SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for recommendations for a calculator
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for recommendations for a calculator Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
I've always loved my HP 32S, but they don't make it anymore. The RPN, button clicks. The best. It eventually died after being back to HP once.

Then I got an HP 12C and it eventually went tits up. This is the most likely replacement unless I can find something else.

And no, I'm not getting a smart phone just for an app.

Looking for recommendations?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parabellum,

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
You could try the HP 35S scientific calculator.

It's a nice calculator. I've had one for about 10 years, mostly used for grad school classes that didn't allow graphing or programmable calculators.

It can switch back and forth between RPN and normal.

I've never used a 32S, but the 35S does have more tactile buttons than any other calculator I've used.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
HP 35S 35S Programmable Scientific Calculator, 14-Digit LCD

www.amazon.com/dp/B004A0XHH4/r..._api_i_kgmIDbG9YCT97

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8981 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
call'em maybe they will fix it replace it

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54667 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Maybe eBay.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8981 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
diehard HP user here, even when I worked at TI (much to the chagrin of some of my managers)

I'd go with the 35s

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53205 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I still have a couple HP calculators around, somewhere: A 16C and a 15C. I haven't used the 16C in years. I put the 15C in my sea bag for use in navigational computations, though we never got far enough off-shore to need that. They both still work.

Now-a-days I use the RPN calculator on my phone, tablet, or, I recently discovered, my watch.

One of my best friends showed me the calculator app he's got on his Android phone. Looks just like an HP calculator.

I think I even still have my old HP 29C around, somewhere. Used to love watching that thing run programs Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
As a career Banker, I wore out a number of HP12C calculators. I absolutely loved them. Upon retirement, I left mine at work for the next pigeon to bang on. I now have it on my iphone but also have a HP10B in my desk that I use from time to time. It has the financial function but is not RPG.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4234 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dlc444
posted Hide Post
My HP12C is going strong after 12 years with just a battery change.

If you are used to the RPN, just get a new one. I can't use a regular calculator any more.

-.---.----.. -.---.----.. -.---.----..
It seems to me that any law that is not enforced and can't be enforced weakens all other laws.

Posts: 4357 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
I have an HP41CX that still works.
The logic system is wonderful.

Wouldn't someone somewhere be able to repair yours?

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31427 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I started out with an HP25 and went to the 41 and then the 41CV or CX - with the car reader and the small strips for programs

Also had an assortment of memory modules if I recall

fun times Big Grin

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53205 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Sharp solar calculator, made in Japan. No batteries, just sunlight to get it going.
It's gotta' be over 25 years old.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
There is no substitute for HP original calculators.

However, it is far cheaper to buy the app.

I have tried to find a suitable calculator. So far I have failed. The HP that are not RPN are not good.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5055 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
This thread reminded me... I can remember going to the store with my dad when he bought our first calculator. It was a big deal, like our first microwave or VCR.

Even though we bought it, he still used the big mechanical push button adding machine for the business.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Reverse Polish Notation. Oh how I hated those....

Posts: 11392 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
Reverse Polish Notation. Oh how I hated those....

How dare you. Anyway download free42 on your phone it's a digital copy of the best RPN calculator the HP 42s.

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
I have a HP 15c since the 80’s. So 30+ years and still works great.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you sit for the PE (professional engineer) exam, the only 2 calculators you can use are the HP35S and some TI whatever. I've been using HP since the HP41CX came out in the early 80's. Not sure I could even work an algebraic calculator anymore. RPN is how most people think of math anyway, whether they realise it or not.

I have both an HP35S on my desk and the free42 app on my phone. Both highly recommended.

Ken

Posts: 1050 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: December 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbj:
I have an HP41CX that still works.
The logic system is wonderful.
<snip>

I have an HP-35, and had an HP-28. But a friend had an HP-41, and I think it’s the best calculator ever made. Key clicks are so clean. And those neat modules!

Serious about crackers

Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I was just remembering times when a customer asked to borrow my 12C. After typing in a couple numbers and an operator they said "Where's the = key?"

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4234 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post