SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you had to live in a car over an extended period of time, which items would make you more comfortable?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had to live in a car over an extended period of time, which items would make you more comfortable? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Sorry I haven't read the whole thread...

How about a pad, down filled sleeping bag, and a two person dome tent? They break down quick, stay small.

Camping cookware and plates would seem like a good idea?

Camping stove seems like a good idea? (I'm talking small here, one pot stove)

I can have them shipped one or two day (Amazon Prime) if it seems like a good idea. I just need an address to ship to.

Posts: 7549 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Once the vehicle has been selected, I would recommend some rain guards for the windows. That way air can still move around but it will keep water out.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
AAA membership. When it's all you have, getting it towed to a safe spot could be a big deal. A jump start or gas if you run out could really help.

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
AAA membership. When it's all you have, getting it towed to a safe spot could be a big deal. A jump start or gas if you run out could really help.
Very good idea, but check insurance first. My agent hooked me up with a roadside assistance add-on for my vehicle insurance that has much better benefits than AAA, at a much lower cost.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Have we considered the option of him NOT living in his car any further? How about a used camper, even a pop up, and a vehicle which can pull it? I have zero idea of how much funds have been raised, and it isn't my business. But something where a man could warm a bowl of soup and cook a grilled cheese, then stretch out on a bed, seems a vast improvement over even a van.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
What about government programs to help if Davids situation is sleeping in a car, then are there any other options that might help him obtain some kind of housing, food stamps, medical care through the state?

We always talk here about obama phones, government subsidized housing, WIC, if you need
it that's what it's there for, then use it, not a dang thing wrong with someone who's paid
taxes for years being the recipient of some short term assistance.

Heck it's in the low 50's here I can't imagine living in a car with no heat in the temps that NKY and CVG can hit in the winter...

BTW it's been a while, I've been in that flea market, probably 15 years ago..

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 226Reasons
posted Hide Post
As said before a solar panel on the roof as well as 2-3 extra batteries on a switch(so you can put them back on to charge, but take them off the circuit to run electronics, a small space heater, and not kill the starting battery).

Posts: 1327 | Location: TN | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post