SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anger towards police?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Anger towards police? Login/Join 
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
The Left’s demand for racism in this country far exceeds the supply. The complaisant MSM will turn over every rock to find examples.

Edit: What they perceive as examples.

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Report This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by alingo2001:
Here's an idea. Don't do stupid things that get you involved with the police. This is in reference to the Minneapolis incident. I don't go robbing people or using drugs so at most, I might have a traffic citation.

Come on man, COME ON!

Do you know anything about this case?

George Floyd had not even been charged with anything, he was a suspect...SUSPECT in a forgery case.

Have you watched the video?

Are you aware that there is allegedly body-cam video that shows Mr. Floyd was not resisting, that he he was pulled out of his car and put into that position? Not for suspected murder or rape or robbery, but forgery.

Christ man, I one of the most pro-cop people out there, but this was beyond anything defensible.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
As to the arrest in Minneapolis, I forsee criminal charges for the officer soon, both locally and or Federally.

That certainly seems to be the direction it is heading today.

Serious question for the LEOs: What do you suppose the officer was trying to accomplish by keeping him on the ground for an extended period of time? With 3 others nearby and a crowd gathering, wouldn't the inclination be to scoop him up and put him in the car as quickly as possible?

Yeah, eight minutes with three other officers there. Pin him, cuff him, see if he calms down for a little bit of time. Then stuff him in the car. The neck is off limits. We have head control techniques and other training to pin someone down if need until backup arrives. Never the neck. This cop was a fool. Maybe he was angry and over compensating trying to get control of someone who didn't wan't to be controlled but I suspect this officer has had little training in positional asphyxiation or he believed his heimlich training that says don't technique if the victim is still talking because "if you can talk you can still breath". Either way he should have known better. The other three cops should have said something, done something and stepped in.

As to the Op... If somebody shits their pants we all gotta wear diapers. The people in the profession of law enforcement are all gearing up to repeat the training most of us have already had because of this fool. We are pretty upset at these guys too. If you need to blame everyone in law enforcement for what these fools did then I hope you apply the same logic to Doctors, nurses, and every other damned profession of importance where somebody did something stupid. Good day!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamerx4:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Struggling with your feelings. What does that mean?

Struggling in feelings of mistrust etc. I have never questioned law enforcement.

They do so much good, I know this is not the norm. I am truly surprised at the anger and frustration I am feeling. It is new to me.

First, sounds to me like you're generalizing.
Second, you have never questioned law enforcement? Makes no sense.

Make your judgement / form your opinion on a case by case basis. Don't make blanket statements.

Q

Posts: 26421 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Bottom line is that had people complied as they are supposed to, most of these incidents would never happen.

Exactly.

What transpired before the video no one knows except the people that were there.

But then again, you have these people with............"feelings" .

Posts: 656 | Registered: February 15, 2007Report This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by Dreamerx4:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Struggling with your feelings. What does that mean?

Struggling in feelings of mistrust etc. I have never questioned law enforcement.

They do so much good, I know this is not the norm. I am truly surprised at the anger and frustration I am feeling. It is new to me.

First, sounds to me like you're generalizing.
Second, you have never questioned law enforcement? Makes no sense.

Make your judgement / form your opinion on a case by case basis. Don't make blanket statements.

I guess in the past I have been disappointed, or looked for reasons LE did what they did, figured bad guys deserved it. I know there are bad apples, but I felt, far and few between.

There has been a lot of things recently that have concerned me, much has been listed. It seems like a wave of concern for how police will enforce laws whether they are lawful or not, and with seeing the horrible event yesterday, I wonder how many more happen that we don't see.

As I said, I am struggling myself, inside. I don't like distrust of the whole. I know it is not right, but I am being honest with where I am.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Report This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
With the arrest of a member going to the gym...I am more aware that they will enforce law, as it is handed to them...

Sure, there will be LEOs that will blindly follow tyrants' orders. Maybe because some of them have tyrant blood coursing through their veins.

But, there are LEOs that will say "Fuck this". When the fake "judge" of Harris County Hidalgo declared her order that all county residents must wear a mask while in public or face a fine, the Harris County Sheriff Association and the Houston Police Officers Union essentially told her to shove the mask order up her ass.

Q

Posts: 26421 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Report This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
What is left out of the media coverage is the perspective that is so obvious to logic-minded people: There are several million arrests each year by nearly a million uniformed police officers across the country. When an unlawful act is committed by the officer during an arrest (assuming the Minneapolis incident was unlawful), and the demographics are what the media is looking for, it’s sensationalized. If this were a white man who died during the arrest, and that happens a lot, it would have never made the news. So out of millions of instances where force is used to arrest, the media runs with a handful a year that perpetuate the myth and somehow this is evidence of “systemic racism.” This guy likely should not have died, and the officers likely should have lost their jobs and the “knee-on-the-neck for 8 minutes” officer will likely be charged with manslaughter, but where is the perspective that would prevent riots in the street and such horrible racial division? Oh, I just answered my own question.

