SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Street robberies and you
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Street robberies and you Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Are there any points made in the article that need pro or con comments?

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
Very well written. Thanks.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also if you can not be trusted with a pistol after a few drinks you can’t be trusted with a pistol period.

Great article, especially about the myth of drinking and guns.

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PeterGV
posted Hide Post
It’s been around awhile, but it’s useful to re-read.

Should be a yearly requirement.

Thanks OP!

Posts: 1318 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: April 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
“That’s close enough motherfuckers!”

Good read, thanks.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Gavin deBecker talks about some of the same thing in “The Gift Of Fear” Mainly the methods of approach and to own and mean “NO”.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good stuff - always worth revisiting.

Beyond the scope of those essays - which are great - two things come to mind.

1. KNOW YOUR STATE and local USE OF FORCE LAWS! Texas isn't NC isn't IL. They can and do vary. Sometimes greatly.

2. Think through the aftermath of a shooting in advance. Be prepared to say 'I will not speak until my attorney is present'.

--------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
Well worth reading. Thanks.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
Outstanding article! Thanks for posting.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cruiser68:
Excellent article! I passed it along to many including my 2 adult daughters.

Yes.
As did I.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43886 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Very educational, thanks for posting this.

Posts: 13681 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
"Everyone should call their local FBI office and get a copy of Law Enforcement Officers Killed and Assaulted. When it first came out it was ground breaking because it demonstrated to academics and other elites what street police knew all along. What did it show in interviews with cop killers? Nice guys finish dead. That’s right. Most of those offenders commented that the Officer they killed set himself up to be killed because of reluctance to use force early in the encounter.

You can probably find it on line now.":

https://www.fbi.gov/news/stori...eoka-report-released

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Tagged for later. Thanks

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7508 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And it reinforces something I used to tell my students:
The worlds best holster is at the end of your arm. Use it early and often.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I wish i was literate enough to have written those pieces. They sum up sucinctly what I have thought for forty years.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the article, passed it along to several friends.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
"Do you have a light?"

Has been the most common tactic to get closer to victims that I encountered in my career.

Never let them get close.
-------------------
I had a guy follow me out of a mexican restaurant while I was with my family. I turned around and when he started to say, "Hey.."

NO is always the answer.

He eventually got mad at me and began saying he was only asking for the time...

NO-don't entertain his questions-he was still trying to get close to me...

Fanned my shirt - he did an about face and left...my family was still getting into the car when I slowed to create a gap for them...when I got into the car and I explained why and what I had done they said they never notice it from that position. And my FIL and MIL said they would heed my advise.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DAMN GOOD article. Thank you.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for posting this. It's easy to be lulled into a false sense of security. I've forwarded this article to several of my friends and family.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post