SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Street robberies and you
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Street robberies and you Login/Join 
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If you need to shoot someone in self defense, you use you're $2,500 custom 1911, and it gets the job done, consider it money well spent, even if you never see it again.

Then again, a $4-500 gun may get the job done just as well.

quote:
Originally posted by h2oys:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
quote:
Great article and thanks for sharing.

One of his comments hit me, and I am curious, if this is really true?:

"...Expect to never get your gun back. You may get it back one day but maybe not. Do not buy expensive guns for the street. Buy yourself a nice sporting gun if you want a nice gun. Keep your street guns basic. The factory Model 10 Smith and the GI 45 have done a lot of work over the years and aren’t fancy..."

In some, maybe a lot of cases, yes. You may eventually get it back, but it will have spent years in an evidence locker after possibly getting blood/sweat/moisture on it.

I’ve known officers involved in shootings to not get their guns back for 3+ years.

Yikes. I guess I should not carry my prized Ed Brown for which I had to save up for many years. But then by the same token, the chance I am ever involved in shoot are pretty low.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I searched for the FBI book, and found their webpage with the information: https://ucr.fbi.gov/leoka/2016

It is a very sobering read. Two trends I notice are not taking advantage of time and distance. A shot LEO often pulled up too close behind a pulled over vehicle, and the perp shot the officer while he was still in his patrol car. Also an officer may be questioning a suspicious person, that he has already radioed in on. The perp shoots the officer, and two minutes later his backup arrives. Why not back off 50 feet or so until you have help, what is the hurry?

I also notice that the offender who killed or shot officers usually has a long rap sheet. For why he was not sent to prison for a long time I would typically blame some of our super liberal, head in the sand, governments who create a revolving door justice system.

Good luck to all of you who carry a badge. Don't be too trusting.

-c1steve

Posts: 4053 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Can someone clarify what "fan your shirt" means?

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
Can someone clarify what "fan your shirt" means?

Brush your shirt back to enable a faster draw. Exposes your firearm.

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yikes. I guess I should not carry my prized Ed Brown for which I had to save up for many years. But then by the same token, the chance I am ever involved in shoot are pretty low.

I dunno, I think it makes the most sense to carry the gun you can perform best with. If you are faster or more accurate with that Ed Brown than your other firearms, then that might be the difference that helps you prevail and get home safely. I’d put getting home safely over getting any gun back. YMMV...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post