SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seattle city attorney sues carmakers Kia and Hyundai over increased car thefts
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seattle city attorney sues carmakers Kia and Hyundai over increased car thefts Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Typical leftist scumbag, blaming anything and anyone, except the criminals. Roll Eyes

https://justthenews.com/nation...increased-car-thefts

Seattle city attorney sues carmakers Kia and Hyundai over increased car thefts
Davison’s office claims that the two car companies’ failure to install anti-theft technology has contributed to an increase of their car models being stolen in Seattle and across the region.

By Spencer Pauley
Updated: January 25, 2023 - 11:16pm

Seattle City Attorney Ann Davison has filed a lawsuit against Kia and Hyundai for their alleged role in an exponential increase of car theft in Seattle and other regions.

Davison’s office claims that the two car companies’ failure to install anti-theft technology has contributed to an increase of their car models being stolen in Seattle and across the region.

In the last two years, thefts of Kia and Hyundai cars increased by 363% and 503% in Seattle, according to the lawsuit. The Seattle Police Department reported a 620% increase in reports of stolen Hyundais and Kias in July, 2022 over the previous July.

Davison added that Kia and Hyundai are aware of the public safety concerns arising from the huge spike in theft of their vehicles, but “they have not taken meaningful steps to address the problem.”

“Kia and Hyundai chose to cut corners and cut costs at the expense of their customers and the public," Davison said in a statement. "As a result, our police force has had to tackle a huge rise in vehicle theft and related problems with already stretched resources. Now Seattle taxpayers must shoulder the burden of the increase in theft.”

Videos posted on social media showed how to steal Kia car models simply by removing a plastic piece under the steering wheel and using a USB cord and turning it like a key.

Since more people know how to steal Kia and Hyundai cars, the number of reported thefts of Hyundais and Kias went from 48 in August to 197 in December last year, according to Seattle Police Chief Adrian Diaz.

Hyundai Super Group Manager Ira Gabriel told The Center Square in an email that the company found the lawsuit “improper and unnecessary.” Gabriel added that in response to an increase of thefts targeting Hyundai vehicles without push-button ignitions and immobilizing anti-theft devices in the United States, Hyundai Motor America has made engine immobilizers standard on all vehicles produced as of November 2021.

Engine immobilizers are anti-theft systems. The car only starts by an electronic code transmitted by a smart key fob that matches the code of the vehicle or if it is turned into the ignition switch.

“Hyundai is also providing free steering wheel locks, as available, to select law enforcement agencies across the country, including in the Seattle area, for distribution to local residents who own or lease affected models,” Gabriel added. “Owners may also bring their vehicles to a local Hyundai dealer for the purchase and installation of a customized security kit. We apologize for the inconvenience to affected customers.”

Kia said it was concerned that criminal actors are targeting certain Kia cars. The statement added that all 2022 models and trims have an immobilizer applied either at the beginning of the year or as a running change.

Vehicle thefts of unprotected Kia and Hyundai models occur predominantly in the Seattle neighborhoods of Northgate, Capitol Hill, Central District and Beacon Hill, according to the City Attorney’s Office.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post

quote:
"He let all the junkies run wild and refused to prosecute anyone, so the police stopped arresting anyone. So what'd he do? He sued Kai and Hyundai!!! *Wheezelaugh* No, it's true! He even had the nerve to say it made more work for the police!! *Wheezelaugh* There's human shit knee-deep in a ten mile radius around the Space Needle and Kai and Hyundai are the problem!!!*Wheezelaugh**Wheezelaugh**Wheezelaugh*

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Locks are to keep honest people out.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
In most cases I disagree with dumb lawsuits. However in this instance I agree with them being sued. Though it should be by the owners of KIAs and Hyundai owners getting the money.

If I owned one it would be sold IMMEDIATELY.

It is so bad, I run the tag of every single Kia and Hyundai I see anymore.

This is 100% a design flaw that they are well aware of and refuse to do anything about.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25420 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
^^^^ Man, You can't be for real.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
^^^^ Man, You can't be for real.

