SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Democratic Supreme Court Justice Breyer Plans To Retire Before Midterms
Page 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Democratic Supreme Court Justice Breyer Plans To Retire Before Midterms Login/Join 
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
Sinema may still be a wild card. But I wouldn't bet my lunch money on her saving us.
Or that all 50 Republicans will vote no.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Romney and Collins for sure will vote for her, she’s not going to need Kamala.

Posts: 2839 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Manchin is a disappointment to me on this one. It’s not hard to imagine that Jackson will be another “justice” that won’t be adhering to the Constitution.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15791 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Jackson is black. She's a woman. She's a liberal. She WILL get the appointment. Very few Congress critters will have the balls to vote against her, even if they firmly believe she's not right for the job.

Thomas is the only one who gives a crap about the Constitution. Roberts & Kavanaugh are spineless, and I don't think Barrett's been on there long enough to tell her leanings as far as the Constitution.

The rest of them are hell bent on destroying the Constitution, and seem like they consult with Obama before making any decisions.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
And if she is confirmed, the Republicans can plaster her inability to define what a woman is on campaign ads for the next couple election cycles, along with the swimmer.

The "Republican War on Women" never existed, but the Democrats are engaging in one now. I think a lot of women, especially suburban moms are going to start thinking twice about supporting a party that lets men compete with women in sports, refuses to acknowledge well understood biological science, forces children to wear masks, lets teacher's unions control schools, and indoctrinates children into CRT/LBGTQ+whatever.

Posts: 4920 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
The left has no jurisprudence. Their approach to the law is completely agenda driven. So, it doesn't matter who sits in that seat. Jackson, my neighbor, or Whoopi Goldberg. Every opinion and vote are going to be exactly the same.

Posts: 7650 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44466 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Posts: 28650 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
The left has no jurisprudence. Their approach to the law is completely agenda driven. So, it doesn't matter who sits in that seat. Jackson, my neighbor, or Whoopi Goldberg. Every opinion and vote are going to be exactly the same.

Sadly... I agree.
I can't get too worked up about the political theater because we already know it's meaningless.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24585 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Sadly... I agree.
I can't get too worked up about the political theater because we already know it's meaningless.
DING! DING! DING! WINNER!!

This right here!! That's why I don't get torqued out about today's politics because, according to Stephen Covey, that shit is waaaaaaaaay beyond my "Circle of Influence". There ain't a got damp thing I can do to change it and there's no sense in trying...causes the beating of head against brick wall. It's all Kabuki Theater. I've been trying to enlighten mother with this approach for YEARS, yet she still clings to Fox News like the Libtards and Demoshits will all of a sudden have an epiphany and right the wrongs. Not. Gonna. Happen.

"Happiness is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it".

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Left-Handed,
NOT Left-Winged!
posted Hide Post
^^ I know a lot of people with a similar attitude. Some people I know tune out and ignore most of it, preferring to focus on entertainment instead. Sure they vote every few years, but that's about it. They are more interested in who won American Idol when that was the thing to watch.

But while they weren't paying attention, their local school boards got overrun with far left loonies, their district attorney's offices got overrun with social justice activists that won't prosecute criminals, their mayors and city governments voted to defund the police, their children's athletic programs started allowing boys dressing up as girls to compete against girls, their employers forced them to attend CRT training, and what have you.

This is what happens when you let the side that never stops pushing their communist agenda take the advantage. It took a pandemic and widespread school at home for people to realize what their kids were being taught. It took widespread riots, lawlessness, and massive increases in violent crime for them to realize what happened to their local governments. It took Biden's election through admitted media/tech/business collusion to control the narrative and "get out the vote", and the real time dumpster fire we are all watching right now to get them to realize that mean tweets weren't so bad after all.

And when we get these clowns out of office, repairing the damage they have done will take decades. We've been through this before - the liberalization of the late 60's, disaster of the 70's, crime surge of the 80's and eventual stabilization as the 90's progressed and into the 2000's. And then what happens? They DO IT AGAIN! Undo everything that fixed the problems through the irrational juxtaposition of cause and effect, let it all go to shit, and then we have to clean it up again.

