer cake... no on.. ut ut... NO ONE!

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37983 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
My absolute favorite is old fashioned southern applesauce w/caramel icing. Black walnuts, raisins and the real caramel icing that takes about a half hour of stirring. Pretty much a thing of the past.

Pineapple upside down is a close 2nd along with Red Velvet w/butter cream icing or Carrot w/cream cheese icing.

Can't think of one properly made that I'd turn down.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Favorite is sour cream pound cake. Makes a great breakfast offering when toasted w butter.
MiL makes a killer carrot cake.
Billy

Posts: 268 | Location: SE Georgia | Registered: December 25, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post