100% serious. Folks have no idea how large scale of a problem this is.
You have a USB cord in you pocket you have access to nearly every Kia or Hyundai made in at least 5 years.

You can bypass both the door lock and the ignition with ZERO tools needed. Well, I guess technically the USB cord would be the tool.

It is the equivalent of selling safe locks and no matter what combination you put in it opens right up.
Or front door locks that accept whatever key you put in it.

And while yes, criminals are the problem Kia/Hyundai is too.
We can add the courts/Judges to be part of the problem as well since they let these folks out.
A few months back arrested a fella out of a KIA in the morning only to get him again at the end of shift in a Hyundai.

————————————————

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If it's really that easy, it's a design flaw, and I agree with Black.

It would be like the bank taking money out of my account and leaving it on the sidewalk or let anybody walk in, say they were me, and giving them my money. Sure, it’s the criminal’s fault if someone stole my money. Roll Eyes

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
While we're at it, lets start suing homeowners because they didn't have a state of the art security system after their home is burglarized. This kind of BS opens the door for all kinds of other lawsuits.

In 2022, Memphis, which is not that big of a city, had over 8,500 cars stolen in 2022. The libtard city council is floating the same idea. Let's sue KIA and Hyundai. It's not the fault of these young gangbangers who steal cars, get arrested, and back out on the streets a few hours later and get caught again with no fear of consequences.

If it's not USB, it would be something else.

More than 8,500 cars stolen in Memphis in 2022
https://www.actionnews5.com/vi...stolen-memphis-2022/

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You sound like every leftist idiot out there that is destroying this country. So Kia’s are easier to steal? Well no shit, they are also cheaper than most cars. Where the fuck do you think they are saving money? Car immobilizers. You get what you pay for. And blaming a car company for theft is horrible precedent. That gun was waaay too easy to rob the store with. You are opening a retarded door that needs to stay shut.

Let the market crush K and H. Stop buying these cheap ass cars.

If you truly believe that line of bullshit you are spewing then get Congress to mandate what security features on a car are mandatory. Which is another bad idea.

Otherwise you just became part of the problem.

What’s next? Car windows were too easy to break? Fuck it lets sue them. FML.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
I could understand a class action suit on behalf of folks that own those cars. It appears that the companies may have been remiss by not informing the owners and offering some form of remediation. I am certain there will be a class action suit (and that I will be spammed about it).

There is no mention of owner compensation in the Seattle article so it does not appear to be a class action suit. I venture the the DA is suing to recoup city expenditures needed to track the stolen cars. I very much doubt Seattle cares about the owners.

While we are at it, the owners should sue MSM. The local station had a segment that was pretty much a "how to" video on how to steal these cars.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
While we're at it, let’s start suing homeowners because they didn't have a state of the art security system after their home is burglarized. This kind of BS opens the door for all kinds of other lawsuits.

Completely different scenarios. I also did not advocate for the lawsuits coming from the Police I believe it should be going to the vehicle owner or the insurance company that paid out for the owner.
Here is a comparable scenario. Your house is entered because (whoever made your front doors deadbolt) made no provisions for only being unlocked by a specific key.
ANY key simply slides in and unlocks your front door. Everything you own of value is taken. You file with insurance. It is found that deadbolt manufacturer is well aware of this design flaw that is standard ACROS THE BOARD, not just a poorly assembled unit here or there.

I highly suspect you or your insurance company maybe both is going to go after the deadbolt company, as you should.

These Kias and Hyundais are not being stolen because they are being left unlocked with keys in the car, or left running. Those scenarios too bad so sad in all reality.
There is a very large difference.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
Caveat Emptor mother fricker! Take this lawsuit and wrap fish with it.

