SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Getting out of SF FLORIDA we hope.
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Getting out of SF FLORIDA we hope. Login/Join 
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
It was not a move for the wife to her family it was suggestion.

quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
quote:
Whidbey Island WA

So much for this being a move to get your wife to family. Razz

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Posts: 2443 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Been here for all those listed Hurricanes,

Charlie, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne, and most all those crossed the center part of FL which is rare, all our damage from those was trees, power lines, within a few days our power was back on, others took longer.

Ian was another story, not a lot of wind, but slow and full of rain, lots and lots of rain, enough that our retention ponds couldn't handle it, and the creek rose to flood the neighborhood, we were lucky, others were not.

Outside of Ian, in CFL Hurricanes are really not more than running to the store for liquor, cigars, food, Ice, Gas, water mania.

Ocala, Gainesville, The Villages, Leesburg, Clermont and of course Ho-Lando all fare well, if you are into FL.

If we move it will be WV or TN, wife has family in WV and TN... Bristol area....

Posts: 24398 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Smile

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Posts: 2443 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyberphobia:
Anyone up on Whidbey Island WA?
Oak Harbor area.

I knew a guy from there. He would find reasons to bring it up and bitch about it. I worked on Vashon island for a year, so I'm very familiar with Sound Transit ferries and "PNW island life." I wouldn't recommend it unless you had family there you wanted to be really near. You're at the mercy of the ferries, and weather or mechanical failures can you leave you reasonably stuck, unless you're willing to drive the full length of the island to the next pier.

The Puget sound islands are beautiful, but gun laws entirely aside, the people there are wired very differently. If living amongst a bunch of left coast artists and musicians is your thing, you'd be hard-pressed to do better. It's also nothing like what I'd call close to museums or culture. You're a ferry ride away from Seattle, Everett, and Tacoma. You can watch homeless junkies shit on the sidewalk in broad daylight and nobody bats an eye because it's a common occurrence.

Have you been to any of these places you're considering? I would strongly suggest visiting and/or renting first if you think anywhere in the PNW is a good idea.

Posts: 17717 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
We lived and worked in Des Moines just south of Seattle in 2008ish till 2013,then had to come back here.
We did drive Whidbey Island a few times stopped over night in Anacortes area but not Oak Harbor.
The Scenery, beaches and walks will make up for museums and city life, ferries will not be a worry we aint going to travel far.
I can still have my SIGS up there but found out they banned hi cap mags only 10 rounds; that will make my IDPA shoots more equal with the other shooters! Smile
Artists got no problem with them just dont bang on about politics!
Thanks for the input.

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Oak Harbor area.

As I said earlier. NW Wa. to me is some beautiful country. Weather is great too. Ocean, Mountains, water. Incredible scenery. Politics is dictated by Seattle/Tacoma. Which sucks. But such a beautiful area.
Whidbey would be great except you would need to travel maybe more than you would like.

Maybe Gig Harbor, Bremerton, Port Orchard, Poulsbo, Kingston area?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19813 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
^^^^This.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2089 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSAC:
Not far from Ft. Myers, and the community is ready for storms.

https://www.npr.org/2022/10/05...-babcock-ranch-solar

We just rented a place there for three months and are driving down in about three weeks. They had no issues during Ian.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 5027 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Its 4 miles south of us come on down and say hello.
Or we meet in the dread Starbucks for a chat.
IDPA and Steel Shoots here are a Blast I can introduce you?

quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
quote:

We just rented a place there for three months and are driving down in about three weeks. They had no issues during Ian.

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Yes thank we saw that
Looked for condos in all those areas; Poulsbo had 1, Kingston none,Gig Harbour too far south and Bremerton too much crime.
Sequim and Port Angeles no medical, Port Hardlock area loads of money,
We are going up to Oak Harbor in October see the place and surrounding area.
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
quote:
Oak Harbor area.

As I said earlier. NW Wa. to me is some beautiful country. Weather is great too. Ocean, Mountains, water. Incredible scenery. Politics is dictated by Seattle/Tacoma. Which sucks. But such a beautiful area.
Whidbey would be great except you would need to travel maybe more than you would like.

