SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you regret selling your first car?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you regret selling your first car? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yes I do . 1967 Mustang Fastback . 289 V8

Posts: 4066 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No regrets on the first car. It was a brand new '87 VW Golf that went back to the dealer 12 times in the 16 months I had it. Traded it in on an '88 4Runner. Now that is the one I regret selling.

Posts: 706 | Registered: February 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1Lowtrk
posted Hide Post
I do not. It was a 1968 AMC Javelin It was 1978 and I was 14 paid 50 bucks.I repaired the rusty quarters and floors with sheet metal ,pop rivets and Bondo.painted it a really nice midnight blue.I rebuilt the engine changed it from automatic to a 4 speed and 4.10 gearing in the rear. In 1986 I sold it for 3500 and used the money for a down payment on the house I’m still in. I would not want the car back I have learned how not to body work.

Posts: 248 | Location: Burbank ill | Registered: May 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

OUCH!

Posts: 5153 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
No, mine was a old 70's Vega my Uncle gave me when I was in college and I didn't have a pot to piss in.

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3491 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
No, it was a hand-me-down from my uncle, who was a traveling salesman. He purchased his ‘71 Chevelle Malibu new, and put over 250k on it until the speedometer/odometer stopped working. I got it at 16 in ‘79, and I hot rodded it through most of high school.

It smoked heavily when I nailed it, and it had some rust, but another high school kid purchased it from me. I gave him a new cam with it, which I hadn’t yet installed, and when he did, loves had been almost completely worn down.

I had my first heavy duty woman encounter in it, and had a lot of other fun times in it like racing, cruising, trips to the beach, but I wasn’t sad to let it go. I then went VW after that. The call of the Beetle was just too strong!

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1180 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Absolutely.

Sometimes I make it through a week without thinking about it. 1979 Toyota Celica-Supra, SOHC 12-valve inline-6, port fuel injection, 5-speed auto transmission, sunroof, aluminum alloy wheels, loaded with features that a '79 shouldn't have had. Fast as a rocket. I got 2 speeding tickets in that Supra.

Bought it in 1988 when I was a senior. It truly had been stored in the barn of a trooper friend of mine in Greene County, Arkansas. Like an idiot, I sold it for a song when I was 21.

I often wonder what became of that amazing car.

Posts: 1094 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not really. Bought used a '73 Omega coupe, Olds' version of the GM X-body (Chevy Nova/Buick Apollo/Pontiac Ventura) in the mid '70s. Price was good but frankly I could never come to like its cheesy vinyl top and its cliche-70s appropriate Mayan Gold paint was definitely an acquired taste. Neutered was its 350 V8 with a 4bbl Rochester and anemic 3sp slushbox. It drank fuel like it was going out style but never ponied up any real power in return. Definitely fit the malaise era in cars that the mid to late '70s was infamous for. True that I had lots of good memories and times with that car, but when the timing chain let go on its interference engine around '82, it was definitely a sign that it was time to move on.

-MG

Posts: 2006 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Mine was totaled when I was hit head on, well I was the second car hit head on after the drunk kid hit the mercury marquis in front of me and drove it off the mountain.

I got a 5.0 mustang for a second car, my bro inherited it when I went to boot camp.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had an 81 Malibu circa 2002 and sold it to help finance my last year of college. Shoulda got a loan and just kept the car, but I'm a dumbass and my parents wanted it out of their garage.
Wasn't anything special, but it would be nice to have back. I only regret not keeping when I see one done up online. Would've been a fun car with a LS and a 5 speed.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2747 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I do not regret it. It was a neat old 77 VW van too. But I'm not wired that way. It'd bug me to own something I don't use that could be turned into cash for things I do need/want.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Not even a little bit. '62 Chevy Impala 4 door, straight 6, three on the tree. Parked it at home when I left for boot camp, when I came home on leave it was gone.

Did have a '69 Nova SS that I blew the TH350 trans out of, wish I had fixed that and kept it, but marriage and kids...

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15264 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Very much so!! Mine was a 1984 Monte Carlo SS. Beautiful car, but typical crap GM motor of the period. I blew up the first engine within 3 months of purchase, next big mistake was replacing it with the same motor instead of a 350 Chevy. That one blew about out a few months later, replaced at dealer cost. Drove it for about 8 years until I graduated college with $300 to my name. I'd love to have that car today, but put an engine and matching tranny from a Corvette in it.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3635 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Nope - first was a Dodge Omni...

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2675 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Nope. A black 1980 Datsun 310 with no AC that started rusting the day I drove it off the lot.

Posts: 1634 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I had a Dodge Omni also at one time, it was #3 or so. Not the type one would be inclined to save.

My very 1st car started on fire while driving it one night, 73 ‘Bel-Air’, Chev. My improvising on the fuse panel wasn’t a good idea after all.

Posts: 6176 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Yep, it was a 1974 Buick Apollo, sister to the Nova. I have only seen an Apollo once in my life, they were more rare. It was red and I actually like the look of it, if I had it back I’d drop a big block in it. It came with a 350 with two barrel carb. I would definitely have to add a/c, my parents were too cheap to buy it with a/c.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:

Ouch. That one hurts. My brother in law has a very very nice 64 1/2 Fastback that he has put gobs of money and time in. They're special cars for sure.

Posts: 6374 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I sure do, 1969 Charger R/T triple black, sold it for $500. What an idiot I was.

Posts: 426 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do. Mine was 1966 Falcon. A friend of my Dad's ended up with it. His wife (a kindergarden teacher) drove it to school (1/2 mile each way) every day for several years.
I told him I knew what he had paid my Dad for the car and that I'd give him his money back whenever he was ready to sell the car. He said he'd let me know when he ready to sell it. Several years later I asked him what happened to the car, he said a guy came by a few weeks before and offered him half what I told him I'd pay and he sold it. He told me he'd forgotten about my offer........

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 727 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post