SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What was your first firearm?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What was your first firearm? Login/Join 
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Gen 3 Glock 23. I don't shoot it much anymore, but I will always keep it.

Posts: 3661 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIG 229R
posted Hide Post
First Rifle I owned was a Mossberg 22 the forearm went nearly the length of the barrel and had multiple sights on the muzzle end. Weighed nearly a ton. First shotgun was a Stevens 410 I purchased with my own money. Bought it from I believe Western Auto and it cost $40.00 tax included. Still have the shotgun, don't remember what happened to the rifle.

SigP229R
Harry Callahan "A man has got to know his limitations".
Teddy Roosevelt "Talk soft carry a big stick"
I Cor10: 13 "1611KJV"

Posts: 6066 | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got my first very own rifle for Christmas when I was 10 y/o. It was a Sevens/Savage .22cal semi-auto. It was used, and did have a few problems, but I loved it. I still own it, but haven't fired it in decades.

Posts: 6620 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1977..Colt Diamondback 4" barrel. I was 20 years old. $180.00. I still have it today.

Posts: 203 | Registered: August 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Beretta 92FS, which I bought used, for my 21st birthday. It'made in the USA (not Italy)but it has the straight dustcover, non-radiused backstrap, steel guide rod, and all metal controls. It's a nice gun I can't imagine I'd ever sell it.

Posts: 8571 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
My Dad got me a H&R Topper Youth model 20 gauge for Christmas many years ago.

Posts: 1956 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
A Ruger Security-Six back in the very early '80s. I was single, living in an apartment, and wanted something for home protection.

I sold it shortly after I joined Dallas PD in '87 because the department issued S&W Model 10 revolvers.

It was a great gun, and there are times I wish I still had it.

Posts: 4501 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have my first shotgun, a Stevens double barrel .410. My first rifle was a Winchester single shot model 60. I was eight when my father gave them to me.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My first firearm was a two-fer purchase -

Beretta 92FS Inox (for me)

S&W 640 Centennial (in .357, for GF / future wife)

Posts: 3479 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
1956 Model 37 Winchester .410 from my Grandpa, I was 5. Second was a Model 67 Winchester .22. Still have both.
Carl

Posts: 41 | Location: Bofire1@comcast.net | Registered: May 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
BHP

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
My first gun was a Ruger mk1 standard. I paid 125 I wish I never sold it. I have replaced it with a few of them. My first store bought gun was a ruger 10/22 for 99 at true value hardware store. I do still have it.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9072 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too nice for
my own good
Picture of sigarmsVin
posted Hide Post
Ithaca Model-66 Super single 20ga. Still have it, mostly sits in the safe now.

First rifle I purchased was a Springfield M1A Standard 9103 with birch stock.

Posts: 915 | Location: Tri-State | Registered: March 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cold Ass Honkey
Picture of Sig Vicious
posted Hide Post
for my 10th Birthday, I received a Winchester 67A .22. The 'Youth" model with the short barrel.

The first one that I bought myself was an Enfield No. 4 Mark 1 with a Bubba-sporterized stock for which I paid $18, a fair chunk of my bean-picking money that summer. I was all of 12 years old and that .303 kicked like a mule.
I just mounted an ATI rail this last week to accomodate a Primary Arms Micro Dot (or what ever 'scope I should choose).

------------------------------
Never fully gruntled.

Posts: 2173 | Location: OR-ee-GUN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Shop. Adopt.
Picture of hapevo
posted Hide Post
First gun was a Ruger P89, bought it in 1991. Had it for about a month and traded it back to the dealer for a Sig P228.

"Saving one dog will not change the world, but surely for that one dog, the world will change forever." - Karen Davison

"Man can measure the values of his own soul in the look of the eyes of an animal he's helped" - Author Unkown

Posts: 1524 | Location: NorCal | Registered: April 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Ithaca 20 pump shotgun. Still have it. It's a nice example of quality steel and wood, early 70s.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8683 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
The first firearm I ever had was a bolt action .22. I just can't remember the make and model. I got rid of it before going off to college, as I couldn't take it with me. I borrowed shotguns to hunt and shoot skeet/trap back then.

I spent a LONG time after that borrowing rifle and shotguns, and only shot handguns for qualifications in the military. Then before going off to my first LE academy I bought a Ruger MkII, and put about 10K rounds through it in a few months, as I'd shoot once or twice a week, shooting about 300 to 500 rounds each session. I still regret selling that pistol.

My first centerfire handgun was a SIG P228, which I still have. I haven't shot in many years, but I keep it out of nostalgia. My first duty gun was an M11, and the next was a P228.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jcsabolt2:
My first shotgun was an H&R Topper 88 12ga single shot. I begged and begged my Dad who does not shoot for a Remington 870 using my own money. Didn't happen. Back then you could pick up a used Rem 870 for $200 at a gun show and there were hundreds of them.

First rifle I bought was a Ruger 10/22 for $149...lost count at the number of groundhogs, coons, etc. that fell to that rifle. Still have it and just replaced the scope last year.

My first handgun was a Ruger P90 .45 ACP for $309 at a gun show. Not the best pistol in the world, but it was mine and I could shoot it pretty well even with the crappy trigger. Still have it too.

Mine was also a H&R Topper but in .410
I bagged many squirrels and rabbits with it.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Springfield" (made by Stevens) .410 bolt action shotgun, a Christmas present from my parents when I guess I was about 10 or 11. Possibly the worst possible choice to start a boy in shotgunning.
My second was a 25-20 Winchester rifle (not carbine), a birthday present from my grandmother when I was about 13 or 14. It had been my grandfather's and was woefully inaccurate with 86 grain factory ammo. I still have it and have considered having it re-bored to 32-20.
My first handgun was a Colt police positive 32-20 that came from my grandmother's estate. It shot decently for a fixed sight revolver after I had the cylinder tightened a bit.
Notwithstanding that the equipment was somewhat lacking, I became a prolific shooter. I still have them and they mean a great deal to me.
Incidentally, in the early 70s, you could still pick up 25-20 and 32-20 cartridges at the hardware store.

Posts: 631 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Free radical
scavenger
Picture of rh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
A Mossberg bolt action 20 gauge.

Those are no longer manufactured, but apparently they were popular in Texas at sometime. Mine is currently residing in another state. I can't determine the model number by searching (385?), but mine has a detachable 2 round magazine, an adjustable C-Lect choke (IC to full, cylinder without choke), and around a 26" barrel. It worked quite well for quail, dove, and even white tailed deer with slugs.

From top to bottom, it's the third shotgun down, the one with the lightest wood finish:

Posts: 1140 | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post