SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    If you had to live in a car over an extended period of time, which items would make you more comfortable?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

If you had to live in a car over an extended period of time, which items would make you more comfortable? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I got sucked into van conversion videos on youtube awhile ago. No reason why it can't have pretty much everything an RV has, just closer together.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
carbon monoxide detector of some type? I'm getting concerned about the various heaters suggested and/or idling in a place that traps fumes.

Posts: 11387 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would build a lengthwise bed along the driver's side, near the rear. Have it not be full width, so you can sleep on the floor if you need to be discreet. Storage under the bed, a quality 4" foam mattress on top, some vent holes in the wood so the mattress can dry out. A bolt down steel lock box for wallet, ammo, etc.

If you do not have a CCW permit, you might be best off with a shotgun or perhaps an SKS. Something that is legal, preferably that can shoot through the walls of the van.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Privacy. Windowshades.

Indeed.

That hadn't occurred to me but it would if I spent a night in a car, wouldn't it?

Would probably occur to your neighbors about the same time. Lol.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, a gym membership would be #1 on the list, unless you want to look and smell like the bums on the street.

If parking in town, curtains are a dead giveaway that someone is sleeping in the van, and the police may investigate. Only use those at a campground.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
12V electric blanket and deep cycle batteries to power them.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mark1Mod0Squid
Picture of Sigolicious
posted Hide Post
How about a membership at a local YMCA/Gym/club or some such for taking showers and cleaning up? Planet fitness starts at $10 for one month and they have decent shower facilities.

Posts: 2027 | Location: AZ | Registered: May 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Privacy. Windowshades.

Indeed.

That hadn't occurred to me but it would if I spent a night in a car, wouldn't it?

I often drive past the outer parking lot of the local Walmart where a lot of homeless/vehicle campers reside. The one common theme that stands out is privacy. Blankets, dark tint, sun shades. They all try very hard to retain privacy.

After that, aside from food and water, which you need anywhere you go, for me would be a source of warmth, self defense, and some kind of phone/data service and smart device.

Before I get yelled at for extravagance, please keep in mind my area is going through a terrible housing crisis. Under 1% rentals and new homes starting at almost 1/2 million. So a smart device/data charge is not even in ballpark.

And a terrible part of being homeless is the isolation.. Inexpensive devices and plans can help with that short term. I've seen homeless folks first hand get as much relief with a little music or internet as they would with booze and drugs.

I have a modest home to go to every night that I'm thankful for. I'm just talking of what I have seen. No first hand experience. Hope I'm not over stepping.

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Strambo:
I got sucked into van conversion videos on youtube awhile ago. No reason why it can't have pretty much everything an RV has, just closer together.

Same here, as well as the somewhat silly expedition stuff...

On a serious note, a small portable toilet can even be found at places like Wal-Mart.

If David is able to take the job offer from Mr. Dunbar, then hopefully he can perhaps use some of the resources to install the solar panel and battery system some of the folks mentioned. It doesn't have to be complicated or overly costly, rather installed correctly is more important.

Additionally, a "Mr. Buddy" ceramic heater is a fairly safe propane fueled heat source. Cracking a window is always a good idea.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
1000 watt Honda generator.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16699 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
An Instant Pot. Easy one-pot meals.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16354 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
A portable oven that can be plugged into the car outlet.

https://www.amazon.com/HotLogi...&keywords=car+cooker

https://www.amazon.com/BESTEK-...EFYVKH4A80K8HVH0PKG6

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
This is going to sound stupid but what about a retired ambulance? Privacy, storage cabinets,insulation. Crew bench could serve as a bed. Some have provision for plugging into 110v and dedicated interior circuits for that. Dual 12v batteries with a selector switch. And headroom, at least you can stand up in many of them. Definitely room to stretch out. Probably have room at the rear of the box for a small propane heater also, cut into the rear for the vent?

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8104 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Forget about the window shades, get privacy window treatments. They stick to the glass from the inside. You can get mirrored, or frosted for the back. Way cheaper too.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
Not stupid at all, friend Smile

Lots of campers have been made from ambulances.

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wool socks and underwear.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of security, can anybody think of a way to lock the doors from the inside, more sturdy that regular door locks?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
If you don't have a phone or tablet, a camera. Not a necessity but if you need one, nothing else will do.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8346 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
A jet boil for water. Can't cook food in it directly, but hot water is awesome to have. Nalgene bottles for water storage.

An old camping trick...right before bed, boil water and put it in a nalgene bottle. Put it in the bottom of your sleeping bag. It will stay warm all night and keep your feet from getting cold.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
For coffee a coffee press would work, boil the water at a gas station in the microwave. Then you can make a good cup of coffee. Seems like a phone would be needed in case of an emergency. And a van would definitely be more comfortable than a car.

Posts: 1559 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post