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Report This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIP2000GLO:
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
Bottom line is that had people complied as they are supposed to, most of these incidents would never happen.

Exactly.

What transpired before the video no one knows except the people that were there.

But then again, you have these people with............"feelings" .

I had every intention of staying the fuck out of this thread. That cop kept his knee on that guy’s for 8 minutes, and that was AFTER the recording started. He was unconscious for almost 3 1/2 minutes and he kept his fuckin knee on his neck. I’m not sure if the charge should be manslaughter or negligent homicide, but one of those charges should be brought against the cop. The other three are all accessories. Dumb bastards.

Posts: 13276 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
We're not discussing that incident, not in this thread or any other. We're just not getting into it.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107630 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Understood, Boss.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12337 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
As I said, I am struggling myself, inside. I don't like distrust of the whole. I know it is not right, but I am being honest with where I am.

Applying the logic I do, there's no need to distrust the whole, the same as there's no need to trust the whole. I think the majority of the population is made of good people trying to make their way along through life.

I prefer to form opinions based on individuals. Not all used car salesmen are bad, not all lawyers are bad, not all politicians are bad, and not all television reporters bad. At the same time not all of them are good. I believe skepticism is healthy until you know a person well enough to make an informed decision.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15722 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Report This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Police misconduct is inexcusable at any time, but anyone who believes it’s getting worse than it ever has been should look at history. The abuses that police got away with in previous generations were far worse than anything that would be overlooked today. In particular, the actions against the civil rights protestors in the 1960s were so egregious that they led to Federal laws that could be used civilly and criminally against LEOs. There are outrageous examples we can still point to today, of course, such as the efforts by some FBI agents to destroy the electoral process, but the only reason anyone ever objected to its “COINTELPRO” was because it was ultimately directed against civil rights activists. When it targeted the KKK, nothing much was said—then or ever.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Report This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
The police and the state have been given wayyyy to much power over our lives. That in my mind is the problem.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Report This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
There are about 17,000 law enforcement agencies in the U.S. The training officers receive covers a wide spectrum from very little to extremely thorough programs. Most agencies are not as well trained as they think they are. Some are outstanding. Some are dismal. If they are accredited, they are trying to live by higher standards.

There are somewhere around 850,000 officers. Sometimes they make errors in judgment, a few are just bad apples, but the vast majority of officers are dedicated professionals who want to make a positive difference. Nobody despises a bad cop more than the other officers whose trust was betrayed. When you consider the millions of highly charged contacts officers have with the public every day, the level of restraint and professionalism they exhibit is extraordinary. I want an officer who is a fierce warrior when he or his brother and sister officers or innocent persons are threatened, but who is fair with everyone and compassionate with victims. That's a tall order.

Officers are human and subject to human failings. What is different nowadays is the media, and social media, taking incidents of bad policing and amplifying them to the extent that all officers are tarred with that brush. It's nothing new-the print media has been doing it since the first organized police agency-they just didn't have the video. My fellow LE executives and I for years referred to it as "Media Brutality".

The quality of police service delivered is dependent upon recruitment, selection, training, and discipline, both positive and negative. Budgets drive many of those decisions. For communities that underfund their LE agencies, shame on you. If you hire from the bottom of the barrel, what do you think you are going to get? There is one thing of which I am certain: every community gets PRECISELY the quality of police service they deserve.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: HayesGreener,

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
The police and the state have been given wayyyy to much power over our lives. That in my mind is the problem.

We only have the power granted us by the legislative branch and approved by the judiciary, many of whom you had a vote in electing.

Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
Some of you guys blow my mind. You wasn't there and have no LE training. But you know what's best. Roll Eyes

Cops are people just like you. They will make mistakes. They will also be held accountable.

Posts: 7400 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Report This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Some very well reasoned, and valid points offered.

Thank you.

It is good to remember the large numbers, the many agencies, and hearing from LE as well.

There is injustice, and it does appear that it is being handled. Was a very good point on civil rights, and laws that were created as a result.

Thanks.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Report This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Applying the logic I do, there's no need to distrust the whole, the same as there's no need to trust the whole. I think the majority of the population is made of good people trying to make their way along through life.

I prefer to form opinions based on individuals. Not all used car salesmen are bad, not all lawyers are bad, not all politicians are bad, and not all television reporters bad. At the same time not all of them are good. I believe skepticism is healthy until you know a person well enough to make an informed decision.

You’re right of course, but it is fun picking on lawyers. Heck, even some lawyer friends enjoy picking on lawyers. Smile

As to politicians, they may not all be bad, but some days it seems like the 99.999 percent who are are trying to make the 0.001 percent who are not look bad. Eek

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
“The cops don’t need you and man, they expect the same.” Bob Dylan: Just Like Tom Thumb Blues.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Report This Post