SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for recommendations for a calculator
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for recommendations for a calculator Login/Join 
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Sure, but in many areas of use, most computations that are that long DON'T just use order of operations, they have a bunch of parenthesis. With RPN, you don't have to put in any of the parenthesis.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I'll admit, after a 5 minute googling of that polish stuff you're talking about, I was able to figure it out and I think I like it better than the algebraic variety.

Can you tell time on an analog clock and operate a mimmeograph machine?

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
And I'll admit, after a 5 minute googling of that polish stuff you're talking about, I was able to figure it out and I think I like it better than the algebraic variety.

Can you tell time on an analog clock and operate a mimmeograph machine?

All my watches are analog, but I’ve never had occasion to use a true mimeograph.

I do use my fingers when playing Yahtzee, though, as my 8 year old pointed out recently Wink

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
All my watches are analog, but I’ve never had occasion to use a true mimeograph.

I do use my fingers when playing Yahtzee, though, as my 8 year old pointed out recently

^^
Thanks I got a kick out of that remark.

Posts: 17242 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:

For sure. This was actually a topic for an XKCD a while ago.

https://xkcd.com/1205/

Very nice! That graph is worth the price of posting n this thread. Seriously. That's like a rosetta stone for me.

As I said, I do VBA and it has always been a question for me of how much vba work I am willing to put in to shave off time and remove tediousness. I used to think of it in terms of break even period, when will i break even in terms of time saved versus time spent doing the VBA work.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19675 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I'll be damned. You nerds blow my mind about once a quarter, talking about something I've never heard or thought of before.

I find that mildly amusing because I was using an HP pocket calculator back in the early 70s.

It was easier to understand and no one every borrowed it twice

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
The 32S was a gift from my younger brother and he showed me how to use it when I opened it. So I was an RPN convert from day 1.

Looked into repair and one guy used to refurbish them (32S) but doesn't anymore. His old price was more than a 12C - so I'll probably go that route.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
Any recommendations on HP calculator repair that you've successfully used?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmepiphany:
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
I'll be damned. You nerds blow my mind about once a quarter, talking about something I've never heard or thought of before.

I find that mildly amusing because I was using an HP pocket calculator back in the early 70s.

It was easier to understand and no one every borrowed it twice

I genuinely mean the appreciation, obviously the term of endearment thrown in for humor.

I can muddle through a lot of stuff. Mechanics, electrical, farming, medicine, etc. Or at least understand the basics.

But you guys, especially the IT folks, sometimes bring up subjects of which I have absolutely no knowledge, or no working knowledge. I enjoy it.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11449 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Angus the Kid:
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by KenS:
<snip>
I have both an HP35S on my desk and the free42 app on my phone. Both highly recommended.

Ken

For a smartphone calculator I’ve been using PCalc for several years. There’s a free Lite version, but I have the full feature version – a few bucks, well worth it. A plethora of selectable keyboard layouts, from basic to complex. Algebraic or RPN (selectable stack depth). RPN for me. For most keyboards you get additional function keys by rotating the phone to landscape orientation.

Its unit conversion feature “A>B”, is wonderfully extensive and convenient. And many built-in constants – Pi, etc.

Scientific or engineering, and bin, oct or hex integers.

PCalc is actively maintained – additions of new features and occasional bug fixes.

iPhone and (I think) Android.

This. I've had this iPhone app since 2010.

I have only used RPN since 1985! You can even change the layout of the keys. I fashioned mine after my HP41CV (Which I still have and still works).

Here’s an extensive (72 page) manual for PCalc. Most folks won’t need it, but if you want to really dig in…

https://s3.amazonaws.com/tlasystems/PCalc-Manual.pdf

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8969 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Son of a gun! I just found this HP RPN calculator on Amazon. $60. According to one user review, the key feel isn’t great. Hope that’s wrong. The old HP41 had wonderfully good key feel.

HP 35s Scientific Calculator

www.amazon.com/dp/B000TDRHG8/r...VGT48YYMME5N4JZ7QG85

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8969 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Son of a gun! I just found this HP RPN calculator on Amazon. $60. According to one user review, the key feel isn’t great. Hope that’s wrong. The old HP41 had wonderfully good key feel.

HP 35s Scientific Calculator

www.amazon.com/dp/B000TDRHG8/r...VGT48YYMME5N4JZ7QG85

I'm still using my HP 11C from high school...even just for balancing my checking account

$60 was a lot more money back in the early 70s

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14184 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Speaking of calculators , I found my old TI86 in a cabinet out in the garage . I guess it's just a novelty now ?

Posts: 4062 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I started out with an HP25 and went to the 41 and then the 41CV or CX - with the car reader and the small strips for programs

Also had an assortment of memory modules if I recall

fun times Big Grin

And a thermal printer module.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got an HP35S that I bought just for the PE exam. Haven’t used it since. I do use the i48 app on my iPhone on a daily basis. It’s a 48GX emulator that’s decent. There used to be one called m48 that was great, but the app just disappeared from the App Store one day.

I managed to lose my HP 48GX several years ago. I never would have thought that I would ever become attached to a calculator, but here I am, years later, still reminiscing over it.

Posts: 729 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HP has a 12C for both the Apple & Android phones. The cost is $15 for either version.

https://www.apple.com/us/search/hp-12c?src=serp

https://play.google.com/store/...d=com.hp.hp12c&hl=en

For users of HP x8 calculators, this place is a good resource.

https://www.hpcalc.org/

Posts: 589 | Location: Alexandria, LA | Registered: April 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I still recall my first days in college where I was required to acquire a K&E Deci-Lon slide rule for some of my courses. Later that year small battery powered calculators hit the market causing quite a stir. Smile

Having been retired now for the better part of 14 years, my needs are quite simple now. I get by just fine with a Casio fx-115W I've had for something approaching two decades. That said I rarely use the scientific functions.

Ended up with these "slap-sticks" before acquiring a decent calculator. Smile

Way back in the day I had a Texas Instruments TI-58 with a handful of plug in modules.

Were I in the market these days I'd have no clue what to buy or recommend.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16225 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the calculator nostalgia trip you guys are taking me through. In high school in the late 70's, I rocked a Texas Instruments SR-52. It's still my favorite calculator of all time. I loved that thing.
I did have a cheap RPN at one time. The RPN was fun and, as someone previously pointed out, no one ever asked to borrow it twice.

Posts: 632 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
Another vote for HP. Have had & used a 41CX for well over 30 years now - and it has NEVER failed. IF you are willing to gamble you MIGHT be able to find one on one of the online auction sites.

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post