But I get it - I have a demanding job, I'm a 1/2 time single parent to my son, and I used to travel often for my job before COVID. During my heaviest travel 2011-2015 I liked disconnecting from the Obummer mess at home for weeks at a time.

I don't have tons of time to go to protests, or counterprotests, or politically rallies, or school board meetings, or what have you. Where all the far left activists get the time and money to engage in their silliness is beyond me. But someone they do have the time and the funding, and unless they are stopped, we will continue to slouch toward communism until we are basically the same as China.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4920 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
It's essentially over...

Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) has become the first Republican to cross party lines in support of Biden Supreme Court nominee, Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson.

In a statement to the New York Times, Collins said she made the decision after two personal meetings with Jackson - the second on Tuesday afternoon, which the Senator said 'alleviated' some concerns over a host of divisive issues including Jackson's record of handing down light sentences to pedophiles.

"I have decided to support the confirmation of Judge Jackson to be a member of the Supreme Court," said Collins.

"In recent years, senators on both sides of the aisle have gotten away from what I perceive to be the appropriate process for evaluating judicial nominees," she added. "In my view, the role under the Constitution assigned to the Senate is to look at the credentials, experience and qualifications of the nominee. It is not to assess whether a nominee reflects the individual ideology of a senator or would vote exactly as an individual senator would want."

Her decision will allow Mr. Biden and Senate Democrats to claim some degree of bipartisanship around the historic nomination, though whether other Republicans will join Ms. Collins remains unclear.

If Democrats stay united, it would also avoid the spectacle of Vice President Kamala Harris having to break a tie to seat a nominee on the Supreme Court, an unprecedented outcome that some saw as potentially damaging to the court’s standing. -NYT

https://www.zerohedge.com/poli...ackson-supreme-court

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."

-rduckwor

Posts: 24585 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
"In recent years, senators on both sides of the aisle have gotten away from what I perceive to be the appropriate process for evaluating judicial nominees," she added. "In my view, the role under the Constitution assigned to the Senate is to look at the credentials, experience and qualifications of the nominee. It is not to assess whether a nominee reflects the individual ideology of a senator or would vote exactly as an individual senator would want."

Hey, Senator Collins, if you could convince your colleagues across the aisle to honor such ethics, instead of virtuously yielding the battlefield to the enemy, we'd be more impressed.

Posts: 16171 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's essentially over...

Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME) has become the first Republican to cross party lines in support of Biden Supreme Court nominee, Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson.

In a statement to the New York Times, Collins said she made the decision after two personal meetings with Jackson - the second on Tuesday afternoon, which the Senator said 'alleviated' some concerns over a host of divisive issues including Jackson's record of handing down light sentences to pedophiles.

"I have decided to support the confirmation of Judge Jackson to be a member of the Supreme Court," said Collins.

Her decision will allow Mr. Biden and Senate Democrats to claim some degree of bipartisanship around the historic nomination, though whether other Republicans will join Ms. Collins remains unclear.

If Democrats stay united, it would also avoid the spectacle of Vice President Kamala Harris having to break a tie to seat a nominee on the Supreme Court, an unprecedented outcome that some saw as potentially damaging to the court’s standing. -NYT

I'd agree with Senator Collins, but only if both sides would play by that rule. Until that happens, it will and should be a partisan brawl.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53242 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
The only (partially) saving grace is that she would be replacing another Liberal-minded Justice.

flashguy

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Senator Collins knows how lopsided this "both sides" talk is. She also knows that no one is planning to play by that rule for years to come. she saw what the last confirmations looked like...on the surface these are vacuous statements. just below the surface, they are statements in bad faith.

Posts: 779 | Location: FL | Registered: November 17, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Collins is writing a book of complete failure as a politician. This is simply another chapter in that book. The woman is an utter disgrace and so devoid of IQ, she might as well be a Dem.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post

-rduckwor

Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Remember at one time Maine was part of Massachusetts, I guess the insanity infection stayed.

Posts: 2839 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
Remember at one time Maine was part of Massachusetts, I guess the insanity infection stayed.
I suspect the Maineites (Mainians, Mainers?) would say they'd been invaded from the south.

flashguy