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:

They had no issues for two reasons:

The main reason is they didn’t get hit with the full force of Ian. Babcock Ranch only experienced wind gusts barely over 100mph. Unless you live in a trailer park, nobody get’s much damage from wind that low. Maybe pool screens and uprooted trees which is exactly the type of damage Babcock Ranch experienced. In other words, they didn’t fare any better or worse than anywhere else that had the same wind levels.

The second reason is their power is run underground and they have a robust connection to FPL. FPL owns the solar plant next door that provides electricity to Babcock Ranch and provides electricity from their closet natural gas plant at night. That would be a huge advantage if they had been hit with higher winds levels.

The real problem with Babcock Ranch is how far away it is from everything. They did finally, after 15 years, get a Publix. So they don’t have to drive 11 miles down the traffic congested 2-lane blacktop anymore just to get groceries. That 2-lane may have changed as well. I haven’t been out there in 4 years.

Posts: 11720 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
My dad’s cousin Joe, moved from Naples to the mountains in western NC to escape the hurricanes, tornadoes etc. they are both from Philly originally.

Joe did the online cost comparison thing and found it was about equal from Fla to nc.

-----------------------------------

I was about to make the same suggestion, we love the western part of NC, great views, nice weather, just good all round. A traffic jam in our area is more than 8 cars at a traffic signal. Take a look before you decide.....

Posts: 3865 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
^^^They call those people “halfbacks” because they moved to Florida from up north, couldn’t stand the heat, so they moved half way back.

Posts: 11720 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Looked for condos in all those areas; Poulsbo had 1, Kingston none,Gig Harbour too far south and Bremerton too much crime.
Sequi

Sequim, no medical. It is mostly retiree's?

Why not find a nice place to rent vs a condo?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19813 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I would strongly suggest visiting and/or renting first if you think anywhere in the PNW is a good idea.

Yeah, right between the Cascadia subduction zone and the Yellowstone supervolcano.

Posts: 7446 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
I would but the wife will not pay $2000 a month for rent.
I try to explain we have no one to leave anything to we could rent for maybe 15 years before I pop off
But if one sell one has two years to buy or the FEDS take monies off us.
$2000 seems to be the rent no matter where one lives North South East or West, been trolling the country for months.

quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
quote:
Sequi

Sequim, no medical. It is mostly retiree's?

Why not find a nice place to rent vs a condo?

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
When you got to go you got to go!!

quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
I would strongly suggest visiting and/or renting first if you think anywhere in the PNW is a good idea.

Yeah, right between the Cascadia subduction zone and the Yellowstone supervolcano.

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Are you still coming down?? We live 4 miles south of Babcock
Hurricane Helene god willing we will still be here!
Send me an email get you up the range.
quote:
quote:

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
SIG 226R DA/SA
SIG 938 SAS SAO

thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:

But if one sell one has two years to buy or the FEDS take monies off us.

That is a gross misinterpretation of the rules. Read them again. Better yet, consult your {competent} tax advisor if needed.

Unless you've been in your current home less than 2 years or have sold another primary residence recently and taken the exemption you are likely fine. Also only taxable if gain over $500K. Gain, not sale price. From what you're describing of your situation I suspect you're not sitting on a million dollar home bought for $300K. Even if you are, you still get the exclusion for the first $500K.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12747 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
^^^They call those people “halfbacks” because they moved to Florida from up north, couldn’t stand the heat, so they moved half way back.

Joe moved to be near my dad, his only living cousin, not because he(Joe) couldn’t handle the heat-that’s my dad. TBH my dad moved to Tampa in 62-he moved us in 85..I’d say he gave it a good try, and he moved us so we wouldn’t be in a god forsaken overrun huge city with all of its BS.

OP, honestly, I’d move to eastern TN or western NC, low taxes and slim hurricane issue. Just move near a city with good health care, as we all age we will need it.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11488 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post