SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Norm MacDonald has died
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norm MacDonald has died Login/Join 
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Him and Dennis Miller are 2 of my comedic heroes.
Here they are together on Millers HBO show- you can tell these 2 were close.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3440 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Perpetual Student
Picture of Dan
posted Hide Post
Wow. It's rare that I feel these losses, and far rarer that I post in these threads, but wow. What a gut punch.

Posts: 2459 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: May 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Oh no! R.I.P. Mr. MacDonald. Frown

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Damn it.

RIP, Norm.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
Frown As others stated, this hit hard. RIP Norm.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4354 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
Germans love David Hasselhoff. I just loved it when he would say that, or when he would end a comment with, “or so the Germans would have you believe.”

He just was such a funny man. He is gone far before his time and he will be missed. RIP Norm.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
This is a real bummer.

When I was in junior high I took Drama, and was cast as the villain in our play. I did it as Evil Norm MacDonald.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Triggers don't
pull themselves
Picture of mdblanton
posted Hide Post
Sad news indeed. I was just recounting one of his standup bits to a friend of mine a few days ago.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Petal, MS | Registered: January 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If there's such a thing, MacDonald was 'an advanced comic', his delivery and method was beyond what the model of comedian called for; he was poo-poo'd by critics and wasn't basic enough for Hollywood.
quote:
Originally posted by medic451:
Him and Dennis Miller are 2 of my comedic heroes.

Those two defied SNL and thus the producers didn't know what to do with them, no wonder they got shoved over as the host of the evening news.

What passes as comedy there is being a suck-up like Seth Meyers and Jimmy Fallon, or being an accessible doofus like Will Farrell and Adam Sandler. I attempted to watch an SNL episode recently...there wasn't a single person on the cast that had any talent, it was pathetic.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing medic 451. That was good stuff. RIP Norm

Posts: 1562 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
gone too soon.
his humor resonated with me a great deal.

RIP sir.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11143 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
The reason I love this clip is that it is classic Norm. He has some wins, he has a bomb (and pushes through it) and then in the last few seconds of this clip, hits a home run that knocks Conan out.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
All of Norm’s appearances on Dave.

Part 1 of 5 - 1990 - 1995
https://youtu.be/hXPu-Sta5a0

Part 2 of 5 - 1996-1997
https://youtu.be/KWwMdr7NfdI

Part 3 of 5 - 1998
https://youtu.be/S6ke6O4Q8tI

Part 4 of 5 - 1999-2000
https://youtu.be/8ZClGJ917uM

Part 5 of 5 - 2003 - 2015
https://youtu.be/aFq7LGZlVsc

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought he had some very funny movies, and some hilarious moments on SNL, back when it was funny.

Posts: 377 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I never saw his appearance on the View before today.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Truly upsetting, I had no idea he was ill.
He was a comedic genius, I always enjoyed his humor and wit.

What a loss, indeed too young.

May Norm Rest In Peace.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Saw that news today and was completely taken aback. I had no idea he'd even been sick, much less so close to succumbing to his illness. He was a smug, smart alecky, annoying thorn in the side of many of the folks I abhor. He will be missed.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a talent....and loss. Interesting that he took the approach of not revealing his illness so it wouldn't be a distraction to his work. Glad his work can still be enjoyed.

NRA Life Member/GOA Life Member

Posts: 137 | Location: Gainesville, FL.  | Registered: July 06, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
Imagine having a terminal illness, and being locked down in the way that he was for so long. I'd noticed an uptick of YouTube bits where he would call people from his home at some point back during the lockdowns. I really really enjoyed his style. He was a pretty smart guy. Which explains why he and Dennis got along so well.

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of whododat
posted Hide Post
Genius indeed. He will be missed.

Because son, it is what you are supposed to do.

Posts: 1851 | Location: Escaped to TN | Registered: October 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post