Posts: 662 | Location: Crestview Florida | Registered: July 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your analogy about a house opening with any key is flawed. And I think you know it but I doubt you will admit this. Before you open the house door with any key in your analogy you gotta break a window to get to the lock. These thiefs do use a usb to “Hotwire” it but they usually have to break into the car first. Admittedly that isn’t hard but it’s still not the same as just walk up an any key works. You also have to trash all the plastic around the steering column and rip out the key cylinder. Yea it’s easy but there are a bunch of crimes committed before you even get to the stealing part.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Here’s a thought, Seattle- let’s make committing crimes illegal and focus on enforcement. These leftists have allowed a subculture of criminals to flourish through its lack of support for police doing their jobs and a weak justice system.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15573 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to think of "vehicles" that are also easy to steal due to lack of high security key systems:

Bicycles - No keys at all
Horses - No keys at all
Small Scooters - Some no keys, others with universal keys.
Tractors - many with universal keys.
Big trucks - many with small number of key options.

I bet if Kia and Hyundai installed a swinging blade that would decapitate any thief starting the car without a key they'd be sued by Seattle for actually doing something to prevent car thefts.

I don't get it. Even if cars didn't have a key at all I don't see how it would be the manufacturer's responsibility that somebody stole it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
While we're at it, let’s start suing homeowners because they didn't have a state of the art security system after their home is burglarized. This kind of BS opens the door for all kinds of other lawsuits.

Completely different scenarios. I also did not advocate for the lawsuits coming from the Police I believe it should be going to the vehicle owner or the insurance company that paid out for the owner.
Here is a comparable scenario. Your house is entered because (whoever made your front doors deadbolt) made no provisions for only being unlocked by a specific key.
ANY key simply slides in and unlocks your front door. Everything you own of value is taken. You file with insurance. It is found that deadbolt manufacturer is well aware of this design flaw that is standard ACROS THE BOARD, not just a poorly assembled unit here or there.

I highly suspect you or your insurance company maybe both is going to go after the deadbolt company, as you should.

These Kias and Hyundais are not being stolen because they are being left unlocked with keys in the car, or left running. Those scenarios too bad so sad in all reality.
There is a very large difference.

If I buy the cheapest deadbolt I can find, I don't really expect it to be the same quality as the higher priced option.
A lot of things are easy once you know how to do it. It's not like Kia and Hyundi published an article on how to hack their cars. Someone figured out how to do it. Car thieves also figured out how to clone car remotes using gadgets easily obtained online. Should car companies also be sued for this? It certainly wasn't possible using a good old fashioned key.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4832 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Your analogy about a house opening with any key is flawed. And I think you know it but I doubt you will admit this. Before you open the house door with any key in your analogy you gotta break a window to get to the lock. These thief’s do use a usb to “Hotwire” it but they usually have to break into the car first. Admittedly that isn’t hard but it’s still not the same as just walk up an any key works. You also have to trash all the plastic around the steering column and rip out the key cylinder. Yea it’s easy but there are a bunch of crimes committed before you even get to the stealing part.

You are incorrect.
The USB cord does NOT HOT wire the vehicle at all.
The USB cord is used to open the door as well. There is no need to remove the lock cylinder or damage the vehicle. The ignition parts are simply removed with a slight pull as they are held in with clips and a easily put back.
The vehicle can be entered and driven off in under 1 minute with nothing more than a USB cable.

Was it an intentional design flaw. No, but it is 100% a design flaw that they now know about and are doing nothing about.

Again, I am not advocating a blanket lawsuit here. I am not advocating for the specific lawsuit either.
I do believe however folks that have had their vehicle stolen in this manner alone should be compensated by Kia/Hyundai.

You left your car running with the keys in it or something like that too bad so sad.

————————————————

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Pete is spot on. I can't believe what I'm reading with excuses and wrong analogy. Not even close.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
I'm trying to think of "vehicles" that are also easy to steal due to lack of high security key systems:

Bicycles - No keys at all
Horses - No keys at all
Small Scooters - Some no keys, others with universal keys.
Tractors - many with universal keys.
Big trucks - many with small number of key options.

Let's sue them all. Big Grin

-- George Orwell

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
The police suing is bizarre.

The insurance companies and car owners may, if the design doesn’t meet industry “standards”

Basic fords had some kind of immobilizer chip in the keys going back to the…. Early 00s? Late 90s?

If there is a basic standard in the industry, they may not meet that.

Posts: 5734 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post