SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Seattle city attorney sues carmakers Kia and Hyundai over increased car thefts
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seattle city attorney sues carmakers Kia and Hyundai over increased car thefts Login/Join 
Picture of powermad
posted Hide Post
Most stuff can be gotten into without much fuss.
Long ago when I was painting cars the shop took care of the Sheriff's cars.
The doors locked automatically and you had to be sure you had keys in hand.
Of course the first one I locked myself out.
There was another with the door taken apart so it didn't take much to figure out and rig up a slim Jim to pop the lock.

After watching a bump key video I went and got better door locks.
May as well not even bother locking up otherwise.

Posts: 1477 | Location: Portland Oregon | Registered: October 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Either that or someone will realize an aftermarket opportunity exists to augment / install antitheft systems into Kia / Hyundai cars.

I've said it before: Korean companies build in features and cosmetics but they cut corners elsewhere. Buyer beware and determine if those corners are acceptable or not. Consumer electronics, TVs, appliances and now it seems cars as well. No surprise. Products look good superficially but you may want to dig deeper.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Caveat emptor, nice. Nobody posting in this thread would by a car without locks. Y’all would expect those locks to work, would be pissed if they didn’t, and would be posting in the What’s Your Deal section immediately. I’m not unique in this.

I expect all the parts of the vehicle to function in their intended role. The tires should last more than 100 miles, the brakes should stop the vehicle in less than a mile, the engine should run for more than 1,000 miles and yes, the locks should keep a 12 year old from driving off with the vehicle in less than a minute without breaking stuff. History is replete with examples of vehicle manufacturers producing flawed vehicles (from the Corvair to the Space Shuttle), adopting changes to address those flaws, and even being sued from time to time over those flaws.

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I'm sure everyone knows it's easy to steal the "theft proof" cars that are keyless and use fobs, right?

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
I would say that most people’s home front door locks are secured with 150 year old technology.

Are we going to sue Schlage?

And if you choose not to lock your doors, is the city/police going to sue you?

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
St.Louis threatened to sue Kia and Hyundai for the same thing. I'm not sure if they ever did but with our DA I have no doubt.

https://jalopnik.com/st-louis-...hicle-the-1849643819

Insurance companies are already starting to refuse insuring Kia/Hyundai brands. Now that that has started to happen and it hits the OEM in the pocket book they might start taking it a bit more serious.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/...eyre-stolen-too-much

quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I'm sure everyone knows it's easy to steal the "theft proof" cars that are keyless and use fobs, right?
That's why I put my fob into a faraday pouch when I'm out and about. Challengers have been a target with this type of theft for at least 4 years that I know of.

Posts: 3915 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Insurance companies are already starting to refuse insuring Kia/Hyundai brands. Now that that has started to happen and it hits the OEM in the pocket book they might start taking it a bit more serious.

This will force the change, if you can't get insurance on it, you can't finance it... Sales go to zero... And they will apply the surcharge to all KIA/Hyundai models

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Caveat emptor, nice. Nobody posting in this thread would by a car without locks. Y’all would expect those locks to work, would be pissed if they didn’t, and would be posting in the What’s Your Deal section immediately. I’m not unique in this.

Agree - I would certainly be pissed. And wouldn't buy the product / brand again. But I wouldn't necessarily think they should be sued. Safety issues like brakes or fires are different than theft prevention. Safety issues where people get injured or killed - criminal negligence at least. Lack of theft prevention - what crime are they being charged with? Is anything protected against theft? Insured, yes. But prevented?

Tons of products and features that don't meet expectations. Sue every time? Or let the mkt decide which products survive? Hell, my identity is worth more to me than anything I could buy. When my identity gets stolen, what compensation do I get? Banks, hospitals, government, even credit check companies - none have been immune. When do they get sued? How criminally or civilly liable have they been outside of some symbolic gesture?

The only way to reduce theft is to disappear the thieves.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12718 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
“Your honor, I mean those catalytic converters were just laying there on the bottom of the car… I could reach out and just touch it. What would you do?“

Litigate Ford, GM, Honda and Toyota

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
People are bolting / welding on plates to protect their converters. MF's - why do we need to do this?

I looking for a solution like Alien - pop the shell and molecular acid squirts out.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
"Get a piece of insulated wire with alligator clips at both ends. It has to be long enough to go from the + terminal of the battery to the + terminal of your distributor.

