SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Jury acquits New York man who offered $500 bounty to 'anyone who kills' an ICE agent
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 21

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Jury acquits New York man who offered $500 bounty to 'anyone who kills' an ICE agent Login/Join 
posted
https://www.washingtonexaminer...TpzEfOStYcUA6G0fu9XQ

A federal judge has cleared a New York man who offered a $500 bounty to anyone willing to kill an Immigration and Customs Enforcement officer.

A jury in Boston acquitted Brandon Ziobrowski, 35, of charges that he used interstate and foreign commerce to transmit a threat, according to Fox News. He faced up to five years in prison and a $250,000 fine if convicted.

"It seemed like the right verdict," Ziobrowski said after the ruling Friday. "It's been a horrible year. I'm glad it's over."

U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling, who prosecuted the case, said he respected the jury’s decision but expressed frustration at the outcome of the case.

"We respect the jury’s verdict. But in this case the defendant posted a tweet that, on its face, offered $500 to anyone who killed a federal agent," Lelling said in a statement. "In 2019, over 100 law enforcement officers died in the line of duty. The public needs to know that, regardless of today’s verdict, we will never hesitate to prosecute apparent threats against law enforcement officers."

Ziobrowski posted the bounty offer on Twitter to his account of 400 followers in July 2018.

"I am broke but will scrounge and literally give $500 to anyone who kills an ice agent," Ziobrowski wrote. "@me seriously who else can pledge get in on this let’s make this work."

Posts: 12566 | Registered: January 17, 2011Report This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Manly....................

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4559 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Report This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I'll bet he's really broke now, asshole.

Posts: 9450 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Report This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Maybe someone should offer a bounty on this freaks head and see if he thinks they should be acquitted or even charged since it’s no big deal.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15497 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Report This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
He's probably disappointed in the verdict. He looks like someone that would enjoy prison and the extracurricular activities available there. Eek

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Report This Post
Idiot by birth,
Asshole by choice
posted Hide Post
Folks may not like what he said, but he had the Right to say it.

Seems legit to me.

I don’t like folks trying to take my 2A Rights away.

Posts: 3100 | Location: Georgia... 45 Minutes from everywhere....... | Registered: July 05, 2005Report This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Longbow_06:

Seems legit to me.

What the hell are you talking about? This is not a freedom of speech situation. The difference here is that he made a call to action.

I have every right to say I hate blacks or I hate Jews, but what I don't have a right to say is "go kill that person." That is a call to action and is not protected speech.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30287 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Report This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:

Seems legit to me.

Hahaha, what?

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Report This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
quote:

Seems legit to me.

Get a clue. Yelling "Fire" in a movie theater isn't protected free speech, nor should an advertised bounty on someone's head.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Report This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Actually, I am not so sure you have the right to offer money for the death of someone.
It’s like yelling “fire” in a crowded theatre.

I guess you could argue that one has the rights to say things like that. You may be convicted of threatening an intimidating, solicitation of murder, public endangerment, etc.

Anyways, fuck this guy. What a piece of shit.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Report This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:

Seems legit to me.

What the hell are you talking about? This is not a freedom of speech situation. The difference here is that he made a call to action.

I have every right to say I hate blacks or I hate Jews, but what I don't have a right to say is "go kill that person." That is a call to action and is not protected speech.

And that should have been stressed to the jury by both, the judge and prosecutor.

That asshole would have been found guilty in my neck of the woods for sure.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Has this clown lost his job and seen his social circles abandon him?

Posts: 14558 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Report This Post
Now in Florida
Picture of ChicagoSigMan
posted Hide Post
I imagine the defense was that it was not a serious threat or offer, and the jury went along with that explanation. I didn't follow the trial but i'm guessing there was no additional evidence that this guy tried to follow through or actually had any intention of getting anyone killed.

I don't have a problem believing it either. I'm OK with this outcome. The ordeal of the trial was probably enough punishment for what was in all likelihood just a stupid tweet. Hopefully this guy learned a little lesson.

Posts: 6061 | Location: FL | Registered: March 09, 2009Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I had to blast my monitor with a fire extinguisher after that pic appeared on the screen

Posts: 107244 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:

Seems legit to me.

Pardon me? "What he had to say"?? He solicited the death of a Federal law enforcement officer, and you think he had the right to "say" that, and you equate his criminal solicitation with the Bill of Rights? You are thoroughy confused. Even your confusion is confused. You're confused squared.

So let it be written,
so let it be done...
Picture of Dzozer
posted Hide Post
What an ironic choice of a seat and photo location he made...
Roll Eyes

'Live long and prosper'

Posts: 3909 | Location: The Prairie | Registered: April 28, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
"Posing" on garbage cans seems appropriate

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Seems legit to me.

So, in your view, offering a reward to someone to kill a federal agent is OK.

The jury who found him "innocent" should be deported to some commie country where they have lots of agents that do not have to worry about someone offering such a reward.

And, what does this particular case have to do with 2A issues?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25640 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Has this clown lost his job and seen his social circles abandon him?

Of course not! He's a gay twink from New York. He didn't lose any social currency over this. In fact, he probably met a whole bunch of new, very exciting people to be his friends!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
When he heard that he was going to be probed by the Feds, he squealed with delight and refreshed his makeup.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023