SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you had to live in a car over an extended period of time, which items would make you more comfortable?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had to live in a car over an extended period of time, which items would make you more comfortable? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
If you had a van- a place where you could stretch out- a really good mattress pad, a couple of good quality pillows. An LED lantern. What else?

If you were living in a vehicle indefinitely, what would make you feel more at home?

Posts: 107579 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
A portable radio. Perhaps a solar panel charger.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
It can get cold in the Cincinnati area. How about a decent sleeping bag?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30664 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Windowshades

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gascan
posted Hide Post
A 12V portable fridge/freezer (made by ARB OR Dometic, among others).

Posts: 135 | Location: Sunny St. Pete | Registered: March 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
When I first moved to Colorado, I knew no one, had a broad plan, and ended up living in my car for about 6 months, through winter.

Something I wish I had then was a small source of heat.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
If it were a van, an extra battery and a solar panel on the roof to recharge the batteries. A Coleman stove, maybe a 12 volt cooler that could run off the batteries and allow you to have some food for a few days instead of having to get fresh food from a supermarket every day. A small propane heater for cold nights to turn on for a while, but one that also has a carbon monoxide detector so you don't kill yourself.

Last summer I watched a lot of youtube videos of people that live year round in vans and cars. A lot of good ideas there.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I know a passenger van can fit a full sized bed behind the first back passenger bench. Granddad did that on our CA trip.

To the question, there will be a need for privacy such as solar shades.

There will also be a need for power that isn't necessarily provided bu running the vehicle. Perhaps solar or a drop cord to the nearby market?

I would suggest a heated mattress pad and leaving the windows partially cracked to allow the moisture from breathing to eacape. A small fan to exhaust or intake air will also help.

Perhaps a Fire tablet to connect to the world and potentially stream entertainment. Given the budget I saw, maybe someone has credentials that could be shared or added to cheaply.

I can offer up a web based email account if needed.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Clean safe heat, light and privacy.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything mentioned so far and some kind of rain gear in case you need to get out in bad weather and a flashlight.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
How about a good laptop computer if he doesn't already have one? (I can help out there.)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16349 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
Cheap heat that will be too much for the space:
3# metal coffee can

1# metal coffee can

Place 1# inside 3# with a buffer of sand on all sides and bottom

Insert 1 roll of toilet paper (cheap single ply is just fine)

Add 1 bottle of rubbing alcohol to tp in can

Wait 30 seconds and ignite. Will burn for hours. No fumes. Little if any ash.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
Windowshades

When traveling alone I normally just pull into a rest stop, these make a huge difference.

I think I got my set from amazon, they stick to the window.

These and a woobie are always in my truck. A pillow helps as well.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Mr. Heater Little Buddy Portable Heater and some big sheets of reflective insulation for the headliner.

Refill adapter to refill those one lb canisters from a 20lb tank, and a 20lb tank that can be chained down at my campground. A pair of needlenose pliers to work the release valve on the 1lb canisters.

21 watt solar charger and battery bank to keep my cell phone charged.

Thermos to keep some hot water around.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Privacy. Windowshades.

Indeed.

That hadn't occurred to me but it would if I spent a night in a car, wouldn't it?

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107579 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wreckdiverjosh
posted Hide Post
Some kind of rig to make a hot/warm water shower...

Change of Plans...

Posts: 268 | Location: Virginia | Registered: March 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
camp stove

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
In no particular order, after the vehicle has been selected:

- Gym membership, or a local community college. Either means you can use the facilities - showers. National Parks another option, but no overnight parking. Caravan parks for a few nights.
- Safe parking. Walmart might be okay; hospitals, hotel parking lot along the interstate, truck stops., a retail store.
- Car sunshade, front windshield.
- Valuables? Bank security box.
- ID, drivers license, car and insurance documents on your person, at all times.
- Secure the car, steering column lock.
- Private mailbox.
- pay as you go cellphone, calls/text only.
- public libraries have free internet and computers/printers
- maps, maps, maps
- battery powered small radio
- toilet paper cheap
- towel, small hand towel, beach towel
- Snow shovel for some
- Blankets, pillow, mattress-12v inflatable
- rain jacker, good boots, socks, layering
- Two coolers; one small one medium
- Porta potty? Not cheap are they
- Backup battery/jumper, air compressor
- Butane cooktop
- Ziplock bags to store bathroom, hygiene and other items
- plastic bag for the used clothing, ready for coin-op wash day. Keep the used separate from the unused
- flashlight
- protein, energy bars, tuna and crackers, bottled water, powdered milk, ziplock bags.
- first aid kit
- No illegal activity, Got a habit? Kick it.
- personal protection. State and federal laws.

In Seattle, the number of invisible homeless in old, rusted, creaky RV's are on the rise. Most of the cities enforcement will give you a pass to park on the street.

Others will have more to list.

--chris

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Insulated van walls, window shades yes. I would avoid a heater inside, good chance of CO poisoning. I have traveled to Baha, Mexico, many times van camping, plus to Alaska, etc.

If you have to sleep in a town and do not want to be rousted by police, best to have a spot on the floor that can be covered over.

Also a vent in the ceiling is excellent, so the vehicle does not smell like a bedroom. Keep the vent partially open at almost all times.

A gun, definitely. Back when I was 27 y.o., I had moved 100 miles away without a new place lined up. Lived in my van for 2 weeks. Once parked in a quiet area in Oakland, CA. Woke up with two guys in tee shirts saying "We is da police, we need to see your ID". One was rapping on the windshield with a pipe. They wanted me out of the van to question me. I said okay, to buy some time.

I could see them through the one way side windows, and they both had large kitchen knives ready to slice and dice. I was able to quickly start the car and drive away. Surprisingly, they followed me! I got a security guard to pull his car over, and then the "police" took off.

So a little protection is good.

For cooking, I just cooked outside which kept the van much cleaner. An electric cooler is very handy, but should have it's own battery with a "battery combiner" used to connect the two when driving. Solar panels would be very helpful.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
A long time ago, I was forced by circumstance to live in my van. What I would have appreciated most were a comfortable bed pad and a warm sleeping bag/bedding. Followed by a decent camp stove and liquid storage.

Posts: 4018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post