Then short the starter solenoid to ground to crank over the starter.
Done[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure the statute of limitations has expired, but that's how to burn a jerk.

Run your described jumper cable from the brake light switch to the horn relay.

Priceless!

Posts: 11839 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I kind of like this idea for car thieves. (from Robocop 2, the only decent moment in this otherwise dreadful movie)

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
“Your honor, I mean those catalytic converters were just laying there on the bottom of the car… I could reach out and just touch it. What would you do?“

Litigate Ford, GM, Honda and Toyota

Why go through all that effort to steal the catalytic converter when you can just take the entire car? You don't need any jacks, don't need a Sawzall, you don't really any tools.

Posts: 10932 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:

Get a piece of insulated wire with alligator clips at both ends. It has to be long enough to go from the + terminal of the battery to the + terminal of your distributor.

Then short the starter solenoid to ground to crank over the starter.

Done

Hmm.. when was the last time you tried this? I guess it's been a while.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
"He let all the junkies run wild and refused to prosecute anyone, so the police stopped arresting anyone. So what'd he do? He sued Kai and Hyundai!!! *Wheezelaugh* No, it's true! He even had the nerve to say it made more work for the police!! *Wheezelaugh* There's human shit knee-deep in a ten mile radius around the Space Needle and Kai and Hyundai are the problem!!!*Wheezelaugh**Wheezelaugh**Wheezelaugh*

You know, I never would've guessed the misdirection would have worked, but here we are: four pages of polite and not-so-polite debate about stealing Kias and Hyundais.

"Hey look! A squirrel!"
"That's not a squirrel, that's a chipmunk."
"Chipmunks are just squirrels that live on the ground."
"You're totally wrong, they're totally different!"
"No, it's a squirrel."
New guy walks over. "Hey, I saw a squirrel once back in 1972!"
A fourth guy. "Hey, I work in squirrel control on the other side of the country. Squirrels are a serious problem."

Seattle has problems. Serious, serious problems. Kai and Hyundai? They aren't the problem.

quote:

Between my wife's car and my old car, we got broken into at least a dozen times with what could only have been this exact method. They never took the cars, they just took stuff that was in the cars, and only the first few times, because we never left anything worth taking after that. Same story every time, we'd walk out in the morning to go to work, find the door left open (because closing a car door at 3am makes noise), and usually that was that. The first time it happened, it was while the vehicle was parked in the driveway below our bedroom in a townhouse. We were not twenty feet from the driver's door. Never heard it. If we were lucky, it happened on a weeknight and we'd catch it before it ran the battery down. Several times, it was discovered on a Monday with a dead battery. Totally dissipated any notions I have about how secure anything I own actually is. If a thief really wants something, and you're not in arm's length and conscious, it's theirs.

Posts: 17122 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
People are bolting / welding on plates to protect their converters. MF's - why do we need to do this?

Full video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLFVPv_EJhw

Posts: 27948 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
The thing with these two brands is how astronomical their thefts are compared to other brands because of this. It would boggle your mind to know how many juveniles we are having steal these then commit multiple crimes then run from us and wreck.

I’m not saying that a lawsuit is the answer…but I can understand the argument. I have to pull the stolen car reports in my division and keep track of them and just those two brands represent 2 out of every 3 or higher of our stolen cars. It’s completely skewed our data. I can’t believe they haven’t done a recall.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hairy2dawg
posted Hide Post
I'm having a difficult time grasping the whole concept around this. I mean, what in the hell did they do 200 years ago, when they parked their horse? This is, wholly, a government created problem, and until they are willing to solve it, there will continue to be thieves to take other people's stuff. Doesn't matter what kind of lock you design, there will be someone out there willing to defeat it unless you make the penalty so severe that they're not willing to risk it.

Posts: 1276 | Location: Athens, GA | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty sure they hung ‘em. ^^^

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Back when I was actively taking cars in the repossession business there wasn't much we couldn't start and drive. Some cars were fairly complicated, say Mercedes for example, so they would simply overnight us keys/fobs made on their equipment.

But ultimately I didn't need keys at all. I could use a wrecker and not attract a single glance from most people.

There wasn't a single automobile, piece of commercial equipment, boat, RV, or aircraft that couldn't be made "gone" in a relatively short period of time.

I think we should sue the Kia and Hyundai owners for creating an attractive nuisance. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15714 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post