SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Coca Cola Wants Everybody to ''Try to be Less White'
Page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coca Cola Wants Everybody to ''Try to be Less White' Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
While food shopping with the war department,

If you are referring to your wife as "the war department" you absolutely win the internet for today.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:

If you are referring to your wife as "the war department" you absolutely win the internet for today.

I've been calling my wife that for almost 40 years.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those of you in the military, particularly the Navy, here's what they've got to go through during their "Extreamism Stand Down"

https://www.scribd.com/documen...the-Ranks-Stand-down

Not horrible but, not great and definitely political. All written up and rammed through all the various departments within...what 3-weeks? All because of Jan 6 Roll Eyes

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
God, who writes that vomitus crap?

"We will now transition to questions." Fuck me, the jokes just write themselves.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
For those of you in the military, particularly the Navy, here's what they've got to go through during their "Extreamism Stand Down"

https://www.scribd.com/documen...the-Ranks-Stand-down

Not horrible but, not great and definitely political. All written up and rammed through all the various departments within...what 3-weeks? All because of Jan 6 Roll Eyes

My Guard unit is getting theirs on the 5th. I'll see if I can't get a copy prior to it.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The funny part about all this crap, including the Smithsonian "whiteness" display is that they are not "white" characteristics, they are characteristics of Germanic and thus British culture, and due to our founding some of the USA's culture.

Do business with Germans and Austrians and Swiss and Brits and tell me how it goes. Then do business with Spaniards, Italians, and French and tell me how that goes. Then let's compare that to the middle east, because those people are "white" too - especially the Persians in Iran if you think Arabs are "other" and not white even though we have not defined a separate race for them.

There are huge differences among these difference cultures. Latin America is largely a mix of white Spanish and Portuguese mixed with the natives who are not a defined race because they are not "Native Americans or Eskimos", but Brazil has lots of Italian and Japanese and Argentina has lots of Germans.

Again big differences in attitude, enthusiasm, timeliness, quality of work, planning for future, frugality, you name it.

And even more interesting, many of the "white" characteristics are even stronger in Asia. Japanese, South Korean, and Chinese are different but are even more "white" when it comes to the nuclear family, education, hard work, punctuality, etc. Compare them to Philippines and other Southeast Asian countries. The Chinese are 25% of Malaysia but run everything because the Malaysians can't.

What the woke describe as "white" are simply the characteristics that foster success in work, life, and society. Not because of bias by the majority to favor these things, but because of basic truths of human nature. The most successful and advanced cultures are pretty similar to each other, and the left-behinds are similar to each other as well. If I had to generalize I'd say it's more of a temperate/equatorial thing than a race thing.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I only made it a short way through the Navy "Stand Down" document before I began to involuntarily gag.
"Eliciting thoughtful reflection and discussion"? Right.
No one wanted discussion and reflection when I stood out for 8 hours on the SAC Ramp at 25 below.
And had I voiced my thoughtful reflections on that experience to Command Staff, I would have been a civilian shortly afterward.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16090 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
Gentlefolk, this is nothing new. Back in the mid-1990's I used to TDY in the Navy Yard in DC, and in the cafeteria there was a large sign on the wall by the coffee stand. I misremember the exact wording, but it went along these lines -

'PLEASE do not ask for BLACK coffee as this might cause offense to some staff members' Being a furriner - obviously, since I was dressed up like a Major in the British Army - I politely asked the supervisor, a large black lady, how I should ask for my black coffee. She replied, 'Non-white will do just fine'.

Yeah, right.

Posts: 11322 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:

Coca-Cola doesn't have the conviction or spine to own up to what they did. Too late for them.

You know, I think I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. It could have been an honest mistake and as long as they stay off the woke road I'll give them a chance. If they were true SJWs they would have doubled down on the woke and never looked back.

Sorry, but I do not agree. They got caught letting their mouth overload their backsides and are scrambling to minimize the damage.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
If coke can ask white folk to act less white, they should have no problem telling everyone else to act less black, brown, yellow, beige, or whatever. Seems fair.

I’ll wait...

As long as you do not hold your breath while waiting! Eek

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
quote:

I've been calling my wife that for almost 40 years.

63 years in may here!

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Does this mean we have to drink Vanilla Coke?

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lefty Sig:

Do business with Germans and Austrians and Swiss and Brits and tell me how it goes. Then do business with Spaniards, Italians, and French and tell me how that goes.
I spent a year and a half in Barcelona, leading the U.S. team doing a "transfer of technology" project in an automobile manufacturing plant.

The Spanish leading engineers on the project had a realistic, if cynical, view of their environment. When I remarked on the Spanish company's total disregard for even the most basic terms of the contract, they told me, "You are making the typical mistake of believing that you are dealing with Europeans. Our business culture is unfortunately derived from the Muslims who once occupied much of our country."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
I work hard, follow the rules, save & plan for the future. Because of these things I have a comfortable, successful life. I'm white.

My questions are:

If I had not done these things, would I have as good a life simply because I'm white?

If I were not white would I not have been able to achieve this simply based on who I am otherwise?

Of course these are rhetorical questions. I'm not co-signing for any of this folly.

P.S. Isn't sugar white? I don't drink sugar water.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

Do business with Germans and Austrians and Swiss and Brits and tell me how it goes. Then do business with Spaniards, Italians, and French and tell me how that goes.
I spent a year and a half in Barcelona, leading the U.S. team doing a "transfer of technology" project in an automobile manufacturing plant.

The Spanish leading engineers on the project had a realistic, if cynical, view of their environment. When I remarked on the Spanish company's total disregard for even the most basic terms of the contract, they told me, "You are making the typical mistake of believing that you are dealing with Europeans. Our business culture is unfortunately derived from the Muslims who once occupied much of our country."
I spent almost 2 years in Iran (USAF assignment) when the Shah was still on the throne. To my observations contracts did not have any punitive provisions for failure to achieve because "ensh Allah" ("if Allah wills") was the common excuse. Safety precautions were not very good, either, because Islam is fatalistic--whatever happens is because Allah willed it, and there is nothing one could do to change it. It was a culture shock, for sure.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
The funny part about all this crap, including the Smithsonian "whiteness" display is that they are not "white" characteristics, they are characteristics of Germanic and thus British culture, and due to our founding some of the USA's culture. ...
Good analysis Lefty Sig.

I would add to your list of "white" characteristics:
Self-Reliance and Personal Responsibility.

Suppose Coca-Cola had pre-paid a supplier for plastic bottles / aluminum cans and then was told to "be less white" about adherence to a schedule when they had to halt production for lack of these items.

I'm sure Coke would be very understanding. Roll Eyes

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2084 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I seem to recall a time when Coca-Cola decided that they needed to be more like PepsiCo and created a new Coke.

They should learn from that horrible experience, don't try to be what you aren't.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Does this mean we have to drink Vanilla Coke?

I love vanilla Coke! Smile
Haven't had one in decades. Frown

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
wearing black face to work is probably not going to fit into the companies new philosophy.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
At the bread counter in the supermarket,
how shall I ask for my... opposite of black bread, to be sliced thin?

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post